Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 05:03 #772080

• mopguy
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 168
Nice!, yours is one of my favourite bikes.
I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 05:31 #772081

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
Well deserved win and looking forward to some of the build history...... love fast but thinking this is above my skill level ... must be a beast.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 05:56 #772084

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Street Fighter LTD's Avatar Topic Author
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1972
A before Turbo look

Yoshi pipe
29 smoothbores, welded crank , and sissy bar
Dave B) B) B)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 06:38 #772088

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
Right on! it's about time Dave.
I'm looking forward to more pics and the history too,
hopefully I will be able to meet Suzie and you in person some day.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Last edit: by bluej58.

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 13:18 #772111

• Street Fighter LTD
Thanks Guys for the kind words and for letting me know you all are OK
with Suzie being our October Bike of the Month.
Les Holt has been after me since we started BOTM to run Suzie as a BOTM Cover Bike
Well here She is !!!! As I said , First true love.
Never talks back, Always wants to go the same places I want to visit.
Likes to run hard and fast. Always looks great when I take Her out.
All the other guys check Her out but She always goes home with me ..
What else could a guy ask for ????????????
My Mom even let Suzie move in with me while I lived at home ;)
LMAO Yeah, I got it bad...
Glad my wife Debbie isnt the jealous type.

First trip down the Drag Strip. Milan Dragway about 1979

My Bud Ron Finch the custom bike building legend posing with Suzie

Suzie with the families 38 Buick Special and a off road wheelchair the DAV is lending me for hunting this year.
I help raise money and do special events for our veterans and first responders in need
And another shot just because I can LOL
I Hope you all enjoy my Baby
Dave B) B) B)

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: les holt

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 15:30 #772125

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632
Wow, them's some spectacular pipes! Looks like she loves heat'n em up too...:woohoo:
Suzie is neat, clean, and primped to the max!

Beautiful

:)
1982 KZ1100-A2

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 16:03 #772134

• Street Fighter LTD

daveo wrote: Wow, them's some spectacular pipes! Looks like she loves heat'n em up too...:woohoo:
Suzie is neat, clean, and primped to the max!

Beautiful

Thanks Dave
I had to up my game after you raised the bar on posing your 2016 BOTM honoree
Im going to take some more pics to use with the night setting similar to what you did
I really liked those shots of your bike
Dave B) B) B)

Bike of the Month. 01 Oct 2017 16:38 #772138

• daveo
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 632
Thanks Dave,
Dave

:lol:

Not sure how to up my game from there...but I ain't gonna fold just yet.

These beautiful Michigan Fall evenings really make colors pop, especially when that beautiful pink aura surrounds everything.
Can't wait to see the pics of that gorgeous piece of machinery!!!
1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: mopguy, Street Fighter LTD

Last edit: by daveo.

Bike of the Month. 02 Oct 2017 08:23 #772178

• Street Fighter LTD
I have been getting pm requests eager for history so I will start now.
Suzie was brought home from Intercontinental Kawasaki in the early Spring of 1978
Paid about $3,500.00 Dollars Cash.
I knew I was going to buy this model as soon as I sat on the seat and grabbed the handlebars as I felt She was a perfect fit.
With in 2 months I bought a set of 29 mm smoothbore carbs and pod filters. Jetting was done by my bud Ted and I with little difficulty.
Ted had purchased a new 78 Z1R a month before I bought my LTD. We were constant riding/ wrenching buds and fast friends.
So at first the Z1R could edge me out once we hit about 60 mph , but the 26 mm stock carbs worked better up until that point.
The 29 smoothies were my answer to being beat and they made us dead even and we verified that fact at about every stoplite.
Ted and I went on to help and crew for our friend Kevin Tooma who became our team owner with his dads help in funnybike and topfuel racing for the next 10 years.
So Ted put a Winning brand 4into 1 headr on his bike ( NAMED STANLEY ) and the battle was on again . He started beating me again so back to the bank and I put what I felt was a better pipe on Suzie. This was the Yoshimura Road racing pipe and
I now held the advantage again :P
Ted and I continued to up the ante every few months for the next year or so. Changes in gearing , 1075cc , 1200cc,
welding cranks, backcut transmissions , head work , dragslicks , struts and wheelie bars
BOY oh Boy did we have fun . We got good deals and free run of a number of machine shops, and discounts on parts
as we were a force to be reckoned with and we would put shop stickers on our swingarms and promote our sponsors.
Skipping ahead for a moment Ted and I went to a new bike dealer unveiling once at Andersons cycle in Bloomfield on Telegraph road to see the new bikes at Michigans largest dealer. Of course we rode our bikes. We were inside checking out the new bikes when the dealers general manager came up to us and asked us to leave the premises as the biggest crowd was outside checking out our two bikes instead of looking at the bikes he had for sale...LOL Proud moment LOL
Those were good times and great memories of times gone by..
Next chapter is real racing . I promise to scan some old photos and share them soon.
So Kevin , Ted and I became traveling team members running alot of sanctioned events east of the Mississippi in funny bike.
Our home track for testing and fun was Milan Dragway. Cliff the owner loved when we came out as he knew we were a draw for the local bike scene. Our first real race bike was a Kosman built frame , laydown chassis with a 8 inch slick. We called it the little digger. Another member here Ralph Pitlock from Paintworkz did Kevins paint on all his bikes including our honda pitbike.
Nice work Ralph. Best painter I know...
So anyway we had lots of fun and won a lot of races . WE were blessed with Kevins dad Doc Tooma who had deep pockets and spent a lot of money on making our team competitive.
We would show up to a race with our bike and spare motors and parts to build a couple more motors if needed. .

