TOPIC:

Moto America 23 Dec 2019 11:58 #815780

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, bluej58, PA_Robert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SWest.

Moto America 25 Dec 2019 06:45 #815853

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
It's a long time since I've been to Road America and the Mrs. has never been there, I know she's up for it so maybe this year we'll go for it.
I've never camped on the property before , they didn't have it back then, we we always stayed across the road or at Plymouth Rock, that place was crazy but fun :woohoo:
78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: SWest

Moto America 25 Dec 2019 15:54 #815868

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Its funny that Moto America with their proposed Heritage Cup classes are bringing back the same motorcycles that in their heyday had starting grids of 40 to 50 bikes, and raced in front of packed grandstands!!!! The major problem with Moto America's classes that they race today is they all look and sound the same. 600 Supersport or 1000 Supersport, and even the 1000 Superbike class ALL LOOK AND SOUND THE SAME to most paying spectators. Back in the heydays of American road racing you had the 250cc two stroke GP class with its own look and sound. Battle of the Twins again with their own sound and looks. Formula 1 class with its four cylinder two strokes and the four stroke bikes again with their own sound and looks. Then you had the Superbike class which most spectators could relate too because they looked just like the very same bikes they rode on the street!!!!

That is all gone today. Like I said, all the bikes racing today all look and sound the same. Plus most classes today have only from 15 to 20 bikes starting each race.......very sad. I think what Moto America is trying to do is bring back what racing was like back in its heyday. Different looking and sounding motorcycles racing again for the paying fans. Bet you if they run the Vintage Superbike class there will be more bikes in that class than any two other present classes put together!!!!!!

The worse thing they did to road racing was getting rid of all the two stroke road race bikes like the Yamaha Tz250's and Tz750's. Their sound and their aroma are missed by many real true fans. Nothing beats the aroma of a Tz750 running R30 warming up in the cool morning air!!!! Can't wait to hear the big 1000cc Superbikes blasting through the Kettle Bottoms down to Canada Corner!!!!

This is what Moto America wants to bring back!!!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, slayer61, SWest

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Moto America 25 Dec 2019 16:12 #815870

• SWest
  • SWest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I wish I could go. :unsure:
Steve

Moto America 26 Dec 2019 06:37 #815882

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 600
Heritage Cup racing at IMS Aug. 21 - 23. :cheer:

It's on our calendar.

We went to every MotoGP race at IMS before they pulled they the plug. We always rode two of our Z1's up there; a pleasant half-day backroads ride to & from.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

Last edit: by slmjim+Z1BEBE.

Moto America 26 Dec 2019 16:29 #815907

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664

slmjim+Z1BEBE wrote: Heritage Cup racing at IMS Aug. 21 - 23. :cheer:

It's on our calendar.

We went to every MotoGP race at IMS before they pulled they the plug. We always rode two of our Z1's up there; a pleasant half-day backroads ride to & from.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

The road course at IMS is not really what most people would call a proper road course. Truthfully it is a flat, boring, Mickey Mouse circuit!!!! Ride or drive the extra 300 or so miles and go up to Road America and see what a REAL road course looks like. Road America is more like an European road course. Its long, fast, and has huge elevation changes per lap just like the natural road courses in Europe. Its like the Spa-Francorchamps of America. Only thing missing at Road America is a corner like Spa's Eau Rouge!!! The Kink at Road America would be close and will put your heart in your throat!!!

You will not be disappointed if you make the trip up to Elkhart Lake. I have been to most of the road courses in this country, and NOTHING comes close to Road America, end of question!!! Plus the track food is EXCELLENT!!! I just wish I could afford to make a trip back to Road America.

Coming out of turn 14 and cresting the hill on the main straightaway!!!

Looking down to turn 5. Nice place to sit if its super hot!!!

Aerial view from the northeast side of track.
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:

Last edit: by Dr. Gamma.

Moto America 26 Dec 2019 18:26 #815911

• seanbarney41
  • User
  • '79 kz1000 LTD '75 Honda CB750
  • Thank you received: 23
As far as motoamerica gos...i say don't hate, participate. Dr. Gamma neglected to mention that they do run a twins class and also the ktm cup for the young dudes. I watched every race last season, and that sanctioning body has worked hard to save American road racing. The reason grids are not bigger is because of you all, the average american, is apparently, to fat, lazy, and/or ignorant to get off their ass and devote their attention to any thing that doesn't resemble big time wrestling, i.e. nascar. So if you like road racing, support it. Don't bad mouth it because it's not as big as back in the day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, jowek70

Last edit: by seanbarney41.

Moto America 27 Dec 2019 06:28 #815926

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • Away
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
  • Thank you received: 600

Dr. Gamma wrote: The road course at IMS is not really what most people would call a proper road course. Truthfully it is a flat, boring, Mickey Mouse circuit!!!! Ride or drive the extra 300 or so miles and go up to Road America and see what a REAL road course looks like.

We've been to Road America and Road Atlanta both, back in the day when bikes were routinely running at each. Throw in Daytona for classic World Superbike in the day, Mid-Ohio for WERA, and Barber Motorsports, and there are many bike racing venues reasonably close for us that are/were running races.

Key word there is "close".

IMS is our "home" track, so to speak; an easy half-day ride for us on some decent backroads. In the past, we were constrained by work schedules. Now in retirement that's no longer the case; we can venture afield for days or weeks at a time if we wish. Laguna seca is high on our bucket list. A trip to Germany for racing at Nürburgring is in the planning stages, as is Isle of Mann for the TT. Now THERE'S a couple of road courses!
We attended every MotoGP at IMS to cheer on our home-state MotoGP World Champion, Nicky Hayden, as well as to see the spectacle. Whichever two of our Z1's we rode to IMS were on Pagoda plaza for the Pagoda Shows when they had them. We did track laps on them.

We're happy to see bikes return to IMS. We're happy to see any bike racing in the U.S.!

No disputing that other tracks are larger & more interesting than IMS. Why not appreciate that IMS management worked with what they had to make the infield course a reality? Criticizing IMS may discourage a new attendee from even making the effort. Denigrating a necessarily-limited infield road course at a historic racing venue because it's physically constrained is just a small thing to do. No pun intended... :dry:

seanbarney41 wrote: As far as motoamerica gos...i say don't hate, participate. Dr. Gamma neglected to mention that they do run a twins class and also the ktm cup for the young dudes. I watched every race last season, and that sanctioning body has worked hard to save American road racing. The reason grids are not bigger is because of you all, the average american, is apparently, to fat, lazy, and/or ignorant to get off their ass and devote their attention to any thing that doesn't resemble big time wrestling, i.e. nascar. So if you like road racing, support it. Don't bad mouth it because it's not as big as back in the day.

We've never understood the fascination with roundy-round NASCAR or "wrasslin' ". Give us fast action on a track that has both left AND right turns and you have our interest, regardless of wheel count. Neither have we ever understood the fascination with schoolyard stick & ball clubs.

Valentino Rossi is a household name in Europe and, especially, his home country of Italy. Mention The Kentucky Kid, or say the name Nicky Hayden, even in his home state of Kentucky, and your average bawll-cwubb sheeple will say "Uuuu... who?" But most know the names of overpaid ball-chasers. That's truly sad.

We will happily support Moto America wherever & whenever we can. Want to see more bike racing in the U.S.? Please do the same, and encourage others, regardless of venue.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE
A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1972 Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

• Page: