General info on Suzuki Intruder 800's

More
26 Jun 2015 19:24 - 26 Jun 2015 19:37 #678380 by RFE81LTD1K
General info on Suzuki Intruder 800's was created by RFE81LTD1K
Looking to buy a second bike. Something more in line with the cruiser style. Been looking at several 800 Intruders. I like their style and lighter weight compared to other and or bigger cruisers out there. Don't want anything smaller ... or much bigger. Seems like making the jump to a 1200-1400 also makes a big jump in overall size and weight. Don't want a bulky over weight beast with bags hanging all over it or a windshield bigger than the one on my truck. Lol. Just something worthy of short road trips (+/- 250mi) that will be more comfortable than my LTD. And no, I can't make my LTD more comfortable simply because nobody makes any accessories for it. For example a passenger backrest or rack to carry gear on. No mounts or guards for small bags either. Etc, etc. The Intruders on the other hand has had a long run and there's still accessories to be had for them.
I'd like to hear from anybody who has or has had a 800 Intruder. Mostly like to know how they ride, do they have good power, are they too small or under powered for 2 people? (400lbs) You get the idea. Any experiences that come to mind that may help me include them in my search or rule them out.
One thing I've heard is that the small front tire takes some getting used to. Another was also about the front tire not being very good for highway riding or hard cornering. Don't know if I buy the one about highway riding. Way too many Harleys with skinny front tires going down the highways out there for them to be that bad. As for cornering ... I guess it depends on what you consider hard cornering. I don't consider my riding style as hard ... anymore. Sure, I might go into a corner a little aggressively sometimes but its not like I'm about to drag my knee around it.
Any experience on skinny front tires would be a great help. In particular ... do they wash out easily?

Thanks guys.
Robert

Here's a pic of one of the ones I'm considering. It's a 99 model with 5000 original miles on it.

Attachment 1999SuzukiIntruder800.jpg not found

As you can see it already has a several accessories on it. Small windshield, backrest and a case guard w/highway pegs. Also comes with leather bags, 2 helmets and a cover.
And I can have it all for the low price of ... $2000 bucks. :woohoo: Lol. But I think I can wear him down a little. B)

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 19:37 by RFE81LTD1K.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2015 19:34 #678382 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic General info on Suzuki Intruder 800's
I can say this, I bought a smaller tire at first because I got a good deal on it. I couldn't wait until it wore out. It was squirrely on the FWY with the rain groves, scary in the turns and washed out easily on dirt roads.
Steve

More
26 Jun 2015 19:56 - 26 Jun 2015 21:23 #678385 by RFE81LTD1K
Replied by RFE81LTD1K on topic General info on Suzuki Intruder 800's

swest wrote: I can say this, I bought a smaller tire at first because I got a good deal on it. I couldn't wait until it wore out. It was squirrely on the FWY with the rain groves, scary in the turns and washed out easily on dirt roads.
Steve

Thanks Steve, that's exactly what I needed to know. Some of the Intruders have a fatter front tire. I'm not sure but I think the taller wheel with the skinny tire might have been an option. But just because they look cool doesn't mean they're a good choice for highway riding. As for dirt roads, I don't do dirt unless its on my dirt bike or atv.
Well damn, that is what I needed to know but not what I wanted to hear. :( You said yours was scary in turns. How so? Did it give the bikes a different feel? Or did it feel like it wouldn't track right around turns? I hear that's a big problem with all these new bike with super wide rear tires.

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 21:23 by RFE81LTD1K.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
26 Jun 2015 21:13 #678392 by SWest
Going into a turn you instinctively know when the tire is about to loose traction. You feel it. I've hit patches of sand or water, straighten up for a second, then finish the turn. Sometimes you just don't have time. I'm running a 110/90-19 on the front and a 130/90-18 on the back. Some say 120 is a better match. They should be closely matched. I'm running fatter on the rear for mileage. How much more? I don't know.
Steve

More
26 Jun 2015 21:46 - 26 Jun 2015 22:30 #678396 by RFE81LTD1K
Oh yeah, I've been there when the front tried to wash out on me. Scary stuff. Stock for my bike is 100/90/19 and 130/90/16 and seem to do fine for my riding style.
I understand what your saying about matching front/rear. Logic says they'll track better. Hence the reason why all the road racers have matched or closely matched tires.
OK, so no skinny front tires unless your just putting around town taking slow turns. What fun is that? Lol.

The Intruder with the 21" front wheel runs a 80/90/21 front and a 140/90/15 rear. 60mm = 2.36 inches. Quite a big difference.
So throw a 110 or 120/90/19's on the front and ride the p out of it. Lol.

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 22:30 by RFE81LTD1K.

More
27 Jun 2015 04:59 #678419 by Xl ED
Replied by Xl ED on topic General info on Suzuki Intruder 800's
My wife has one that I have ridden a bit so I can give you first hand information on. Bike has lots of power. As with any 800cc bike long distance two up touring will be a stretch but certainly weekend trips are doable. As for the handling hers is just fine. But a good tire and you will have decent handling. If you want sportbike handling, buy a sportbike. I think her front tire is a 100 with room for a 120 easy should you choose. My only caution would be if you are very tall. Over 6'ers might feel a bit cramped. You can buy these for very little $$$ anymore so if you buy it and don't like it you can always move it on.

If you are in ontario the wife is contemplating selling hers.

I don't live to ride, I ride to live.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
27 Jun 2015 05:28 #678424 by SWest

RFE81LTD1K wrote: Oh yeah, I've been there when the front tried to wash out on me. Scary stuff. Stock for my bike is 100/90/19 and 130/90/16 and seem to do fine for my riding style.
I understand what your saying about matching front/rear. Logic says they'll track better. Hence the reason why all the road racers have matched or closely matched tires.
OK, so no skinny front tires unless your just putting around town taking slow turns. What fun is that? Lol.

The Intruder with the 21" front wheel runs a 80/90/21 front and a 140/90/15 rear. 60mm = 2.36 inches. Quite a big difference.

Stylish. :sick:
Steve

More
02 Jul 2015 01:36 #679073 by RFE81LTD1K

swest wrote:

RFE81LTD1K wrote: Oh yeah, I've been there when the front tried to wash out on me. Scary stuff. Stock for my bike is 100/90/19 and 130/90/16 and seem to do fine for my riding style.

Stylish. :sick:
Steve

Yeah, even I'm starting to not trust my judgment on that one. Lol

81 KZ1000 LTD
All original.
15k miles.