Gloves for colder weather/hard knuckle opinions.

• CharlieLamberti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2014 15:29 #650387 by CharlieLamberti
Gloves for colder weather/hard knuckle opinions. was created by CharlieLamberti
Getting too cold for the gloves I'm running, Looking on-line and I'm basically between these two.

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-zoom-h2o-gloves

www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-element-2-h20-gloves

Leaning towards the second option, but this being my first time buying motorcycle gloves.. have any advice?

I'm on the fence on hard knuckle protection, the non-hard knuckle gloves sound more comfortable. Thoughts?

Keep on keepin' on.

1981 kz750ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2014 16:39 - 11 Oct 2014 16:41 #650395 by mopguy
I am sure you can find similar insulated gloves at your local bike store or fleamarket for a lot less, I paid $35.00 for mine and I can ride in the coldest of weather here in Toronto, Canada as long as there is no snow in the ground, make sure the gloves go over your sleeves, a neck /face warmer also helps.

I have a 1980 Kawasaki KZ750 Ltd. I bought new. I recently managed to get it out of my garage after 28 years and put it on the road again (2010). I feel like a kid all over again. Since I have acquired 3 78 KZ1000 Ltd, 1 1981 KZ1000 Ltd, and another 1980 KZ750 Ltd. Love the LTD's.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2014 16:41 by mopguy. Reason: added

More
11 Oct 2014 23:06 #650435 by wakeboardr42393
Replied by wakeboardr42393 on topic Gloves for colder weather/hard knuckle opinions.
Yeah I have the same problem. Some halfway decent gloves will work fine for around town, but for extended rides longer then 20 mins in cold weather (<40degrees F), especially in the wet, the basic gloves don't cut it for me. I've tried a few different gloves including heavy work gloves and high end snowboarding gloves. these two, my favorite two for cold riding, are good, until it's raining or the cold rally sinks in.

I asked my hardcore harley freind how he keeps his hands warm, and he told me he bought heated gloves form a harley dealer. You wire in a little connector to your bike's battery and plug the gloves' connectors in every ride. seems legit.

I've been looking into some heated riding gloves and although expensive, nothing else has worked so I may go get some.

1981 Kawasaki KZ 550 LTD :)
1987 BMW 325is

More
12 Oct 2014 07:07 #650452 by 650ed
Many years ago I rode a friend's Yamaha in the dead of Winter. He had "Hippo Hands" mounted on the handlebars. They kept my hands nice and warm; I was surprised how well they worked. They don't look very sexy, but if the ones made today work as well as the ones he had I would buy a set if I planned to ride in cold weather. Ed

www.hippohands.com/HIPPO%20HANDS.htm

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• CharlieLamberti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
12 Oct 2014 07:59 #650459 by CharlieLamberti
Replied by CharlieLamberti on topic Gloves for colder weather/hard knuckle opinions.
Thanks for the responses.

Mopguy- I'm interested in a glove that is designed with riding a motorcycle in mind, and the idea of having some protection built in sounds good to me.

Wake- Right now I'm riding with a set of extra heavy leather gloves that are meant for handling razor wire. Not sure what the hide is, but these gloves are thicker than normal cow hide. They are surprisingly good, but if i head out somewhere in the afternoon and head home late my hands freeze.

I'm planning on getting the gloves a size large so I can use whatever type of slide in suits the conditions. Don't want to get heated gloves and have one burn out, then it's just a glove with broken electronics in it.

Ed- Those are an awesome idea, unfortunately at the moment the site list them as being out of stock for my motorcycle.

Gonna head to the gear hut later on and see what they have lying around,

Keep on keepin' on.

1981 kz750ltd

• CharlieLamberti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2014 13:53 #650645 by CharlieLamberti
Replied by CharlieLamberti on topic Gloves for colder weather/hard knuckle opinions.
Picked a pair of these up XXL. www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-summit-h2o-gloves

Very comfortable and not too hot for warmer days. They will be too thick for summer riding I'd say, though heavy enough that paired with a liner they'll see me through the cold. The amount of protection they offer is very high for what they cost in having looked through other options.

What liners would you recommend?

Thinking these will do nicely. www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/oxford-chillout-inner-gloves

Keep on keepin' on.

1981 kz750ltd

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
14 Oct 2014 16:16 #650665 by DoctoRot
Those look like nice gloves. I tried the liners in gloves but i found it difficult to be smooth on the controls with that much material in the way. Even still with the liner, when it gets really cold, it doesn't matter how good the gloves are on a longer ride. The only respite is having a throttle lock so you can switch hands and keep one behind the head, but this seems to ruin the water proofing in most gloves i have done this to. These days I try not to ride when its that cold because there is usually ice around. Hippo hands is probably the way to go, thats why you see the bike cops with them in the winter, either that or heated gloves/grips.

• CharlieLamberti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2014 19:12 #650679 by CharlieLamberti
So far the gloves are awesome, we'll see how they last the winter

This is my first motorcycle, so I have yet to find my comfort zone for all sorts of stuff. Not sure how far into he winter I'll make it, but I'm gonna give it a go. I'll likely avoid sub 30's.

Will likely put some grip heaters on the old girl just for fun/ just in case. I think with heaters, the gloves, and liners I'll be able to push it pretty far. They do make those big windshields with hand guards molded into them, always an option too.

I looked into hippo hands briefly and the site listed 'em as sold out for my model.

Keep on keepin' on.

1981 kz750ltd