whats my bike worth? should i sell it

• kz650hardtail
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jul 2018 01:24 #787731 by kz650hardtail
whats my bike worth? should i sell it was created by kz650hardtail
ok guys im new to the forum but not new to bikes. first off i love my kz650b but lately ive been having problems with popping throttle cables. im contemplating selling it and getting something else. i live in new orleans and its a hardtail and very low to the ground. if youve ever been to nola then you know how bad the streets are. and if you havent.....trust me they're f...ed. my question is.... what to ask for the bike? ive put tons work into it and truth be told dont really wanna sell it but i could dig some shocks every now and then. also i got a kz1000 motor and harness im planning on putting on it (at some point) just need a rack of carbs. should i sell it? keep it? put the big motor on? im kinda stuck here so any insight would be much appreciated. the pics below are about a year and a half old. its got some paint since then (all black)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
27 Jul 2018 04:12 #787732 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic whats my bike worth? should i sell it
No Pictures attached 

Hardtails have very few takers.

Most on this site and most bike owners I know only like to look at a hardtail bike . 

Without pictures a price estimate would not be fair to you

Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
27 Jul 2018 05:09 #787733 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic whats my bike worth? should i sell it
Sell it.  Putting a bigger motor in it won't help with the lack of suspension.

A KZ1000 engine alone is worth some good money.  Not sure about the 650 but it only takes one...

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
27 Jul 2018 05:39 #787735 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic whats my bike worth? should i sell it
If it's a true hardtail frame it's likely worth more if you part it out.  Not many bikers, even, are interested in getting the snot beat out of them from the butt up.  No Riders at all will be interested in something so limited in functionality.

If it's a conventional frame that has struts in place of the rear shocks, it will be much easier to sell if you install decent shocks in place of the struts.

As Nessim indicates, a KZ1000 motor is desirable.  Should be an easy sell.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
27 Jul 2018 05:53 - 27 Jul 2018 06:00 #787736 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic whats my bike worth? should i sell it
Pull a selling price out of thin air, then list it. Keep the description short & to the point. nobody cares how much time & money you have in it. There are plenty of home-fabbed bobber chopper type motorcycles around, so surely there must be a market. If priced too high, it won't sell then sit unsold for months if not years. So in spite of how much money, time & effort you've put into it, pick a reasonable price to get rid of it asap.
Different strokes for different folk, but I doubt you could get $1500. this is just a wild guess, especially without pics.
But you never know sometimes, so list the thing. :)

Throttle cables. resolving the problem shouldn't be too hard. maybe the ones you got are too short or you need to properly lubricate them. Inspect the ends to make sure they don't have any burrs or flaws. if so, file them smooth. Also, check the throttle grip where the cables fit to make sure it's good.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2018 06:00 by martin_csr.

More
27 Jul 2018 06:44 #787738 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic whats my bike worth? should i sell it
Unless you find someone who has never ridden a hardtail it sounds like it may end up being bought as a parts bike.  Forget putting the 1000 engine in the 650 frame.  It can be done but it requires extensive frame modification, so you would never get your money back.  Sell that engine separately.  Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jul 2018 07:01 #787739 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic whats my bike worth? should i sell it
Saw some guy on a hardtailed Honda CB750 this morning.  Had a Sportster peanut style tank on it.  Dude seemed happy.  I was happy to hear that there was some level exhaust muffling going on.  At any rate, there is a market for that type of bike.  Throw it on Craigslist at $1500 and wait for an offer.  And yes, sell the KZ1000 motor separate for sure.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jul 2018 10:01 #787744 by SWest