Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 31 May 2017 19:30 #763206

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I think your doing good.... the dyno guy said to drop your mains 2 to 3 steps so you could try one more to 125s and you leaning the needle a clip should help out the mid range being too rich too......... maybe try the comp baffle easy enough to change out and might be a half step leaner on the mid and top end with it in ?? I love mine but I find it hard to feel small changes and if it helps or not. Not sure about the air jet.... on my 29s I've read no one changing this out and they all come with a (.9) from a 650 to a 1100 but of course different carb diff set up....... More money and maybe a pain but Maybe another dyno run to see what the air/fuel mix looks like with the changes and if you gained any more hp ??

I'm working on my 29s (striped down for a cleaning and o rings) and may still do a dyno with the 24s then the 29s a few weeks later again just to see what they really do.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 31 May 2017 20:02 #763207

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I put the street baffle on and it was like shoving a cork up it's butt. I took it off after a trip to the store.
Steve

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 07:43 #763322

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 633
I really appreciate all the input guy's...THANKS!

Pilot Air Jets 0.8 (not .08) :S
Main Jets 127.5
Needle-clip in second notch...runs great and idles smooth...some pings if I open the throttle too quick at lower rpm, but none at mid-top range. Using regular gas.

Currently we have have 60's and 70's with low humidity. It is simply beautiful :)

What effect will the coming Summer heat and humidity will have on jetting?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 09:31 #763333

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
I'm concerned about the "pinging." Put 100 miles on before making changes.
Steve

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 09:46 #763334

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
I may be speaking wrongly here but there seems to be a fly in the soup, your dyno guy saying your mid-range has a rich condition, I'd ask him if he did the pull rolling on the throttle all the way thru or did he pin it? If pinned, the needle move isn't going to affect the rich condition the dyno is showing, needles only work thru the part throttle, at wide open they are non functioning. With that said, I don't know how to steer you to a way to it other than choose the leanest condition you'll accept and let the rest ride. Hope I made some sense.

Les Holt

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 10:04 #763335

• daveo
  • Premium Member

SWest wrote: I'm concerned about the "pinging." Put 100 miles on before making changes.
Steve

Sorry, too many things going on, and my head is spinning...been going back and forth with air jets from 0.7 (rich) to 0.9 (lean), and the pinging was primarily with the 0.9 jets before switching back to 0.8's and 70mm stacks, so I plan to stay away from the 0.9's.

The bike ran great last night and I didn't notice any pings, but that may change again as the air temps and humidity rise :unsure:
Not sure about higher-octane fuel either, since all it did before these changes was make the spark plugs turn black.
1982 KZ1100-A2

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 10:25 #763336

• daveo
  • Premium Member

les holt wrote: I may be speaking wrongly here but there seems to be a fly in the soup, your dyno guy saying your mid-range has a rich condition, I'd ask him if he did the pull rolling on the throttle all the way thru or did he pin it? If pinned, the needle move isn't going to affect the rich condition the dyno is showing, needles only work thru the part throttle, at wide open they are non functioning. With that said, I don't know how to steer you to a way to it other than choose the leanest condition you'll accept and let the rest ride. Hope I made some sense.

Les Holt

I think that makes sense. He had to roll it to avoid gulping too-much fuel, same as I needed to do while riding it.
Strange how I had convinced myself that all was so-wonderful...:whistle:

It runs so-quiet and nice just putz'n, but for some reason I just gotta get on it. I can only ride easy for a little bit. :S
What is wrong with me?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 15:33 #763359

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Thanks Les that's the kind of info that will help us understand that chart and mine if I get around to it....... as for the weather hotter will rich in things up slightly but I think mostly only drag racers might go to the trouble of changing things out over the season....... Since you only have 8.9 to one comp I wonder if reg might be your best bet or maybe with a little 89 mixed in ?

Found A Phillips 66 station only 15 miles from were I work one day a week that has 91 oct pure gas so I'm gonna get a 5 gal can of it or 2 to try it out....... EDIT ...... ha just went to a small town that has garage sales 5 miles away and found a 5 gal plastic can for 3 bucks after complaining to my wife we'll never find anyone that will want to sell one.

O yah and there is nothing wrong with ya....... just ask Steve these were made to "ride the piss out of em" once in a while.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo, SWest

Last edit: by KZB2 650.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 02 Jun 2017 17:01 #763368

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Actually, when you roll on it it's getting more fuel, they go lean when you pin the throttle at low RPMs, less velocity to get a fuel signal. This is why big carbs really bog on smaller motors. They starve for fuel.

Les

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 03 Jun 2017 07:25 #763402

• daveo
  • Premium Member

les holt wrote: Actually, when you roll on it it's getting more fuel, they go lean when you pin the throttle at low RPMs, less velocity to get a fuel signal. This is why big carbs really bog on smaller motors. They starve for fuel.

Les

Ok, I'm starting to get the picture. :blink:
A bigger pilot jet should minimize and potentially eliminate that...right?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 03 Jun 2017 13:51 #763429

• daveo
  • Premium Member

daveo wrote:

les holt wrote: Actually, when you roll on it it's getting more fuel, they go lean when you pin the throttle at low RPMs, less velocity to get a fuel signal. This is why big carbs really bog on smaller motors. They starve for fuel.

Les

Ok, I'm starting to get the picture. :blink:
A bigger pilot jet should minimize and potentially eliminate that...right?

Ok, tried that...back to the 120's again?

I'll hold off for now, and see what logical/simple-fix suggestions you guy's dare care to offer up. :P
Please keep in-mind that this must be an entirely enjoyable learning experience for ALL of us, myself included. Thanks. :lol:
1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: by daveo.

Dynamometer Appointment Scheduled 03 Jun 2017 13:53 #763430

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Run it for a while then check your plugs.
Steve