Spare Nuts And Bolts.

• Dr. Gamma
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
18 Oct 2016 11:56 - 18 Oct 2016 12:04 #745583 by Dr. Gamma
Spare Nuts And Bolts. was created by Dr. Gamma
Went over to a friends house to help him with his bike. I don't make it a habit of helping people with their bikes because I end up doing most of the work. With my bad back, and arthritis, I hate working on the floor on someone else's bike!!!! What's worse than that is when you need one small bolt, or even a washer. They dig out all these Folgers coffee cans full of dirt and grease covered bolts, of which half have stripped threads, rounded off heads, or just plain bent like a pretzel!!!! Twenty minutes he is still searching for a lousy 6X20mm bolt!!!

What a waste of time. If you own just ONE motorcycle, you will eventually need some spare hardware. Why would anyone with a sound mind keep worthless nuts and bolts. Do you think they are going to rejuvenate themselves inside your Folgers coffee cans!!!! Give me a fuc*ing break!!!!! Instead of sitting in a bar one night and pounding down those six dollar beers, spend that cash on some brand new fasteners, and other common hardware. The dealerships are on drugs for what they charge for any type of fastener. My local dealer wanted 2.87 for a flanged 6mm nut by Suzuki part number. Fastenal stocks metric hardware, and lots of it now. Spend some of that beer money once a week, and you will be amazed on what you can accumulate in a few months.

My collection of small Suzuki parts all in order.

My small Suzuki parts before I organized them.

Top boxes are my KZ1000 spare little parts and O.E.M. fasteners like case bolts. Bottom boxes are all the Suzuki little parts.

This is the way I keep all my common nuts and bolts. No Folgers coffee cans for me!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2016 12:04 by Dr. Gamma. Reason: Kan't speelle
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
18 Oct 2016 13:20 #745601 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
Fastenal has had everything we've ever needed in metric fasteners. Their website is so huge its sometimes difficult to find what we're looking for, but it's always been there. They even have JIS screws. Ship to store for free and pick up on will-call.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
18 Oct 2016 15:10 #745612 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.

Dr. Gamma wrote: ........ Why would anyone with a sound mind keep worthless nuts and bolts. Do you think they are going to rejuvenate themselves inside your Folgers coffee cans!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Truer words were never written! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
18 Oct 2016 17:13 #745623 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
I have an unlimited supply of like new metric hardware when I replace a motor at work
there's all those one time in from the factory 6 to 12 mm nut's, bolt's, flat and lock washer's
of all type's so I strip the hardware off them.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
19 Oct 2016 04:58 #745643 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
Does Fastenal sell bolts that are the same as stock, having the stock type bolt heads?

More
19 Oct 2016 05:33 #745645 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
The bolts used on KZ's are JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). The threads on JIS bolts are regular metric threads, but some JIS bolt sizes use different size hex heads than their metric counterpart. FInding exact matches can be challenging. The site below does offer some JIS bolts in diameters where the head size is different than standard metric bolts. Ed

www.boltdepot.com/Metric_JIS_hex_bolts.aspx

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Oct 2016 07:27 #745740 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
Not trying to hijack the thread, but the same applies for tools. A place for everything and everything in its place. I hate stopping by to help a friend, asking for a 10mm socket and like the coffee can, they start digging in a drawer full of sockets. They might produce the right socket by the 5th try. Worse yet is when they find a a 7/16 and say "this should work". AHHHHH!
I was fortunate that a professional M/C mechanic let me hang around his home shop when I was young. As I started to buy my own tools he sat me down and explained how a tool chest should be set up and organized. I've added a lot of tools over the 40 years since. Ask me for 1/4 drive 8mm deep well 6 point socket and I'll have one in your hand on the first try. I also know the second I open a drawer if any tool is missing. I didn't lock my tool chest when my kids were young because I wanted to encourage their mechanical development. They learned pretty quick that Dad would know immediately if they didn't put a tool away and life was going to be unpleasant until order was restored in tool chest world.

• Dr. Gamma
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
25 Oct 2016 11:41 #746183 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.

MDZ1rider wrote: Not trying to hijack the thread, but the same applies for tools. A place for everything and everything in its place. I hate stopping by to help a friend, asking for a 10mm socket and like the coffee can, they start digging in a drawer full of sockets. They might produce the right socket by the 5th try. Worse yet is when they find a a 7/16 and say "this should work". AHHHHH!
I was fortunate that a professional M/C mechanic let me hang around his home shop when I was young. As I started to buy my own tools he sat me down and explained how a tool chest should be set up and organized. I've added a lot of tools over the 40 years since. Ask me for 1/4 drive 8mm deep well 6 point socket and I'll have one in your hand on the first try. I also know the second I open a drawer if any tool is missing. I didn't lock my tool chest when my kids were young because I wanted to encourage their mechanical development. They learned pretty quick that Dad would know immediately if they didn't put a tool away and life was going to be unpleasant until order was restored in tool chest world.

Worse yet is when a "friend" wants to borrow one of your special factory tools that cost a small fortune, and are No Longer Available!!!

My answer was always, No problem, just let me borrow your wife for a few hours too!!!!! That usually ends that conversation pretty quickly.

The other problem when a few people know you have a bunch of spares at home. Is you WILL at one time or another get a call at 2.00AM asking if you would sell them a small but vital part so they can finish their motor, and can go racing in the morning!!!!

Trust me it has happened to me more than once!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Oct 2016 14:00 #746190 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
Or "Hey man, let me ride your bike."
NOPE :lol:
Steve

More
26 Oct 2016 07:57 #746253 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
Caswell's Plating Zinc Plating kit. Recycle your old hardware to look like new. Not cheap but worth it.

[IMG

[IMG

More
26 Oct 2016 08:40 #746257 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.
I tried a DIY plating kit, takes too much time unless you fab up a barrel plater. I just send it out to a plating company, grease, rust and all. I know Lowes carries 10mm head 6mm bolts.

My stash of Z1 and modern MX stuff

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
03 Nov 2016 21:03 #747213 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Spare Nuts And Bolts.

MDZ1rider wrote: Not trying to hijack the thread, but the same applies for tools. A place for everything and everything in its place. I hate stopping by to help a friend, asking for a 10mm socket and like the coffee can, they start digging in a drawer full of sockets. They might produce the right socket by the 5th try. Worse yet is when they find a a 7/16 and say "this should work". AHHHHH!

Would you consider giving all of us a small write-up about the reasoning behind how you organize your tool chest?
Be great for those of us that never had the chance to sit with a good teacher. I came upon a system for myself but still take a few tries to get the one wrench I really want and would love to know more.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)