LED retrofitted stock tail light?

• StreetfighterKz
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Mar 2016 12:57 #716788 by StreetfighterKz
LED retrofitted stock tail light? was created by StreetfighterKz
Want to start off by saying I'm not trying to sell anything but...

Would there be an interest in any stock Kz taillights that have been retrofitted with a LED circuit board? I'm not referring to a LED replacement bulb but a custom circuit board with or without integrated turnsignals. Obviously these would be for show only and not DOT approved.

Or is there any other products that you guys/gals wish were made but aren't. (Doesn't necessarily have to be electrically related.)

Thanks.

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2016 17:41 #716830 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic LED retrofitted stock tail light?
Could you make a sponsor for my drag race program so I ain't gotta pay for it ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh and a boss that'll let me off work more to go race.

kidding aside the things I'd want would be drag related for my little bike and that isn't a huge market
very few folk's are racing the old 650/750 bike's though I've seen on some F/B page's guy's asking about
longer swing arm's and monoshock kit's.

I have been thinking about a new arm I want a cromo arm that would go from 8" to 12"
set up to hold air.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
22 Mar 2016 19:36 #716858 by wrenchmonkey
Replied by wrenchmonkey on topic LED retrofitted stock tail light?
Hey Doug,

I am a big fan of LED lighting retrofits if for nothing else because LEDs use about 3% of the energy of an incandescent equivalent. In my mind, anything that can be done to unload the electrical system is a good thing. Gotta be easier on original wiring & charging etc.

So I guess i'm saying i'd be up for an LED taillight if it became available B)

More
23 Mar 2016 18:57 - 23 Mar 2016 18:59 #717027 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic LED retrofitted stock tail light?
Since it is something I have been working on and researching lately it would be really nice to have a complete kit to convert from 630 chain to 530 chain. Understand that with so many different models and years that several different kits would have to be setup with different offset and tooth count C/S and rear sprocket, but would be really really nice to have a "one stop shop" for 630 to 530 chain conversions since they are so popular.

Secondarily, maybe it is just me but the other 3 things that are pretty tough to source and find are:

1) Rearsets for a lot of these bikes, my 85 GPz750 has only a single aftermarket option and it is for an 83, luckily the 83 is a direct swap
2) Fork Braces - Once again only a single option I have found for aftermarket
3. Fender Eliminator Kits, once again maybe it is just me but this is something I would really like since at least on mine I think the massive plastic mud guard it a terrible eye sore. Many others feel differently but I have no doubt there is a market for it. The only option for my bike is a $190 kit from Japan that you can find from ITO Speed Shop for the GPz750E Turbo that luckily fits. Will probably make my own, but having another option would be very nice.

Not sure if that helps but hope it gives a bit of direction, and love the idea of looking into this type of stuff Doug thank you!

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 18:59 by Irish-Kawi.

• StreetfighterKz
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Mar 2016 19:24 - 23 Mar 2016 19:25 #717040 by StreetfighterKz
Replied by StreetfighterKz on topic LED retrofitted stock tail light?
Zukdave, I'd love to get into arms and bolt on monoshock kits. I think my machining ability is up for it but I worry about my welding skills. I've wanted to do a bolt on monoshock kit for the Kz900/1000 (the frames I own) for years.

Wrenchmonkey, if my LED taillight work light works as good as my test circuit does I may buy a couple Kz900/1000 taillights and retrofit them. I also have my stock '83 Gpz750 taillight I could do the same to.

Irosh-Kawi, i could use my Gpz to pattern a fender eliminator. Do you think people would prefer the stock light and if so would a LED retrofitted one would be popular?

Keep the ideas coming!

Later, Doug

1978 z1000 Streetfighter
1976 z900 Stripfighter (work in progress)
1983 Gpz750 Resto-Mod
1989 Vmax
Last edit: 23 Mar 2016 19:25 by StreetfighterKz.

More
25 Mar 2016 09:56 #717298 by Irish-Kawi
Replied by Irish-Kawi on topic LED retrofitted stock tail light?

StreetfighterKz wrote: Zukdave, I'd love to get into arms and bolt on monoshock kits. I think my machining ability is up for it but I worry about my welding skills. I've wanted to do a bolt on monoshock kit for the Kz900/1000 (the frames I own) for years.

Wrenchmonkey, if my LED taillight work light works as good as my test circuit does I may buy a couple Kz900/1000 taillights and retrofit them. I also have my stock '83 Gpz750 taillight I could do the same to.

Irosh-Kawi, i could use my Gpz to pattern a fender eliminator. Do you think people would prefer the stock light and if so would a LED retrofitted one would be popular?

Keep the ideas coming!

Later, Doug

Hey Doug,

I think for most of the population that retaining the stock light would be preferred, but I also think that a LED retrofit would likely be even more popular. In my case I am planning on making my own using aluminum sheeting, though considering doing a fiberglass and aluminum hybrid depending on how easy or hard it will be to design it the way I am envisioning. I am going to use the tail light from a Yamaha YZF-R6 from 2003-2005 model as I think the shape and angles will match the straight angular back end on my 85 GPz. For most though I think a stock light or LED retrofit would be the most common. Many don't want to go to the lengths and frustrations I am with using other types of lights and I think you would have a pretty big winner on your hands with a design like that.

If you have access to a CNC machine it would be pretty simple and I imagine fairly profitable to pump out some fork braces which many people have voiced interest in over the years and is a niche market but one that has glaring holes that could be filled. Similar thing with rear sets. I wouldn't imagine trying to make your own rear sets, but I WOULD imagine making adapter plates that would allow the use of the stock mounting location(s) to a number of common and/or popular rear set conversions if that makes sense?

Hope that helps give some ideas brother ;)

Brett

All the gear all the time!

1985 Kawasaki GPz 750 (ZX750-A3) 15,000 original miles www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/601230...z750-refresh-project

Father - Husband - Bourbonr - Rider