KZ650 engine block interchangeable btwn years?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
24 Nov 2015 18:57 #700408 by SWest
On the damaged screw I take the bit and use it to reform the slots. Sometimes the sharper one will get enough meat to bight. This is where patience comes in. B)
Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2015 23:01 #700418 by zed1015
Yep! just the sprocket cover and inner transmission cover damaged along with the pushrod.
It's only about an hours job to once you have all the parts.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
25 Nov 2015 04:11 #700439 by TexasKZ

aenikolopov wrote:

Nessism wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: Be sure the driver has a proper JIS bit, or a modified Phillips. Those are not Phillips head screw, despite how they look.

A #3 phillips bit works fine. Don't scare the man. :S

I've got a philllips impact driver which has on the one hand worked great for phillips screws, but on the other hand stripped out a JIS screw for me. I also have these impact-like screwdrivers.. see www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-Impacta-P...driver/dp/B003BGZ9CO . They idea is that they are solid screwdrivers, but have the impact driver mechanism built into the handle. Anyone tried one yet? They work great as screwdrivers, but that's all I've used them for.

I have not tried one of those, but any time I see a tool with such a long, overly impressive, made up name, I immediately suspect that there is more marketing than tool.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
25 Nov 2015 04:50 #700442 by SWest
Looks kinda flimsy to me. I've beat the hell out of the drivers and they still work. :whistle:
Steve

More
25 Nov 2015 20:55 - 25 Nov 2015 21:13 #700582 by aenikolopov
Replied by aenikolopov on topic KZ650 engine block interchangeable btwn years?

zed1015 wrote: Yep! just the sprocket cover and inner transmission cover damaged along with the pushrod.
It's only about an hours job to once you have all the parts.

I don't need to crack the case open to replace the pushrod? I had assumed I would for that, even the case wasn't cracked as I had originally suspected.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2015 21:13 by aenikolopov.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Nov 2015 03:28 #700596 by SWest
Nope, just pull it out. A few parts and you should be putting HD's to shame again in no time. :lol:
Steve

More
27 Nov 2015 09:29 - 27 Nov 2015 09:30 #700787 by Nessism
Let me know if you can use this seal kit. I stole the crank seals out of it but everything else is still there. You will need the large countershaft seal and several of the medium sized seals during replacement of the transmission cover and sprocket cover.

[IMG
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 09:30 by Nessism.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Nov 2015 10:55 #700800 by SWest
That's great. It has the three seals for the snifter and everything.
Steve

More
28 Nov 2015 11:21 - 28 Nov 2015 12:24 #700959 by aenikolopov
Thanks all for the help. I was able to get over to the bike and take a closer look at the damage. As several of you had predicted, it's really just the pushrod, chain guide, and gasket and transmission covers that were damaged, so I'm breathing a heavy sigh of relief. I've found all the parts on ebay, looks like it's going to cost me just about $80.
A somewhat gentle pull of the clutch pushrod didn't take it out, but it is bent and may need some more force behind it.

Nessism, thanks, I could very much use that oil seal kit. I'll PM you.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 12:24 by aenikolopov.

More
28 Nov 2015 11:53 - 28 Nov 2015 11:55 #700964 by zukdave
One thing the has not been said is when you pull the pushrod out theres a ball that will roll
out and hide REAL good while your backs turned and you'll be all pissed when you put it all back together
and the clutch don't work.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 11:55 by zukdave.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

More
28 Nov 2015 12:01 #700966 by aenikolopov

zukdave wrote: One thing the has not been said is when you pull the pushrod out theres a ball that will roll
out and hide REAL good while your backs turned and you'll be all pissed when you put it all back together
and the clutch don't work.

Hah! I'll make sure to be ready for it. Thanks.

More
30 Nov 2015 08:05 #701212 by aenikolopov

TexasKZ wrote:

aenikolopov wrote:

Nessism wrote:

TexasKZ wrote: Be sure the driver has a proper JIS bit, or a modified Phillips. Those are not Phillips head screw, despite how they look.

A #3 phillips bit works fine. Don't scare the man. :S

I've got a philllips impact driver which has on the one hand worked great for phillips screws, but on the other hand stripped out a JIS screw for me. I also have these impact-like screwdrivers.. see www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megadora-Impacta-P...driver/dp/B003BGZ9CO . They idea is that they are solid screwdrivers, but have the impact driver mechanism built into the handle. Anyone tried one yet? They work great as screwdrivers, but that's all I've used them for.

I have not tried one of those, but any time I see a tool with such a long, overly impressive, made up name, I immediately suspect that there is more marketing than tool.

Just leaving this here for others' reference in the future. They have made good screwdrivers, like I said, but I just dealt with 3 stuck screws, and this Megadora driver's 'impact feature' didn't do anything for them. A standard heavy handheld impact driver loosened each screw up easily.