MORE LATER

Dave B) B) B)

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: mopguy

Bike of the Month. 02 Oct 2017 10:17 #772181

• Dr. Gamma
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 664
Nice bike.!!! Well done!!!! All your modifications well thought out, and professionally done!!!!

No half-ass mickey mouse stuff on your bike.

Its nice to have full confidence in your build when you are pulling redline in 4th on full boost, and going for 5th!!!!

I remember the first time I rode a ATP turbo KZ back in the 70's. I remember the headlight shinning in the trees above me in 2nd or 3rd gear. That thing pulled as hard in 4th and 5th as it did in 2nd!!!!
1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

Bike of the Month. 02 Oct 2017 13:11 #772188

• Street Fighter LTD
Thanks Dr G
Suzie has truly been my Blue collar Ferrari .
Funny you talk about 4th and 5th gear pulling hard as lower gears
All True, But the reality has been most races at least on the street are over as I shifted
into 3rd gear . As my shift out of 2nd was at 110 MPH and climbing faster than warp drive.
Only serious races from serious racers needed to go above that point.
Standard rule when racing is to make sure the other driver knew not to cross into my lane as
no way could I stop from hitting them if they did. .
Usually made my passes of other racers who could out holeshot me down low by passing them hard on the brakes as I went by.
My only serious competition was my friend Ted who turned his Z1R into the ultimate drag bike .
To do that he stretched his bike way out with a 6 to 8 over arm and gave up all around street drivability as far as corner carving which has always been a goal to maintain on Suzie
Thanks for the comments
Dave B) B) B)

Attachments:

Bike of the Month. 05 Oct 2017 20:09 #772409

• Street Fighter LTD
A few more facts
Motor is bored to 1075cc with MTC blower / turbo pistons . Purchased , honed and rings fitted by Joe Hooper at Pitstop. Grreat prices and service . Crankshaft is reworked by Falicon to Ultralite Supercrank status. APE studs on head and crank with crank plate on mains with camchain anti skip insert inside cap. Blue printed oil pump with deep pickup in 5 quart deep sump oil
pan with oil swing gate.
Transmission is back cut in both directions with APE shift bushing and flat pusher bearing at clutch.
Clutch is Action 4 ( A Bill Hahn Company ) with extra plates and heavy springs. Clutch also has Karata glide centrifugal lock up with double nuts for weights.
APE manual cam chain adjuster holds the HD camchain in position . Currently running stock cams which is all it needs since motor is boosted, Cylinder head is ported and valves done by Tim Connely from Chrysler air flow research and development . Along with being a KZ master Timmy is the hands on guy who made the Viper motors flow and run right are among his accomplishments .
Valves are over size Stainless steel ( Manleys ) with APE springs and APE titanium retainers, viton seals.
Motor has Cometic and OEM gaskets and I am running a one piece copper head gasket with wire o rings around each cylinder.
Crankcase venting is out the top of the cam cover and the original vent is blocked off. I run a one inch vent hose from the
cam cover to the drive chain inside the chain guard so any oil mist safely lubes the chain .
The heart of the beast is the MR TURBO Race Kit installed in the early 80s. I switched to the Mikuni 42 flat slide carb some time ago and it is very easy to tune . Turbo is a Rajay 40 unit with single stage waste gate.
Boost is where its at if you want to fly. I have the rare straight back exhaust pipe which was marketed for bikes meant to carry a passenger and I dont like the looks of the usual pipe that goes down low then kicks up in a megaphone shape
Spark is from a Dyna ignition and coils with B9ES plugs.
This motor sings a very nice tune from idle thru high boost. Sounds like a Indy car..
Took the Nitrous off years ago as it was just not needed since this is not a drag only machine . Suzie gets the job done just fine with boost only and has good street manners.
More to follow Thanks
Dave B) B) B)

The following user(s) said Thank You: mopguy