Got my KZ650 running like a top, It's a keeper.

More
28 May 2016 19:08 #729026 by MadShad
So I've posted a little about this bike in various sections while I've been trying to sort out what exhaust it had and figuring out what carbs were on it etc. etc.

I found this very close to home and it was is running condition but ran poorly despite the "rebuilt" carbs that all bikes I seem to look at have..
With the help of the site I'm happy to report that this thing runs fantastic!
Items that needed attention were pretty standard, go thru the "rebuilt" carbs and replace orings, gaskets, some missing retainers, clean the accel pump passages (3 were clogged) and raise the needle to help cure a bad lean condition at cruise.
Added a baffle to the wide open V&H exhaust so my ears would stop bleeding and also help fix the lean cruise condition, along with replacing the pods filters with foam UNI style filters.
replaced the rear shocks with used stock shocks, the ones on the bike were 1.5 inches taller than stock and had super stiff springs on them, I could barley reach the ground.
adjusted chain, bled brakes, adjusted clutch and replaced the worn out slipping clutch springs with EBC springs (3rd Kaw this year that needed springs!)
flushed the tank, synced the carbs and lubed the cables.

For my modest effort I'm rewarded with a 9000 mile 36 year old kz650 that has zero leaks, no strange noises and absolutely RIPS!

Shelbyville, Indiana. '80 KZ1000
No more of that talk or I'll put the leeches on you, understand?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2016 19:31 #729028 by 650ed
Congrats! I love my KZ650 too; they really are nice bikes. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More