Curious about what it's worth

• InfernalPlacebo
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Jul 2015 15:20 #680853 by InfernalPlacebo
Curious about what it's worth was created by InfernalPlacebo
So I have two KZ1000J's in my possession both with all their parts. I had planned on rebuilding one of them with parts from both, one frame and swing arm is fresh powder coated. Due to work I have been unable to finish my project. I am now working away during the week (work puts me in a hotel, I'm typically 5+ hours from home) and only make it back every other weekend or so. I was considering just selling them as is (both completely disassembled, one engine runs the other has a bent rod) and buying a cheap bike used off ebay or Craigslist that I don't have to attempt to rebuild. I don't have any idea the value of these bikes so I don't know what to begin testing the waters with price-wise. Any help you guys can offer is appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jul 2015 16:56 #680866 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Curious about what it's worth
You need to put one together or all you have is parts. Sounds like you don't have the time to part it out.
Steve

More
14 Jul 2015 17:14 - 14 Jul 2015 17:16 #680871 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Curious about what it's worth
It is rough to sell bikes in that condition.
Buying those kludged bike projects for next to nothing, getting them running and selling them off after getting them road worthy... is how I funded three brand new zero time bikes from dealerships over a 8 year span.
Unfortunately, what you have now is only worth what someone will pay and as a seller, it is up to you to find a buyer.
Because everything is an unknown, and unless you find that special person, basket case sales, regardless of what you think you have, are hard to break even with... they are hard to move, except at a loss. Just not enough homebrew vintage bike mechanics with the where-for-all to pull it together... sorry to say.
I've been there.
Fresh frame and one unrepairable engine... you have one possible bike and a rolling chassis parts bike.
I'd be looking for a hobbyist with around $1000-$1300 for both if you have titles for the bikes.

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 17:16 by missionkz.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
14 Jul 2015 19:13 #680891 by SWest
That would be doing good. Selling on eBay can net you much more but it will take time and sometimes you'll get a bad buyer. Also if you are a new seller with less than 10 sales, they will keep your money until the buyer signs off on the sale.
Steve

More
14 Jul 2015 22:23 #680926 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic Curious about what it's worth
Right... but what I said was "look for a hobbyist" buyer in the $1000-$1300" range and sell it as a lot.
On the other hand, I have been stunned at what some guys restoring bikes are willing to pay for excellent-good condition used original parts... so parting it out is the best way to recover the investment... but only if time and labor is not and issue, you are not paying anyone (yourself) for taking things apart, or paying someone for writing up descriptions for eBay, or paying someone for handling all the BS associated with seller questions and then arguing with the actual buyer because the shipping/insurance really does costs so much.... and you still get to pack it all up, take it to a shipper and then when the buyer gets it,....you get to listen to their bitchin' if it isn't new.... when you clearly said it was used and in good condition... etc etc etc etc.
I run a mail order business and deal with knuckleheads weekly, and I don't mean the internal combustion kind... LOL

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jul 2015 07:46 #680967 by SWest
I was buying parts for my bike and got offers from some of the sellers asking me to call them first before selling the bike. You might get quotes from them and see what they would pay. Don't give it away. Just see.
Steve

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
15 Jul 2015 07:53 #680972 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Curious about what it's worth
So, where are you located? This is also a huge factor if you are looking to move these bikes along.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
15 Jul 2015 08:33 #680984 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Curious about what it's worth
Seems like you don't have the resources to finish this, better be decisive now then let themn rust out for the next decade. Quite often it is cheaper to buy a complete and 'finished' bike then it is to restore, likewise, often these bikes are often worth more in bits then complete.

The 1000J are quite sought after, also there are quite a few parts that fit on all the other big zeds. It is how complete and what condition the bikes are in. Here in Uk a complete and restorable 1000J would be worth around £1000 plus, nicely restored about three times that.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
15 Jul 2015 08:38 #680989 by SWest
If I lived close by and had the money, I make a offer and put one together and sell the rest in parts. I'm semi retired now but don't have the resources to do it. Maybe some day. :whistle:
Steve

More
16 Jul 2015 18:21 #681176 by JDRAKE4200
Replied by JDRAKE4200 on topic Curious about what it's worth
I may be interested..... What year are they and where are you located?

Keep the shiny side up!!!!

1976 KZ900 LTD
2004 Sportster 1200 Custom
1981 KZ550 LTD
1994 GSXR 750