How annoyed would you be?

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
More
15 Jul 2016 09:35 - 15 Jul 2016 09:59 #735037 by Zaddict
How annoyed would you be? was created by Zaddict
Took my bike to a shop to replace the front tire and the drive chain and sprockets. As far as I can tell the work they did was OK mechanically, but the bike was kind of a mess afterwards. Well, relatively anyway - I wash it religiously and my sanity varies almost one-to-one with the condition of my ride. When I got the bike back there were grease marks all over the place. Sloppy, but not a big deal. It does make me think the shop doesn't give a shit. Then I also noticed a little gash on the rear brake caliper. Looks like a tool slipped and not only removed some paint but cut into the metal. Slightly bigger deal since there is actual damage. And again, just makes me think they don't give a shit, at least in terms of how they treat bikes cosmetically. I really can't imagine treating anyone's bike that way. I don't think I'm going to go so far as a negative Yelp review (those linger long after places may have made positive changes), but I do want to let them know I'm not a happy camper. How annoyed would you be?

This is one reason of many I'm loathe to let anyone touch my bike but me!!!

Attachment za1.JPG not found

Attachment za2.JPG not found

Attachment za3.JPG not found

Attachment za4.JPG not found

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 09:59 by Patton.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2016 09:36 - 15 Jul 2016 10:02 #735039 by Zaddict
Replied by Zaddict on topic How annoyed would you be?
have no idea why the pics are displaying upside down - sorry!

[Should be okay now -- Patton]

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
K&N Air Filter...
Last edit: 15 Jul 2016 10:02 by Patton.

More
15 Jul 2016 09:55 #735042 by Shabba
Replied by Shabba on topic How annoyed would you be?
I'd be back at that shop speaking to the shop manager. That is unprofessional for a purported business. No excuse.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

More
15 Jul 2016 10:03 #735043 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic How annoyed would you be?
Sorry man but you are being far too kind. I'd blast those assholes.
That is BS

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2016 10:08 #735044 by Zaddict
Well part of the issue is that this shop is 1/2 block from my office, and I work all the time. So it would be really great if I could rely on them/coax them to do good work. Just flaming them wouldn't accomplish much, though I suppose it would warn others. Also, it's very clear that at least at some point someone there had a lot of love of motorcycles...but maybe that's no longer the case with the current crew.

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
K&N Air Filter...

More
15 Jul 2016 10:39 #735047 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic How annoyed would you be?

Zaddict wrote: Well part of the issue is that this shop is 1/2 block from my office, and I work all the time. So it would be really great if I could rely on them/coax them to do good work. Just flaming them wouldn't accomplish much, though I suppose it would warn others. Also, it's very clear that at least at some point someone there had a lot of love of motorcycles...but maybe that's no longer the case with the current crew.

Then go back with the bike ASAP, and that same attitude. Ask them if they are proud if that workmanship and thoughtfulness with your property.
I am in the electronic service business and I'd be very embarrassed by that service and damage to any of my customers equipment.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
15 Jul 2016 17:03 #735072 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic How annoyed would you be?
I have to agree with Bruce here.
Go back to the shop, with these pictures in hand (if you've already cleaned the mess and touched-up the chipped paint) and ask the manager or preferably the business owner if this is what you should expect from them normally?

If it were me, I'd be pissed too and I'd expect something for my anguish - maybe a free tire swap or oil change or something...anything as a sign of respect for your patronage. Also tell the manager/proprietor that you chose not to voice your feelings on Yelp or whatever because you wanted to give him the chance to make it right. Accidents happen. Most worker bees are there only to punch the clock and get out by 5pm. The owner may not even be aware he has careless help on staff.

Who knows. You may yet become a repeat customer! ;)

• Zaddict
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2016 17:10 #735074 by Zaddict
lol, would have been a good idea but I washed that shit off the moment I got home. Can't stand my bike looking like that. I still have the pics though. I'll definitely be in touch with the shop shortly.

1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
K&N Air Filter...

More
15 Jul 2016 17:24 #735076 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic How annoyed would you be?
I've been using the same shop for about 25 years and never got anything like that. I think you should have a chat with the owner.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
15 Jul 2016 18:12 #735079 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic How annoyed would you be?
I don't blame you for being pissed.

Guess why I do all of my own work on my bike. It's because I learned many years ago based on work performed on my Austin Healey 3000 by a "reputable" shop that nearly no shop treats a car or bike as carefully as the vehicle's owner. I suspect this is because for the shop time = money, so the faster they can complete a repair or service the more money they make. No offense intended, but next time consider changing your own tire, chain, and sprockets. Those are fairly simple tasks, and unlike a shop you won't be in a rush so you won't make a mess of it. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
19 Jul 2016 00:24 #735404 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic How annoyed would you be?
I agree with all comments especially wrenchmonkeys' .....ask them what would they do if it were their personal ride?

THEN.... I would check over their work very carefully, if they were that sloppy cosmetically then their wrenching would be equally sloppy.....having sprockets/chain come loose on you at any speed is very dangerous.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
19 Jul 2016 08:21 #735431 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic How annoyed would you be?
I would also go over the work. If they don't have the attention to detail to wipe off their dirty paw prints, who knows what else they missed.

When I was a diesel mechanic I used to wipe off any and all crap like that, even in the engine compartment.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125