Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc.

• Yetanotherkzrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 May 2016 07:42 #728637 by Yetanotherkzrider
Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc. was created by Yetanotherkzrider
Has anyone here shipped their large engine parts before? I've decided that I'm going to have my cases, head, covers, and all that from my spare engine vapor blasted at some point. Any tips on packaging and shipping? And does anyone have any experience with this company? What I've seen on their site looks beautiful.
www.restocycle.com/#!vapor-blasting/cuy0
The following user(s) said Thank You: NobleHops

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 May 2016 08:17 #728647 by SWest

More
26 May 2016 09:18 #728657 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc.
Just pack everything in a sturdy box with lots of dunnage around each part. For heavy parts you need firm packing materials, not something light like foam peanuts.

Regarding vapor blasting, I believe this is basically done with a gritty water jet process. I'd plug any blind oil galley passages in the head to keep grit out if you decide to have such a part blasted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPzMOD750

More
26 May 2016 09:57 #728667 by Rockranch
Replied by Rockranch on topic Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc.
Assuming engine is disassembled, you can buy a roll of bubble wrap for pretty cheap (got mine from Walmart) to wrap individual pieces for protection, also using foam peanuts and any good padding for space fill if shipping multiple parts together. W added up bubblewrap is great space fill and weighs basically nothing. As far as a complete engine, I recently used engineshipping.com to have a motor shipped from New York to me in So Cal (his door to mine). I searched and searched and they were the cheapest available...only ForwardAir was cheaper 'IF' you cld get the crated engine to and from the airport. I had a thread on the engine shipping subject but can't seem to find it. ..........................................Mike

Vroom-vroom!!!

(2)-1976 KZ900B-LTD's
1-all stock low mileage...
1 modified
1977 KZ1000 (awaiting resurrection!) :)
...and an old school Honda CB750 Chopper is next on my bucket list!

Oh...and a Pocket Rocket lol!!!

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
  • A happy present from the earth!
More
02 Sep 2016 08:30 - 02 Sep 2016 09:12 #740898 by NobleHops
Replied by NobleHops on topic Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc.

Yetanotherkzrider wrote: Has anyone here shipped their large engine parts before? I've decided that I'm going to have my cases, head, covers, and all that from my spare engine vapor blasted at some point. Any tips on packaging and shipping? And does anyone have any experience with this company? What I've seen on their site looks beautiful.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

Yes, that's my outfit (and thank you and Steve for the kind words!), and my Z1 build thread is here on this site too.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600077-the...1975-z1?limitstart=0

Here's what my Z1 engine looked like after vapor blasting (and a wee bit o reassembly):

[img

The absolute best way to get stuff here safely is to double-box as was suggested. The two problem parts are the head and cylinders - they are so much heavier than everything else they are like wrecking balls in a box with other lighter parts. I wrap those two parts tightly in cardboard, then put them into a larger box surrounded by the heaviest dunnage I have, stiff crumpled paper, folded cardboard, etc. Dense stuff. Do that and they will arrive with those delicate fins intact and no problems.

The case halves I zip-tie or lightly bolt together, with strips of cardboard in-between for padding and to facilitate disassembly. I wrap these in very heavyweight bubblewrap and then these get boxed. Lately I have been buying sheets of 1/2" rigid insulation and lining the boxes. That costs about $12 per box (Home Depot etc) takes some fussing-with, but that creates a super sturdy yet lightweight impenetrable box. The cases are much easier and cheaper to pack and ship if the studs are out, enough so to pay for this excellent stud removal and installation set:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063UMZ4

Highly recommended, that's a great tool. Use that with a little heat and penetrant and it will ease those studs right out.

The other parts are much easier to deal with, being much smaller and lighter, Wrap them in bubble wrap or in a few layers of stiff paper and pad between them. I really suggest that nothing be left directly against the walls of the box, as UPS has a propensity for piercing boxes at times =8^0. Shake the box - did you hear anything clink? If so you didn't pad well enough. Sorry! :-)

With regard to shippers, I am happy to send folks prepaid shipping labels that can save as much as 50% over the retail rates at a place like Pakmail or the UPS Store. Just pack and weigh your boxes and relay that to me, and I'll email back a PDF. Print, tape and drop at any UPS store for free, done. I'll bill you for everything when I ship and send tracking. I use UPS ground most frequently, but Greyhound is also a very cost-effective option for shipping freight, and that's not far out of my way to pickup, so that's an option too.

Best,

Nils

Nils Menten * RestoCycle LLC * Tucson, Arizona * USA

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

Vapor blasting with free shipping! www.restocycle.com
Discounted Ikon Shocks! www.ikonshocksusa.com
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 09:12 by Patton. Reason: delete solicitation

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
02 Sep 2016 08:42 - 02 Sep 2016 09:13 #740903 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc.

NobleHops wrote:

Yetanotherkzrider wrote: Has anyone here shipped their large engine parts before? I've decided that I'm going to have my cases, head, covers, and all that from my spare engine vapor blasted at some point. Any tips on packaging and shipping? And does anyone have any experience with this company? What I've seen on their site looks beautiful.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier!

Yes, that's my outfit (and thank you and Steve for the kind words!), and my Z1 build thread is here on this site too.

kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/600077-the...1975-z1?limitstart=0

Here's what my Z1 engine looked like after vapor blasting (and a wee bit o reassembly):

[img

The absolute best way to get stuff here safely is to double-box as was suggested. The two problem parts are the head and cylinders - they are so much heavier than everything else they are like wrecking balls in a box with other lighter parts. I wrap those two parts tightly in cardboard, then put them into a larger box surrounded by the heaviest dunnage I have, stiff crumpled paper, folded cardboard, etc. Dense stuff. Do that and they will arrive with those delicate fins intact and no problems.

The case halves I zip-tie or lightly bolt together, with strips of cardboard in-between for padding and to facilitate disassembly. I wrap these in very heavyweight bubblewrap and then these get boxed. Lately I have been buying sheets of 1/2" rigid insulation and lining the boxes. That costs about $12 per box (Home Depot etc) takes some fussing-with, but that creates a super sturdy yet lightweight impenetrable box. The cases are much easier and cheaper to pack and ship if the studs are out, enough so to pay for this excellent stud removal and installation set:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063UMZ4

Highly recommended, that's a great tool. Use that with a little heat and penetrant and it will ease those studs right out.

The other parts are much easier to deal with, being much smaller and lighter, Wrap them in bubble wrap or in a few layers of stiff paper and pad between them. I really suggest that nothing be left directly against the walls of the box, as UPS has a propensity for piercing boxes at times =8^0. Shake the box - did you hear anything clink? If so you didn't pad well enough. Sorry! :-)

With regard to shippers, I am happy to send folks prepaid shipping labels that can save as much as 50% over the retail rates at a place like Pakmail or the UPS Store. Just pack and weigh your boxes and relay that to me, and I'll email back a PDF. Print, tape and drop at any UPS store for free, done. I'll bill you for everything when I ship and send tracking. I use UPS ground most frequently, but Greyhound is also a very cost-effective option for shipping freight, and that's not far out of my way to pickup, so that's an option too.

Best,

Nils

Nice to see you on here Nils ;)

Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Last edit: 02 Sep 2016 09:13 by Patton. Reason: delete solicitation in quote
The following user(s) said Thank You: NobleHops

• NobleHops
  • Vendor
  • A happy present from the earth!
More
02 Sep 2016 08:45 #740904 by NobleHops
Replied by NobleHops on topic Best way to package/ship engine cases, etc.

Street Fighter LTD wrote:
Nice to see you on here Nils ;)

Dave B) B) B)

Dave, many thanks to you for making me feel welcome. Sincerely.

N.

Nils Menten * RestoCycle LLC * Tucson, Arizona * USA

Proud sponsor of KZRider: kzrider.com/forum/14-vendor-forum/604812...on-shocks-usa#751083

Vapor blasting with free shipping! www.restocycle.com
Discounted Ikon Shocks! www.ikonshocksusa.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD