How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000

More
28 Apr 2016 00:23 #723383 by davido
Genuine Kawasaki air in the tyres. Not the cheap stuff!

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2016 04:26 #723391 by reel
#1... What is your riding experience? Honestly I have rode a lot in the past 1.5 years , however before that it had been 30 years.
#2... If you don't have a lot of time in the saddle, you'll probably never be able to ride as fast as a stock bike will let you. I agree, and it isn't about the fast , it is more about being able to lean a little without having the backend come out from behind me.
#3.... That goes for cruiser tires too. Honestly, I was told by my mechanic that these tires were more aggressive then what I had on the bike originally. Also I looked for tires that would fit the stock rims there wasn't much I could find. I guess next time I will come here and see what others have gotten that will work.
#4... You say you purchased cruiser tires so see #1 before deciding you need to be a toe cutter on a vintage LTD motorcycle Again didn't know they were cruiser tires, anyway like I said not looking to fly around a track leaning halfway off the bike. I am too old for that,lol. Just want to be able to take a few twisties like Tail of the Dragon without eating it.

More
28 Apr 2016 05:13 #723395 by reel
History on me and ride. I am 46 years old, ride like three times a week usually 300 miles or so. I have owned this KZ1000 for a little over 2 years. First bike in 30 years, so went to school for my permit to drive it. Purchased from original owner for $750, since that time I have spent like $2,500 on it. I have changed the handlebars out to more of a dirt bike style which was easier for me to steer with then the cruiser style bars on it The top end of the engine has been redone, replaced chain, replaced the tach/speedometer with digital one, recoated inside of gas tank, cleaned carbs (it had K&N filters when I bought it), and now changing out tires. In the future I want to change out the shocks and maybe because of your suggestion replace or repair forks. I also would like to change out lights all the way around and go with more cafe racer inspired seat. I know I am spending too much money on this project but it is my first bike and I have the money to do it. Just taking it slow and easy adding as I see fit.

More
28 Apr 2016 05:35 - 28 Apr 2016 05:35 #723400 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000
Kidkawie mentioned emulators, so here's a topic from another forum. the op is a pretty strong advocate for going this route.

kawasakimotorcycle.org --- Installing cartridge emulators in forks (there's pics.). by Hoyt_Clagwell
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 05:35 by martin_csr.

More
28 Apr 2016 05:43 #723402 by TexasKZ
As suggested above, a good track school is not all about becoming a road racer, it is about becoming a better rider. It is about learning how a motorcycle corners, brakes, accelerates, and how these interact with each other. It is also about learning what the motorcycle is capable of and how to more accuratly contol it.
On most motorcycles, the weakest part is the nut on the seat.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: missionkz

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Apr 2016 06:55 #723415 by SWest
When I got my first REAL motorcycle at 18 I rode it every day to work and fun on the weekends. Before that I had a 10 speed bicycle and was dissed by drivers, in the rain they would speed up just to splash me in intersections, etc. Before that I had a 63 Dodge Dart. I was respectful of bikes powered or not. That's why I got a bike. I wanted to keep up in traffic even get away if need be. I can't tell you how many times I went down on that thing while having fun or just learning how to ride. I had to learn how to repair it too being just a "working stiff." It was 71 CL 350 Honda. In the three years I had it, it took many different forms. Tried the fairing and boxes but they slowed the bike down too much so I had a rack and a milk crate. Went with the Dunlop K 81 front tire (hot set up in 73) and a Chin Chin rear because I rode HWY most of the time and burned up tires. That little bike would out handle me. If I went down, it was my fault not the bike's. After three years I was ready for a bigger bike. I tried lots of other bikes at the time and the Z1 was the obvious choice. Got Bossie for $2300. It was a demo unit with 84 miles on it. :woohoo: That was in late 75. I didn't know the big K was about to make a change to the KZ series. I wasn't impressed with the KZ 900.
The first thing to go on my Z1 was the stock tires. I went with the same tires I had on the 350 only larger. I'd hit the long sweepers at 120 and drug my knee in the tight twisties. No helmet and I still wonder how I survived that in the decade I rode it. I went down one time two months after I bought it. A 'friend" crowded me off the road in a turn with his wife on the back. I mostly rode solo after that.
I moved out here from LA in 78 and never looked back. Being the only Z1 in 60 miles, Bossie was on top of the "food chain." Then the wreck in 86. 6/13/86 a Friday. No gear and I still have the scars from road rash and surgeries to show for it. :whistle:
After that everything changed. Yeah I still ride the piss out of the bike but I have my gear and I don't think I'm "Ricky Racer" in the turns anymore. :dry: The Shinko 230's will out perform me and the bike. I have good duel rate shocks and progressive springs in front. I keep up on my tire pressure and make sure everything is tight and adjusted. If I go down again it will be ether rider error or some cager doing something stupid like in the "close call" I had last year. :unsure:
I guess what I'm trying to say is, have good equipment, keep up on the maintenance and ride like they're out to get ya. They are. B)
Steve
Oh, get some case guards, you won't regret it. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: reel

More
28 Apr 2016 06:58 - 28 Apr 2016 09:17 #723417 by Coast Steve
Replied by Coast Steve on topic How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000
Also keep in mind, no matter what your riding style is,
fast or slow. Smooth or twitchy,
A good handling bike will be a big difference to one that is just set up ....OK.
Ride safe and never over your limit. If you are going to ride harder, be sure the area is safe to do so.
Better yet, take a performance riding class and get on the track.

You don't need to be a moto GP style rider to learn from a good teacher and some track time.
I had the book "The art and science or road racing motorcycles" by Keith Code.
It taught me alot and any rider would be better after reading it.

But this has nothing to do with your original question."How do I get my bike to corner better."
The very first step is to get that bike set up better.
I hope you try some of these simple bike set up tips. I bet you will be impressed.

Steve

1982 Kawasaki Eddie Lawson S1 (1136cc race replica clone.)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 09:17 by Coast Steve.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
28 Apr 2016 07:57 - 28 Apr 2016 07:59 #723428 by bluej58
COUNTER STEERING
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countersteering
www.ridinginthezone.com/countersteering-will-save-your-life/

Fresh/ matched tires, good suspension and counter steering will get you around the corners.

TN and NC have tons of great roads, the Dragon is just one of them.
www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=109
Try to go early in the season and during the weekdays between rush hours and you should have the roads to your self.
We had a blast B)

Do Deals Gap on the weekend and this is what you'll get :woohoo:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 07:59 by bluej58.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
28 Apr 2016 08:09 #723431 by SWest

More
28 Apr 2016 11:29 - 28 Apr 2016 11:30 #723477 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000

reel wrote: #1... What is your riding experience? Honestly I have rode a lot in the past 1.5 years , however before that it had been 30 years.
#2... If you don't have a lot of time in the saddle, you'll probably never be able to ride as fast as a stock bike will let you. I agree, and it isn't about the fast , it is more about being able to lean a little without having the backend come out from behind me.
#3.... That goes for cruiser tires too. Honestly, I was told by my mechanic that these tires were more aggressive then what I had on the bike originally. Also I looked for tires that would fit the stock rims there wasn't much I could find. I guess next time I will come here and see what others have gotten that will work.
#4... You say you purchased cruiser tires so see #1 before deciding you need to be a toe cutter on a vintage LTD motorcycle Again didn't know they were cruiser tires, anyway like I said not looking to fly around a track leaning halfway off the bike. I am too old for that,lol. Just want to be able to take a few twisties like Tail of the Dragon without eating it.

Very good... it sounds like you know your limits then.
Most riders can't really ride cruiser bikes with cruiser tires up to their real limit anyhow.....
Main thing is to not push or test your skill level on an 40 year old chassis design, in areas that guys riding modern and near race prepped bike, wipe out on!!

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 11:30 by missionkz.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Apr 2016 05:13 #723721 by bluej58
These old bikes will corner just fine ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shabba

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Apr 2016 05:13 #723722 by bluej58
These old bikes will corner just fine ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments: