First Bike and need answers for my questions!!

More
12 Aug 2014 09:42 #643624 by cafegirl33
Hello guys,
so i am about to purchase my first bike and make it a cafe racer :) but i have a few questions on what to look for when buying. attached will be the pics of the bike im looking at i can get it for $400 but he said it needs a new carb other than that it looks like its good condition. im just wondering what i should be looking for when i go to look at it and if its a good deal. Any input will help me! hopfully these pics can help yall out.

Thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 09:48 #643625 by cafegirl33
Replied by cafegirl33 on topic First Bike and need answers for my questions!!
oh BTW its a 1980 KZ400

• guitargeek
  • User
  • Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self absorbed.
More
12 Aug 2014 10:07 #643627 by guitargeek
Replied by guitargeek on topic First Bike and need answers for my questions!!
Do you have a friend who is an experienced rider/wrench? Take them with you to look at the bike...

Does it start and run?
Any weird noises?
Do all the controls work okay?
How old are the tires?

Do you have proper safety gear?
If you haven't already, take the MSF rider training course!

Don't be in a hurry to cafe the bike, just learn how to ride it and care for it for a while. Caffeinating is a good winter project...

1980 KZ750-H1 (slightly altered)
1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN, cafegirl33

More
12 Aug 2014 10:13 #643628 by cafegirl33
Yeah im not going cafe till i get the feel for the bike for sure. and i ride dirt bikes with my friends but i have never drove a motorcycle and i dont have anyone that knows anything about them to go with me. I know it doesnt start due to the fact he said it needs a new carburator. but i figure if i can get it for 350-400 that i can just buy one for it and get it installed. I already planned on putting new tires and wheels asap after i got it.

• Forrest
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
12 Aug 2014 10:15 #643629 by Forrest
I agree with Guitargeek. Do yourself a favor and have an experienced mechanic go over it. You may or may not need a new carb. It may just need to be rebuilt. Once you have the bike in good safe running condition, live with it for awhile. You can then take your time planning the cafe build out if you still wish to do so.

Welcome to KZ Rider and enjoy the new to you bike. AND, keep the pictures coming.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

The following user(s) said Thank You: cafegirl33

More
12 Aug 2014 10:18 #643630 by Tomolu5
The carbs likely just need to be rebuilt, unless somebody stripped out the jets, or broke off a float post. Other than that the parts inside are mostly replaceable.

I would make sure it turns over and has spark, and make sure the engine oil is black.

Check to make sure the brakes are free, and not leaking.

For a $400 motorcycle your gonna have some repairs to make, buy it is a bargaining chip if there is no spark. Personally I would walk if the engine didn't turn over freely, but that's mostly because other examples can be had for the money.

On last piece of advice, try to stay away from Any modifications that can't be reversed. You will find there is almost always more value in a stock running bike than even a well done cafe.

I do like this bike for a cafe though, it is what they are supposed to be, a smaller nimble bike. I think 900's and 1000's look ridiculous when cafe'd, they are huge, and heavy...not cafe material.

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cafegirl33

More
12 Aug 2014 10:22 #643631 by cafegirl33
okay thank you so much! i am currently looking into the course right now to take. I will be going to look at it this weekend so i will be sure to let you know how everything goes! I saw online that a rebuilt carb was only like $300 or something like that so hopefully thats all that i will need to do to get it running.

• guitargeek
  • User
More
12 Aug 2014 10:22 - 12 Aug 2014 10:23 #643632 by guitargeek
Yes, chances are that you don't need to replace the carburetors (it has two), just clean them out, install gaskets and synchronize.

You also shouldn't need new wheels, just tires (depending on their condition)... but you might also need new wheel bearings... or you might not.

This site is mostly for people who like to do their own work, very few of us are willing to pay a mechanic to do work that we enjoy... Stick around, read everything, you'll soon be wrenching with confidence!

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"
Last edit: 12 Aug 2014 10:23 by guitargeek.

More
12 Aug 2014 10:53 #643640 by cafegirl33
Yes i plan on doing everything i can myself i have been trying to read every thing on the internet to become more knowledgable about the parts and how they work. I still have a long way to go but i am very excited about my new found love(vintage motorcycles) haha. I will try to get a video or more pics when i actually go and look at it this weekend for yall. Please keep the comments coming anything you think will help me! Like i said i am still really new to this all!

• guitargeek
  • User
More
12 Aug 2014 10:56 #643641 by guitargeek
Just remember, and this is important...

You don't buy an old bike to ride, you buy it to work on.
If you do everything right, the bike might let you ride it.

1987 KZ1000-P6 "Ponch"
1979 GS1000 "Dadzuki"

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
12 Aug 2014 11:06 #643642 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic First Bike and need answers for my questions!!
guitargeek, I have never heard that one before! It is on my office wall now! Truer word were never written! LOL!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitargeek

More
12 Aug 2014 11:30 - 12 Aug 2014 11:33 #643646 by bassie10
Replied by bassie10 on topic First Bike and need answers for my questions!!

guitargeek wrote: Just remember, and this is important...

You don't buy an old bike to ride, you buy it to work on.

I'm gonna use that one when they ask me when I will be riding my ST to work so they can see it! B)
Last edit: 12 Aug 2014 11:33 by bassie10.