How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000

More
27 Apr 2016 14:55 #723305 by reel
Looking for options on how to have my bike corner better. It is a 82' KZ1000 LTD, I am having new tires put on it right now actually. Just didn't know if there were any other mechanical things I could do to help it corner better. I bought Avon Cobra Front and rear tires. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Apr 2016 15:05 #723306 by Nessism
The Avon Cobra is a cruiser tire, not know for great handling. You need Avon Roadriders if you want to carve the twisties.

After tires the next thing to focus on is suspension. Progressive Suspension or Sonic fork springs and some good shocks. Progressive or Hagon shocks are decent for the money.

More
27 Apr 2016 15:26 - 27 Apr 2016 15:31 #723311 by 650ed
Along with sticky tires you should consider installing quality shocks. If your bike has the original shocks they undoubtedly are shot. The original KZ shocks were marginal when new and quickly wore out. I have Hagon shocks on my KZ650 and after 16,000 miles and 9 years they still work and look great (image below). Let us know if you want a link for Hagons; they make quite a few different styles. Ed

Attachment HagonShocks-2-3.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 15:31 by 650ed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: reel

More
27 Apr 2016 15:33 #723312 by 650ed
For tires I use Pirelli Sport Demons. They really work exceptionally well. Ed

Attachment PirelliSportDemon-2-3-4.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2016 15:37 #723313 by TexasKZ
One of the most cost efficient upgrades you ca make is to enroll in a track school.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
27 Apr 2016 15:43 #723315 by reel
Thanks all for the useful information

More
27 Apr 2016 16:36 #723321 by zed1015
Basics = Fit decent tyres . Make sure all your wheel, swing arm and steering bearings are in good shape. Up grade your shocks, service the forks ( fit stiffer/progressive springs ) and fit a fork brace.
After that the next stage is more intrusive with a braced or boxed swing arm and frame bracing etc.
All depends on how far you want to go.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
27 Apr 2016 18:33 - 27 Apr 2016 18:34 #723338 by Kidkawie
Look for some sort of adjustable shocks and rebuild your forks with proper springs and emulators. Play around with fork height and shock preload for sharper cornering. Basically, the loewr the front and higher the rear it will turn. Higher front and shorter rear it will be stable in a straight line. You need to find the sweet spot.

Steering damper too.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 27 Apr 2016 18:34 by Kidkawie.

More
27 Apr 2016 19:12 #723346 by Shabba
I'll echo all these sentiments and tell you that the first step needs to be knowing what is under you. Make sure that your components are not worn and/or shit. Get a good set of tires, sport tires, not cruisers. Finally, a good weekend of a riding/racing school. I got my race license in 2003 and raced a season in CCS. Know what made me faster than any equipment? Ed Bargy's race school a second time. The first time got me my license, the second time got me my balls. You can never learn too much.

-Colin

-82 GPZ750
-15 Yamaha FZ-09
-00 Suzuki TL1000S
-13 Nissan Nismo Juke

More
27 Apr 2016 19:23 #723349 by reel
Great information , for now since the tires are pretty much on the bike I will ride them for a while , but will definitely look into those shocks and having forks rebuilt. For the most part the engine has been rebuilt, she rides pretty nice actually except you can really lean much on it. However the tires were old and hard I imagine that was a lot of it. I really don't plan on leaning her over far enough to drag a knee, more like riding the Tail of The Dragon without having backend come out from under neath me.

More
27 Apr 2016 19:37 - 28 Apr 2016 06:38 #723353 by Coast Steve
Replied by Coast Steve on topic How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000
Hi Reel,

This is what has always worked for me and is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means.
I found the biggest thing is a solid bike. Not a spongy suspended one.
I always used 25-30 weight fork oil right off the bat. Never anything like 5, 7, 10 or even 15 weight
A racer told me that once and I always done it.
Then I slipped the forks a 1/2 inch or so into the camps lowering the front end.
Lifting the back also worked. so I usually had the rear spring tensioners on max or one less than max stiffness.
That would keep the back a little higher and keep things stable in the corners
Tires should be to a few lbs from the max that's written on the tire.

Be sure all the triple clamp bolts are up to spec and tight.
Same with the swingarm pivot bolt and front axle clamps.

Also check that there is no play in the steering itself. If there is tighten up the nut and locknut to take it all out and then back off the nuts just a tad.
Checking the steering lock to lock on the center stand, if you have one.
Remember your bicycle steering would loosen up when you were a kid after doing jumps?
Motorbikes do it too after years of riding.
With the bike on it's wheels put o the front brake hard and rock the bike back and forth. You might hear of feel a very small click or thud. That could be mean the steering nut can be snugged up. But always check lock to lock after up on the stand. No weight on the front.

These things always had me safe and pretty fast all round.

Getting into it deeper, I've repacked the front steering bearings with noticable differences.
Usually all these little things you do all add up to a much better handling bike.
This pic is proof. I'm on Michelin "Hi Sports: here but they needed warming up like slicks.

Good luck with it,

Steve

1982 Kawasaki Eddie Lawson S1 (1136cc race replica clone.)
Attachments:
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 06:38 by Coast Steve.

More
27 Apr 2016 22:46 #723377 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic How can I get my bike to corner better? 82' 1000
#1... What is your riding experience?
#2... If you don't have a lot of time in the saddle, you'll probably never be able to ride as fast as a stock bike will let you.
#3.... That goes for cruiser tires too.
#4... You say you purchased cruiser tires so see #1 before deciding you need to be a toe cutter on a vintage LTD motorcycle

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado