Stretching a KZ1000E1 (shaftie)

More
07 Apr 2014 19:20 #628272 by nitrokeeb
Replied by nitrokeeb on topic Stretching a KZ1000E1 (shaftie)

Serpent7 wrote: I have a few more pieces to powder coat on my 79 KZ1000. My left, and right engine covers are going out next. Then my (I call them triangles) foot peg, triangle and exhaust connectors. and finally my front and rear wheels, and calipers. After that I will start to stretch my driveshaft 6 inches. Going to get in contact with a driveshaft place for the mod. Any suggestions on what/where?

A little late for the suggestion, but when I needed the driveshaft shortened in my 'Vette, I ended up going to the local 4 Wheel Parts. Those off road guys are no stranger to custom driveshafts. Another idea is heavy truck shops. When trucks are upfitted and the wheelbase changed, the driveshaft has to be shortened/lengthened to match.

1978 KZ1000B LTD w/KZ900 engine
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
More
08 Apr 2014 06:50 #628310 by Serpent7
Replied by Serpent7 on topic Stretching a KZ1000E1 (shaftie)

nitrokeeb wrote:

Serpent7 wrote: I have a few more pieces to powder coat on my 79 KZ1000. My left, and right engine covers are going out next. Then my (I call them triangles) foot peg, triangle and exhaust connectors. and finally my front and rear wheels, and calipers. After that I will start to stretch my driveshaft 6 inches. Going to get in contact with a driveshaft place for the mod. Any suggestions on what/where?

A little late for the suggestion, but when I needed the driveshaft shortened in my 'Vette, I ended up going to the local 4 Wheel Parts. Those off road guys are no stranger to custom driveshafts. Another idea is heavy truck shops. When trucks are upfitted and the wheelbase changed, the driveshaft has to be shortened/lengthened to match.

Not late at all!!! And, that is a great suggestion! I didn't think about that. I won't really start my stretched project until this years riding season is over (late November, yearly December). Right now just collecting data, and parts. There is a pic of a stretched 1300 KZ shaftie (green, and white I believe) floating around on the web. I'd like to find the pic again, and find the owner, and pic his brain. Can't remember where I saw the pic though.
My immediate goal is to powder coat, the last few parts (pictured), powder coat my wheels and calipers, pic up some clip-ons, install my lowering blocks, new tires, and hope I don't need to change my rear shocks (currently 11" eye, to eye) to 10" eye-to-eye. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't. I'm thinking I could be on the road by early Sept. - Early Nov. Then over the Winter, all I have is my shaft project, and a major clean-up (including powder coating every bolt, washer, and nut. Next summer, will be its official "$5000 (inside joke) release party!"

Yes, you heard right…. Going to do all this work to it, and then sell it! Just because...

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.