Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650

More
05 Dec 2017 09:54 #775598 by 650Dude
Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650 was created by 650Dude
I have a lot of toys in my garage, a few vintage cars and three bikes. My wife bought a new car so I have to put one of the bikes outside for a bit until I can build a shed. The temps in the Northeast are set to drop below freezing later this week and all of next week, going so low as 24 degrees F, about -5C at night,

What is the danger of leaving a bike outside in this sort of weather. None of my vehicles have ever been out over winter, so I dont know..

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2017 13:24 - 05 Dec 2017 14:00 #775605 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650
Same dilemma here. :(
My bike was moved to a covered porch next to my house in an area protected from snow and wind, but not from potentially subzero temperatures. If it must stay there, then I'll store several components in the house, but much of the bike/engine will be left out in the cold.
I will likely remove the gas tank, carbs, battery, seat, side covers, mirrors, Dyna module, and megaphone. The cylinders would be fogged prior to capping the intake ports and exhaust opening, and the spark plugs reinserted before covering it up for months of hibernation.
Any suggestions to add would be helpful.

:blink:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 14:00 by daveo.

More
05 Dec 2017 13:45 - 05 Dec 2017 13:47 #775607 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650

650Dude wrote: I have a lot of toys in my garage, a few vintage cars and three bikes. My wife bought a new car so I have to put one of the bikes outside for a bit until I can build a shed. The temps in the Northeast are set to drop below freezing later this week and all of next week, going so low as 24 degrees F, about -5C at night,

What is the danger of leaving a bike outside in this sort of weather. None of my vehicles have ever been out over winter, so I dont know..

If just outside and not riding for a few days bring the battery inside the house. -5C probably wont freeze the battery but room temperature is better. If the battery is inside all winter then charge it up about once a month

If you are leaving the bike out and not riding all winter then also put Stabil in the gas tank and fill to the top to prevent rust.
Drain the carbs.
Fog the cylinders or put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinders and turn the engine over.
Block the exhaust and air box to prevent critters.
Put bike on center stand so rear wheel off the ground and prop a 4x 4 under the triple tree to raise the front wheel off the ground also.
Put a breathable motorcycle cover over the bike.
Forget about it until Spring
I also change the oil and filter first and some people recommend washing the bike.

Temperatures here can go down to -25C over the Winter and doing the above I rarely have problems starting up in the spring

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 05 Dec 2017 13:47 by JR.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
05 Dec 2017 13:52 #775609 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650
It's also a good idea to warm it up and change the oil before leaving it sit all Winter

78 KZ1000 A2A
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650Dude

More
05 Dec 2017 14:22 #775611 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650
I do not let my bike sit through the winter (or any other length of time) without running the engine for 15 minutes or so once a week. Running the engine for a few minutes once a week keeps oil on parts such as cams, etc.; keeps the battery charged; and most importantly keeps the fuel from turning into muck in the carbs.

With 1 exception, I have done this since buying my KZ650 in April, 1977. That 1 exception taught me the following lesson. After letting the bike sit unstarted for months the fuel in the carbs had shed some sort of varnish. That varnish coated carb internals. When I charged the battery and started the bike it started fine. However, when riding it I found it would not accelerate beyond about 50 mph. Not cool. I removed the carbs and carefully cleaned them, and that eliminated the problem.

Since learning that lesson I have never let the bike sit for much more than 1 week without starting the engine and letting it run for a few minutes. One other big benefit of doing this is the fact that when warm weather returns you know without a doubt the bike will start right up and be ready to ride. No muss – no fuss. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
05 Dec 2017 16:36 #775619 by 650Dude
Replied by 650Dude on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650

bluej58 wrote: It's also a good idea to warm it up and change the oil before leaving it sit all Winter

Thanks everyone. I wont leave the bike just sitting. I will use it every other day. I just HATE leaving any of my vehicles outside in the cold.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
More
05 Dec 2017 16:52 #775621 by Scirocco
Attachments:

More
06 Dec 2017 20:05 #775676 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650
I rode to work, weather permitting for 30yrs on a KZ650. Never sat outside except at work during the day, but sitting in the unheated garage I can say the KZ650 is not a great cold weather vehical. The hardest starting vehical ever in cold weather. Thank the Lord for a kick starter as it will be needed in cold weather. Of course cold is a relative term, 25 degrees or whatever is not that cold.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Dec 2017 10:51 - 07 Dec 2017 10:53 #775705 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650
The main problem with sitting in an uncontrolled environment is condensation. After a cold night, a warm moist morning will cover the bike with condensation which then likes to settle into all of the tightest crevices and work its way into bolt threads. Even in a garage (un-heated) I see condensation in the winter. When I used to store the bikes in a heated basement, the parts bikes could sit for years and look exactly like the day I stored them. In an unheated garage, just a few months will show pitting and rust, most notably on the exhaust pipes (cheap aftermarket exhausts have really thin chrome and crappy paint, factory exhaust fared far better).
Last edit: 07 Dec 2017 10:53 by loudhvx.

More
08 Dec 2017 07:41 #775744 by 650Dude

loudhvx wrote: The main problem with sitting in an uncontrolled environment is condensation. After a cold night, a warm moist morning will cover the bike with condensation which then likes to settle into all of the tightest crevices and work its way into bolt threads. Even in a garage (un-heated) I see condensation in the winter. When I used to store the bikes in a heated basement, the parts bikes could sit for years and look exactly like the day I stored them. In an unheated garage, just a few months will show pitting and rust, most notably on the exhaust pipes (cheap aftermarket exhausts have really thin chrome and crappy paint, factory exhaust fared far better).

The bike will be covered though in re condensation

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin

More
08 Dec 2017 20:25 #775762 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Cold Temps And a Covered Bike KZ650

650Dude wrote:

I don't think a cover, by itself, will stop condensation. Any air that gets in will deposit moisture on any cold metal surface that the air can get too. In fact a water-proof cover will cause the metal to stay wet longer and corrode worse. A breathable cover will keep dust off, but won't prevent the condensation entirely.

Or do you mean a shed-like cover? That would be better. But even in my garage, the aluminum will be sweating whenever a warm, moist day follows a cold day.

The best thing would be to keep the metal parts of the bike about 1 degree warmer than the surrounding air. That would keep off the condensation. Even just a light bulb under the oil pan might be enough if wind can't get to it.

More
09 Dec 2017 14:41 #775775 by 650Dude

loudhvx wrote:

650Dude wrote:

I don't think a cover, by itself, will stop condensation. Any air that gets in will deposit moisture on any cold metal surface that the air can get too. In fact a water-proof cover will cause the metal to stay wet longer and corrode worse. A breathable cover will keep dust off, but won't prevent the condensation entirely.

Or do you mean a shed-like cover? That would be better. But even in my garage, the aluminum will be sweating whenever a warm, moist day follows a cold day.

The best thing would be to keep the metal parts of the bike about 1 degree warmer than the surrounding air. That would keep off the condensation. Even just a light bulb under the oil pan might be enough if wind can't get to it.

My neighbor just sold one of his cars, He has a temp controlled garage for his other vehicles and let me put in there.

1977 Kawasaki KZ650B
1977 Kawasaki KZ750 Twin