What Tires do you Run

More
07 Sep 2015 16:28 #689058 by rhityx02
Replied by rhityx02 on topic What Tires do you Run
Not to offend anybody who are the Metzeler likers but...it would seem that a company that does nothing but motorcycle tires would have a better quality control system in place no matter where they are manufactured. Cracks small or big in the side of a motorcycle tire is enough to make me second guess buying the Metzeler brand. But that's just my 2 cents.
Ty

1977 KZ650 B1
Ty

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2015 16:46 #689065 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic What Tires do you Run
The Shinko 230 is V-rated and only a few bucks more than the 712. Decent tires but tread life is only average.

More
08 Sep 2015 06:02 - 08 Sep 2015 06:12 #689134 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic What Tires do you Run

rhityx02 wrote: Not to offend anybody who are the Metzeler likers but...it would seem that a company that does nothing but motorcycle tires would have a better quality control system in place no matter where they are manufactured. Cracks small or big in the side of a motorcycle tire is enough to make me second guess buying the Metzeler brand. But that's just my 2 cents.
Ty

I completely agree, no matter where a tire is made it shouldn't start to crack - however, moving production abroad is most often done to cut costs which often leads to loss of quality,some times due to lack of qualified employees or a difference in work ethics. The company I work for has some goods manufactured/assembled in China and I have seen some stuff slip through their quality control that I wouldn't have approved.

My RoadTecs are Made in Germany as I said, but it turns out that one 650 set (ME33 + ME77) is Made in Germany, while the other set (ME33 + ME99) is Made in Brazil, these are the ones currently on the bike.

I just inspected all 6 tires thoroughly with a flashlight - the ME33/ME77 set is worn out and was removed from the bike 10 years ago when I swapped to cast wheels, just never bothered to remove them from the rims. The ME33/ME99 are currently on the bike though they are getting a bit ripe. Even though both sets are well past their prime there are no cracks or dry rot whatsoever and apart from one set being dead from age and use I can tell no difference between Made in Germany and Made in Brazil.
Btw, both sets are Lazers, not LazerTec.

Likewise the RoadTecs came out spotless, which they should being only a couple of years old.

Pete, you're right, sclauchlos is German for tubeless - my Made in Brazil tires say that too.

Might add that I'm not on a mission to defend Metzeler, I have no reason to, but this is the first time I have ever heard about these problems after happily using Metzelers for many years. I paid good money for my tires, the set of RoadTecs cost me $450, so if there really is an issue with new Metzeler tires cracking I definitely want to know about it before buying them again.

Btw, I heard about Pirelli moving some of their production to China as well, anyone know if that's true?

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 06:12 by OnkelB.

More
08 Sep 2015 08:11 #689154 by scubaanders
Replied by scubaanders on topic What Tires do you Run
Don’t take me wrong, I am don’t worship Metzler in any way, but if your tires crack up you must have been cheated.
Have you checked the mfg dates on your tyres?

What I know the ME33 and 99 haven’t been in production for quite some years by now so they might be really old by now. Lots of rubber dealers don’t care much as long as they can clear their stock. I always check mfg dates before a buy.

And speed ratings, most tyres come in varieties of speed ratings, mine Lasertec are V rated and I doubt I will need it.

Gpz750R1 1982
Gpz750A1 1983
Gpz1100A2 1984
FZ750 1985
Gpz900R -91
Attachments:

More
08 Sep 2015 08:29 #689158 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic What Tires do you Run

pete greek1 wrote: I checked both sides of the tire, & It doesn't say where It's made
but there is a foreign word that sounds German, above tubeless

Pete

That "is" German for tubeless.....

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
08 Sep 2015 08:41 #689160 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic What Tires do you Run

missionkz wrote:

pete greek1 wrote: I checked both sides of the tire, & It doesn't say where It's made
but there is a foreign word that sounds German, above tubeless

Pete

That "is" German for tubeless.....

Danke, mission,... that's Thank You in German, B)

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
08 Sep 2015 09:02 #689168 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic What Tires do you Run
Here is a question for us to ponder.
When checking on speed ratings, I am of the understanding that the speed ratings are for sustained speeds, NOT for just a blast up to or over what the tire is rated for. As in drag racing a tire is only subjected to high speeds for a very short time and doesn't have a chance to build up heat .
Versus a high speed blast of over 160 MPH for 5 miles or more would allow the tire to get hot and the V rating would then have real meaning.
Just fuel for discussion as to how important is speed rating to most riders. ( Mine are V rated )
I have had good luck buying fresh tires from J and P Cycle as they have good pricing and a rapid turn over of stocks so new tires are always coming to them for distribution.
Currently ready to install a set of Avon Road Riders on my bike

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
08 Sep 2015 09:21 #689173 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic What Tires do you Run
I doubt the front tire on a drag bike gets very hot, but wouldn't the rear tire heat up from doing a burnout just prior to racing? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
08 Sep 2015 12:16 - 08 Sep 2015 12:23 #689192 by OnkelB
Replied by OnkelB on topic What Tires do you Run

Street Fighter LTD wrote: Here is a question for us to ponder.
When checking on speed ratings, I am of the understanding that the speed ratings are for sustained speeds, NOT for just a blast up to or over what the tire is rated for. As in drag racing a tire is only subjected to high speeds for a very short time and doesn't have a chance to build up heat .
Versus a high speed blast of over 160 MPH for 5 miles or more would allow the tire to get hot and the V rating would then have real meaning.
Just fuel for discussion as to how important is speed rating to most riders.... ( Mine are V rated )

I don't know about the US, but over here in Denmark (or most of Europe really) there are also legal matters to consider.
Here a tire's speed rating must match or exceed the vehicles top speed as listed by the manufacturer in the vehicle's type approval. For example, since my GPz has a type approval top speed of 225 kph/140 mph it is illegal for me to run anything less than a V-rated tire.

If caught on misrated tires you will get a ticket ($ 150 minimum in Denmark) and not be allowed to drive on, the vehicle has to be towed at your expense and you are prohibited from using the vehicle until tires of the correct rating are installed. What's a lot worse is that if you're involved in an accident/hurt someone running misrated tires and your insurance company finds out, you're in all kinds of trouble.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2015 12:23 by OnkelB.

More
08 Sep 2015 13:30 #689201 by Zephyrrider
Replied by Zephyrrider on topic What Tires do you Run
Bridgestone Battalax BT 45/ H rated for as long as they have made them which is at least 20 years - Zephyr wont do 130 mph anyway Front $160 @10,000 km - Rear $200@8,000 Damn good tyres.

Mick
1994 ZR750 Zephyr C4.

More
10 Sep 2015 13:25 #689510 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic What Tires do you Run

650ed wrote: Another thing that some folks aren't aware of is that running tubeless tire with tubes, while perfectly ok to do, reduces the speed rating by one level. As an example, a V rated (149 mph) tubeless tire with a tube in it should not be run faster than the next lower speed rating. So a V rated tubeless tire with a tube should not exceed the H rated speed of 130 mph. Ed

is there some paper, documentation or company statements regarding this? I'd like to read up on it.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

More
10 Sep 2015 14:07 #689521 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic What Tires do you Run
I cannot quickly find the info from a tire maker, but here's a couple links that mention it. I believe the reason for the speed reduction is increased retained heat associated with the tube inside the tire. I'll see if I can find a better reference. Ed

www.motorcyclenews.com/new-rider/choosin...ith-tubeless-tyres-/
forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=112493.0
answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100414144412AAo9Rzj
www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/203wbn/tire_question/

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)