Winterize 101

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Nov 2014 06:16 #654198 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Winterize 101

Grnole wrote: I guess I should move again. I am in the process of buying a house, and keeping the bike in a friends garage. Until I close. I think I will likely ride it less than I would like or have access - so I am going to go with some stabil in tank, Run it through the bike, then drain the carbs.

That or pack my sh** and move to arizona.

If you do,

watch out for these critters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Nov 2014 06:19 #654200 by SWest
Attachments:

More
20 Nov 2014 06:53 - 20 Nov 2014 07:02 #654204 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Winterize 101
Us neighborhood kids that lusted after but couldn't afford gasoline powered control line model airplanes, used a piece of Mom's sewing thread to tether a June-bug and fly it round and round. :woohoo:

This is when we weren't otherwise occupied trying to get somebody to push us around playing motorcycle rider while sitting atop an apple box on a common kid's scooter.

(With apologies for aiding and abetting the on-going thread hijacking.)

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Nov 2014 07:02 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: pete greek1

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
20 Nov 2014 07:08 #654205 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Winterize 101
Just thinking ahead my friend, just thinking ahead.

More
20 Nov 2014 09:06 - 20 Nov 2014 09:11 #654215 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Winterize 101
When I lived where there was snow, winter was the building season. When you can only ride so many months out of the year, why waste those months tearing your bike apart.

I always had a bunch of new and improved goodies for my bikes stashed just waiting for wintertime to install them. Bigger pistons, cylinder head with bigger valves, or the biggest cam I could buy and still be able to ride it on the street.

Try to put that fancy new swingarm on your bike that the builder told you "bolts right up" and it doesn't fit by a mile. In the winter you can send it back and not lose one day of riding time.

You have all winter to do this. You can take your time, and not half-ass anything together!!

Plus that new set of CR's looks so good under the Christmas tree!!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2014 09:11 by Dr. Gamma. Reason: changed a few things.

More
20 Nov 2014 09:33 #654218 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Winterize 101

JR wrote: Depends where you live and how cold it gets. My bike is under a cover since last week and I wont see it until March. We have snow on the ground and temperature is currently -8 C

I
Change the oil
Clean the bike
Put Stabil in the gas tank and fill the tank right up - prevents rust
Drain the carbs
Put a tea spoon (5cc) oil in the cylinders and turn engine over a few times with the plugs out.
Remove the battery and bring it inside and put it on a charger once a month or so
Place bike on center stand and raise front wheel off the ground
Let some air out of the tires.
Stuff a plastic bagl in the exhaust to discourage critters.
Stuff the airbox
Put on the breathable cover
Dont look at it until March

In the Spring I usually transfer the gas with Stabil to the car and buy fresh gas

+1

Only thing I would add is to lube the cables. But that's pretty solid procedure there. ^^^

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

More
20 Nov 2014 16:48 #654248 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Winterize 101
Texas we summerize our bike's. July August it get's to hot to ride
so that's when I do project's then ride all winter

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
25 Nov 2014 13:17 #654621 by Jonny
Replied by Jonny on topic Winterize 101
I follow much the same winterizing list as above.
Never have lubed the cables, but I will certainly consider it for this winter.

Although, I presently live in a house with an unfinished basement, and a fairly steep, but usable walk-through into the basement. Last year when I tore the bike/engine apart for a rebuild, I was able to do it all in there. I might try the 'run it once a month' method this year, and vent the exhaust out a window with dryer venting or suchlike. (YES! I have a CO monitor in the basement, so I shouldn't kill myself if there is a leak.)

Worth mentioning I figure is giving all the chrome/shiny aluminum bits a wipe with something to protect them from moisture/oxidation over the winter. I have had good luck with NevrDull, It comes in a tin, and is a cotton wadding like material presoaked with some kind waxy polish. You are generally meant to buff it off right away, but I've found that when I leave the slightly cloudy polish liquid to dry, it still wipes away easily and cleanly months later, and the finish on all the shiny bits is as good as the day I put it away.

Jon

'78 KZ 650C2 'Lila'
'71 Norton Commando 750 'Eadie'

St. Catharines, ON (Mostly, anyway...)

More
25 Nov 2014 13:31 #654624 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Winterize 101
Be really really careful regarding CO. Very dangerous stuff. Odorless and colorless. You don't notice it then you get dizzy and it you don't hit the off button at that point or get to fresh air immediately then there's a good chance you're dead.

I like the Never Dull tip.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed

More
25 Nov 2014 14:03 #654631 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Winterize 101

JR wrote: Be really really careful regarding CO. Very dangerous stuff. Odorless and colorless. You don't notice it then you get dizzy and it you don't hit the off button at that point or get to fresh air immediately then there's a good chance you're dead......

That is absolutely true!! Years ago I was building a house and I put a small portable generator in the basement for power for a task I was doing at night. I didn't want it outside because the neighbors might raise hell about the noise. The house had no windows in it yet, and I was working on the 2nd floor, so I figured there was plenty of fresh air blowing through so I would be ok. WRONG! I was very lucky to recognize I was getting very woozy and get out of the house before it killed me. Be VERY careful! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• ShouterVW
  • Visitor
11 Dec 2014 16:02 #655868 by ShouterVW
Replied by ShouterVW on topic Re:Winterize 101
I drain the tank, then fill it with av gas. Run it enough to get the carbs full of it, then let it sit over winter. Never fails.

More
24 Oct 2015 12:38 #695773 by KZam440
Replied by KZam440 on topic Winterize 101
LIIIIIIVVE!!!
Sorry to revive an old threat, but I'm trying to winterize my KZ for the first time (my first year riding). Does anyone "lube the forks"? And what exactly does that mean? Also, what lube/oil do you use for this? I've tried searching google, this site & can't come across anything.