Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 12:59 #833921

• Grcko
  • Grcko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
So my 440 has been making a lot of noise when cold that goes mostly goes away when warmed up. It also chatters a bit when accelerating. So I decided to check the cam chain. It looked like it might be off a very little bit but I decided the re-set it for good measure. I started to tighten up the bolts that hold the gear on. Finer tight and i put a socket to it and applied some pressure. Dang thing snapped. Ok. No problem. It will be east to get out and replace. Started to take the cap bolts off to remove the cam shaft. Being careful I removed five of them. The last one snapped with just a bit of pressure. Ok. I went in the shop and removed the one from the gear with no problem. Spent the next hour flattening the cap bolt, center punch it and drill it out for an easy out. Put some Kroil in and tighten the easy out until it no longer move with some pressure. waited a bit and them using a heat gun I heated it until it was hot to the touch. Slight pressure to turn it, wait a minute, continue. then the dang easy out snapped. FML! I have a lot of time and money into this bike and now I need a new head. I just restored this one a few months ago. I am not sure where to go now. Do I find another head (only one new bare bones one for sale at $250 and no used ones I can find)? Try to find an entire engine as this one has the noise issues? Wait until I find a used bike for sale at a cheap price and use mine for the good parts? Sorry for the rant but I am really frustrated and disappointed. I have really enjoyed riding this bike this summer and now....
As Always,

1983 KZ440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 13:38 #833926

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Take it to a decent machine shop. They can usually save the day on situations like this. Most good shops won't even charge a whole lot to do it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 14:02 #833928

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
loudhvx gave excellent advice! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 14:59 #833932

• riturbo
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 276
Use a masonry bit and drill out the easy out . Works
Gpz 750 turbo The one I ride
Gpz 750 turbo Not finished
Gpz 750 turbo Not started
Gpz 550 1981
Gpz 550 1983
Bunch of other junk

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 15:47 #833936

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2598
Being a easy out is tapered light tapping on it with a punch can loosen it enough to get it free enough to pull out with a magnet. It can take time to get it loose enough with gentle prying it from side to side. I hate those things. I got myself in REAL trouble breaking off a tap in a hard to reach hole. I took a old broken nail punch, ground the end making an extractor. Now that was a pucker moment. When it backed right out was almost as good as sex. :woohoo:
Steve

Attachments:

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 16:55 #833937

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 622
:ohmy:

I think he meant to say better than six...like a six pack of his favorite beer, yes?

:whistle:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 17:08 #833939

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
:lol: :lol: :lol: Have it your way. :woohoo:
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Disapointing Day 29 Aug 2020 19:23 #833956

• Grcko
  • User
Thanks for the ideas. I tried to tap it loose but it is in there like a rock. I think that is going to make it worse as there is no room to do much more than to tap it in more The masonry bit would tap it a bit but would take material off. It might take a day or two to cut it out though. I am going to sleep on it and see what I think in the morning.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

Disapointing Day 30 Aug 2020 05:50 #833969

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
Masonry bits are Tungsten carbide and will cut hardened steels.
You may need to sharpen it and use some oil but you have a good chance of drilling the easy out.
Just be sure to use a slow speed.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Disapointing Day 30 Aug 2020 05:57 #833971

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2658
Screw extractors should be banned from the planet for use by everyone except experts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grcko

Disapointing Day 30 Aug 2020 07:12 #833986

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
While tapping on the broken piece you hold the punch lightly allowing it to bounce. Eventually the broken piece begins to bounce as well allowing it to be extracted with a magnet. It will go in just so far then becomes sloppy in the hole. Reverse drills are the best way to remove broken bolts but they can also break causing you the same problem. All just a part of wrenching. Everyone has been there. :whistle:
Steve

Disapointing Day 30 Aug 2020 09:47 #833999

• Grcko
  • User
Well I tried every trick I knew and the ones you offered up and the end result is I am going to get a new head. Oh well, it is just money. And thank goodness for a wife who doesn't mind my hobby. Thanks for the input all. It is really nice to have a place to go to help from people who really know their chit.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

• Page: