KZ1000 Police Bike

More
27 Jun 2015 11:02 #678473 by Ducatisam1
KZ1000 Police Bike was created by Ducatisam1
I have recently come across a garage find. A 1978 KZ1000 police spec bike . The bike was purchased by a city police department and they lost track of it shortly after delivery. after 10 years in a city warehouse it was found and auctioned off with zero miles on it.a retired police officer owned it for another 10 years and sold it . 8900 miles on it . runs and rides perfect. have no idea what this bike is worth. Or if there is a market for this motorcycle. i have all the original documentation and manuals.
Could really use some input from you guys since you are the KZ Experts......My last Kawasaki was a KZ650 Custom....and I dont know if at 3000.00 dollars if this is a good investment for resale.
Thanks Guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2015 11:35 #678480 by missionkz
Replied by missionkz on topic KZ1000 Police Bike
:woohoo: WTF!? Are you frickin' kidding us!!??

Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
27 Jun 2015 11:50 #678482 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic KZ1000 Police Bike
$3,000 asking price? Try $2,500 :evil: Don't hesitate!

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2015 11:53 #678483 by SmokyOwl
Replied by SmokyOwl on topic KZ1000 Police Bike
That's one incredible find!! I'm no expert on these, but my gut tells me it's a fair price, I wouldn't expect too much on a resale value on it. The one thing that bothers me is that from what you said that once upon a time the bike could've been stolen, aka "went missing". That's a bit of a red flag that should be checked out.

1982 Kawasaki KZ1100 A2, Shaft

Never trade the thrill of living for the safety of existance.

More
27 Jun 2015 15:49 #678524 by Chefzilla
Replied by Chefzilla on topic KZ1000 Police Bike
I think it's a great find. However, no matter what it's actually worth, you need to get the cash in your hand or it ain't worth $#@*^.I recently purchased a 77 A1, low miles. I now have 5K in it coming back from paint, ahh make that 6K.

If you can buy it and sit on it, at some point in time, ie- when you get the cash in hand it will be worth some jingle. If it runs and is in pristine condition, then I understand the other post.

Big q's need answered #1 do you have the cash? #2 what kind of condition is it really in? #3 is it hot? wheres the title? If something seems really good, look for the flares.

CZ

More
27 Jun 2015 17:58 #678536 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic KZ1000 Police Bike

Ducatisam1 wrote: The bike was purchased by a city police department and they lost track of it shortly after delivery. after 10 years in a city warehouse it was found and auctioned off with zero miles on it.a retired police officer owned it for another 10 years and sold it . 8900 miles on it .

I don't think the bike was stolen.
$3K is it a good investment? That depends on actual condition how much you may have to put into it. How much profit are you looking to make? If the bike is in really good shape and you wanted to keep it I would say its a good deal. To do a quick flip it could be a risky price. To make maximum profit you would have to sell it to a specific group collecting police bikes. I'm no expert, just my .02

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jun 2015 18:11 #678541 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic KZ1000 Police Bike
There's something being overlooked here. It's close to 40 years old. Unless it has been redone in the last 3-5 years, the valve guide seals are hard and will leak or they already do. The cam chain rollers are rubber dampened. They come apart when they get hard and brittle with age. It may look great but it will need some money to make it road worthy.
JMO
Steve

More
29 Jun 2015 04:42 #678678 by Ducatisam1
Replied by Ducatisam1 on topic KZ1000 Police Bike
Wow.....Thank you all so much for the fantastic insight on this......I did not expect so much help so fast. ...I told the present owner that it is a shame , that most people would want this bike just for the engine.....I want to buy it mainly because I could not bear to see someone snatch the motor out and stick it in a bobber.....It is just too clean, and it also has such a neat story behind it too....I simply want someone to have it that will keep it like it is....I even want to go as far as finding out which city purchased the bike (s) (there were 2).....and have the original police decals and shield placed on the bike, as they were never commissioned for service.
I think from the paperwork it was either Minniapolis or St. Paul not sure yet....It stands to reason that it had to be a large city, with a large enough fleet to completly loose track of 2 motorcycles for ten years....I will keep you posted...
Sam