First Bike and need answers for my questions!!

More
12 Aug 2014 18:58 #643717 by Patton
The missing stock air-box is a definite turn-off, because the engine won't ever run right without the air-box, and likely won't start without the air-box, even if the bike is otherwise perfect.

Also, the 440 engines aren't pod-friendly.

If not already done, would check at ebay for comparative pricing of similar models in running condition.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 19:17 #643722 by LineArtist
Replied by LineArtist on topic First Bike and need answers for my questions!!
Welcome! That bike looks like it's been customized by someone else and at some point stopped the project (ie missing parts). I'm a new rider and can't say enough about the MSF course. Will suggest you take it first chance available if you intend on riding a motorcycle.

IMPORTANT: before you spend any $$$ on a project make sure you can register the bike in your state, otherwise you will not be able to ride it.

Now about the bike. These good old KZ bikes are amazing. Even if you don't know anything about KZ history, when you get one and ride one your life will change. That being said, find a good running bike you like, wrench it, learn the basics, ride it and then let the cafe idea sit in your head for a few months. You may just scrap the idea after you start riding.

Carbs are easy to clean and understand, just get a factory service manual to help you through the procedure (plenty of info here in the forum also).

I found my bike back in November sitting in a garage, took it home, wrenched it back to life in a few months, took the MSF and now have a couple hundred miles under my belt - and totally happy about my 79/KZ650.

... just my 79 cents

'79 KZ650B3 (stock)
'79 KZ650B3 (parts bike)
'06 HD 883R

More
13 Aug 2014 10:56 #643797 by cafegirl33
Replied by cafegirl33 on topic First Bike and need answers for my questions!!
Well cant i just get an air box and install it? and its a kz400 idk if that makes any difference in the mods. Im just thinking that if i can get this for 370-400 its gota be a good deal even if i have to put 500 in it just to get it running. But then again i dont know much about this yet lol

More
13 Aug 2014 13:44 #643823 by 650ed

cafegirl33 wrote: Well cant i just get an air box and install it? ...

That's exactly what I would do. :) Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)