Not so Motion Pro

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Feb 2016 05:14 - 29 Feb 2016 05:23 #713016 by GregZ
Not so Motion Pro was created by GregZ
Rant :angry:

I think if a company is going to have "pro" in the their title, then they should provide quality parts.
With the mild winter I had the 73 beater bike out a few times and noticed the clutch cable fraying at the perch. Instead of grabbing a good used one I ordered a new Motion Pro. At $12 I should have known it was going to be a piece of crap and i was right.
The adjuster is narrow and not enough threads to properly adjust the clutch. I Thought maybe I was doing it wrong and even got out the Z1 series manual and followed the proper procedure, like it's rocket science lol
I ended up grabbing a good used one and the new motion PRO will go in the junk bin. I would say it might be usable in an emergency situation( to get you home) but you would have the have the adjuster at the perch all the out and that wouldn't last long.

Here is the pro compared to oem

properly installed on Z1

I also compared it to my kz1000, same result, not enough thread. Thanks motion pro

Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 05:23 by GregZ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bluej58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Feb 2016 05:22 - 29 Feb 2016 05:23 #713019 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Not so Motion Pro
Yup mine too. I used a couple washers at the case to give me more adjustment room. I'm convinced it's another marketing ploy. Runs out of adjustment then John Q Public will buy another one. :angry:
Steve
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 05:23 by SWest.

More
29 Feb 2016 05:44 #713021 by NakedFun
Replied by NakedFun on topic Not so Motion Pro
Greg,

Did you contact MP with your findings? I have had good luck with their products, and anything can be mis-built. I would contact them as that appears to be a blatant incorrectly manufactured cable. Just a thought as only discussing it here will not get it resolved with MP.

Cory

2008 Kawasaki Concours 14
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
1976 Kawasaki KZ900

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Feb 2016 07:01 #713046 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Not so Motion Pro
Yes I sent an email to motion pro and to Jeff as well.. To further my argument, a photo in the manual shows the amount of threads that are needed to properly adjust the cable.
Other possibilities, I got the wrong cable

Attachments:

More
29 Feb 2016 07:25 - 29 Feb 2016 07:29 #713050 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Not so Motion Pro
Perhaps the MP has a longer unsheathed inner cable than does the OEM cable. Which would necessitate more sheath extension via mid-adjuster and/or perch adjustment. :unsure: This might be shown on the first image posted with the red background.

How does length of unsheathed inner cable compare between MP and OEM? (At shortest sheath length with both adjusters fully closed).

If length of MP unsheathed inner cable matches length of OEM unsheathed inner cable, the only difference would be amount of extension provided by the mid-sheath adjustment and perch adjustment, which if insufficient on the MP would be unacceptable.

A closer gap in the clutch pushrod adjustment might reduce the sheath extension needed at mid-cable and perch.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 07:29 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Feb 2016 07:39 #713052 by SWest
I bought a cable from Z1E in 13. Two years later I noticed it was starting to fray. I ordered this one and had it on the bike as a spare. The old one broke at the bottom of the hill going to my daughter's place. I changed cables and had barely enough adjustment to ride there and back home again. They are clearly different and I will buy a more expensive one soon. Not worth the aggravation.
Steve

• GregZ
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Feb 2016 08:11 #713061 by GregZ
Replied by GregZ on topic Not so Motion Pro

Patton wrote: Perhaps the MP has a longer unsheathed inner cable than does the OEM cable. Which would necessitate more sheath extension via mid-adjuster and/or perch adjustment. :unsure: This might be shown on the first image posted with the red background.

How does length of unsheathed inner cable compare between MP and OEM? (At shortest sheath length with both adjusters fully closed).

If length of MP unsheathed inner cable matches length of OEM unsheathed inner cable, the only difference would be amount of extension provided by the mid-sheath adjustment and perch adjustment, which if insufficient on the MP would be unacceptable.

A closer gap in the clutch pushrod adjustment might reduce the sheath extension needed at mid-cable and perch.

Not sure what you're trying to explain, you sound like a politician. In the real world it's a $12 clutch cable that non usable. Period

More
29 Feb 2016 09:17 - 29 Feb 2016 09:21 #713069 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Not so Motion Pro
While on a visit with Queen Elizabeth during his presidency, Ronald Reagan was with the Queen at Windsor Castle one morning, and since he and the Queen shared a love for horses, they decided to go horseback riding together. Some distance from the Castle, as Reagan was following the Queen up a small grade, the Queen's horse decided to loudly expel some gas in sync with each step.

Embarrassed, the Queen turned around and said. "Oh I am so sorry Mr. President."

"No problem your majesty", replied Reagan, "I thought it was the horse!"

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 09:21 by Patton.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Feb 2016 10:33 #713076 by SWest
:lol: Ron was always good for the one liners.
Steve

More
29 Feb 2016 13:44 #713100 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Not so Motion Pro
Had the same problem when i needed a cable for the wife's bike. Kept my Oe kaw cable for my bike and found a dirtbike cable that worked, unfortunately the package had no legible numbers on it.

The motion pro goldwing clutch cable was perfect though. Go figure

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
29 Feb 2016 14:04 #713104 by SWest
When I was in the "biz" I had a lot to chose from. I used a Gold Wing cable on my Z1. It lasted a good long time. I was able to compare then. :unsure:
Steve

More
29 Feb 2016 21:22 #713153 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Not so Motion Pro
Motion Pro is all Chinese junk. I'm still angry after wasting $100 on the carb sync garbage tool.Some of their stuff may be OK, but after trying the stuff I've done, no more of their crap will enter my life.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.