Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 15 May 2014 18:53 #632604

• Kz200Kid
  • Kz200Kid's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys so I'm new to all this any help would be great. So I just bought a 1979 kz200 in very good condition in my eyes starts great and sounds healthy. I bought it from an old man. I road the bike for 5 mins and it ran great so I bought it. The bike has a new battery and coil and plug and oil change that's all I know. When I got the bike home I just road it on my side streets for a couple of days and it ran great like new. When I got my plates for it I took it for a ride going average speeds of 40 -45 mph with no problem and still had a hell of alot of throttle left. After like 30 mins of riding it started to bog out and died. started it back up with a few kicks and electric start and it was real sensitive when I got it started back up and it would die again when giving it some gas waited like 1hr and half bike start right up again and ran great for like 35 mins and did the same thing. Also when I bought the bike the guy told me that the headlight did not work. I didn't think nothing of it until I checked the fuses the middle fuse is blown. The guy was bike savvy and I find it hard to believe he didn't check the fuse to see if that would fix the light problem Or maybe I'm just over paranoid because of this problem i'm having. Lol i'm hoping it's not a big problem because the bike runs great and sounds great for those 30 minutes that it runs Thanks guys any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by KZQ.

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 15 May 2014 19:07 #632605

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
It doesn't sound at all like a carb problem to me; I would not touch the carb!

I would get the Kawasaki Service Manual and use the diagnostic tests in there to test the functions of the charging system and the electrical system. Replace the blown fuse. If if blows again you obviously have an electrical problem. If so, find it and fix it. In other words, instead of trying to guess at what may be causing the other problem go through and systematically correct all known problems first. Doing so may correct more than you expect.

Also, I would use the manual to perform a full tune-up on the bike. That will eliminate a bunch of variables, so if the problem persists at least you will have fewer possibilities to research. Trying to troubleshoot problems on a bike that you don't know the history of can be difficult, so doing a tune-up will help establish a new baseline from which to start. Below is a link to some info that should help you with your"new" bike. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/589649-...r-savannah-ga#594587
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kz200Kid

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 15 May 2014 19:32 #632607

• Kz200Kid
  • User
Thanks Ed when I get the bike home I will replace the fuse with the correct one and see if that fixes my headlight problem if not I will go through the wiring the best of my ability and see if I find any shorts or melted rubber. Thanks again for your insight I really do appreciate it.

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 16 May 2014 00:33 #632620

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
Sounds Like a problem with the gas cap vent. When it dies open gas cap.

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 20 May 2014 16:27 #633142

• Kz200Kid
  • User
An update for my issue I just order the fuse should be coming in soon. Mean whine I went riding with my gas cap open to see if maybe it was a venting problem. But after like 6miles aka 40mins of riding same problem starts idling roughy and eventually died and wouldn't start back up for at least 4 to 5 hours. But when I was riding it ran like new!!! I've overlooked all my wires on the frame and by the battery none them seem to be shorting out when I get that fuse I will put it in and see if it will pop. It's the fuse that connected to the blue wire which I believe it is my headlight fuse cuz my head light dose not work. Other than that the previous owner clean the carbs put a new spark plug and coil oil change and new battery. Anyone have any other ideas of this issue thanks.

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 20 May 2014 17:48 #633166

• Tomolu5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
+1 on ed's advice, especially the part about not touching the carbs. The full tune up, along with fixing the headlight issue is most likely the best, most effective path to follow. other info, such as is there spark when it dies will also help to clear things up. I also do not recomend altering the wiring harness in any way without good cause. remember that you are likely only a simple repair away from a perfectly running bike.

welcome to the site!
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kz200Kid

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 20 May 2014 17:55 #633167

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I wonder if the coil is getting warm and failing until it cools off. Try this - start the bike up and let it run for about 2 or 3 minutes so it's running well. Then try warming the coil with a hair dryer to see if the problem happens when the coils gets warm. It shouldn't, but sometimes faulty coils only show their problems after they get hot. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 20 May 2014 19:36 #633198

• Tomolu5
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
I've had a quad with the same failure you are refering to ed.
Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 20 May 2014 20:36 #633209

• Kz200Kid
  • User
Hey guys thank you so much for your advice. So I just changed the fuse and now the highbeam low beam indicator light actually turns on which it never did before but still no headlight so I checked the bulb and the filament is actually broken I just ordered a new bulb I will be installing it shortly As it arrives. Thank you Ed for all your information and advice. Once I get all the basic stuff fixed I am bringing the bike to a mechanic I just found in my neighborhood works on older bikes. I will be telling him all the stuff you guys have told me hopefully we can figure this out together.

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 21 May 2014 04:13 #633222

• Topper
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 133
I agree with Ed. Coil could be failing when hot. It could also be a fuel supply issue. Clean the screen in the petcock and temporarily remove any inline fuel filters, then go for a ride.

How's the inside of the tank look? It sounds like it's taking longer and longer for the bike to come back to life each time. Which makes me think maybe there's rust and junk building up in the fuel lines.
Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 21 May 2014 05:51 #633233

• lightitup
  • User
  • Thank you received: 10
have you checked ur battery voltage before and after it dies. also look in the back of the manual for a troubleshooting guide.
81 kz 550 ltd

Help KZ200 keeps dying. 21 May 2014 08:31 #633263

• Kz200Kid
  • User
Thanks guys today after I get off of work I'm going to check the spark plug i'm starting to think it is the coil even though it was replaced six months ago but I have been doing some reading and research and they say the regulator could be overcharging and also when this happens your Blubs tend to the burn out which could explain the blown fuse and headlight I have. But could the regulator have anything to do with my engine dying after 40 to 45 minutes of riding I am going to change the fuel and clean the petcock today as well thank you guys for everything!

• Page: