Looking at buying my first KZ...maybe

More
19 Dec 2017 18:29 - 19 Dec 2017 18:32 #776376 by JordanDM
Looking at buying my first KZ...maybe was created by JordanDM
i dont think my first post showed up, so lets try again.

im looking at buying a 76 kz900, it has sat for years, and i do know the work involved in old bikes, i restored a GS850 suzuki years back...ive wanted a kz for a while, and finally found one for around 150 bucks, all original, with a title

the only thing that scared me from buying a kz is the crank issues, does anyone true/weld them up still that does a good proper job?i like and prefer doing my own work, but this seems out of my skill range

i dont plan on much performance mods on this bike(if i buy it) but the biggest will be a 4-1 header and electronic ignition upgrade..

i just want a good solid reliable bike, is the KZ900 that solid reliable old air cooled bike im looking for that does whatever i ask of it,? maybe a rather long trip, a weekend or 2 at the drag strip and just a fun street bike (once crank is welded)
Last edit: 19 Dec 2017 18:32 by JordanDM.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Dec 2017 18:42 #776377 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Looking at buying my first KZ...maybe
There are several good crank shops. Just don't use Falicon. I'm no big KZ expert but I don't think a welded crank is a necessity unless you are planning to beat on the bike pretty hard.

As far as basic reliability is concern, if you do a proper restoration there is no reason the bike shouldn't take you where you want to go. Realize of course that you are talking about a 42 year old bike though.

For $150 it seems like a no-brainer purchase.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Dec 2017 18:48 #776378 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Looking at buying my first KZ...maybe
Buy it. I've been riding the piss out of my Z1 40 years. The KZ had minor differences (carbs, etc.) and will not disappoint you.
Steve