how to learn more about fixing my bike.

• AjKZBobber
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New KZ rider...Long time dirt biker
More
20 Mar 2014 14:11 #625923 by AjKZBobber
how to learn more about fixing my bike. was created by AjKZBobber
So, as with any bike, I inevitably run into problems just like everyone else. Even though I have limited room, I like to tinker, but since I don't have a whole lot of knowledge about this stuff my tinkering is very limited.

Is there a good way to learn this stuff other than basic trial and error. I do want to be able to ride my bike, so I dont want to mess things up really bad in the process of trying to do something minor.

I read lots of posts on this site about all kinds of topics, but the lingo and the technical aspect is pretty much over my head. I am just an average guy with a love of riding, but I also want to be able to do work on the bike myself without messing anything up too badly.

Where do I start? What is the best way to find help? I would love to go to school to learn this stuff, but I dont have the time while working a full time swing shift job.

1979 kz750 b4 twin bobber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2014 14:41 #625924 by murquiza
Replied by murquiza on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
Step #1 get the Service Manual and read it.

Bikes:
1979 KZ650-D2 SR
2006 Vulcan 2000-A
2006 ZX10R
2008 Versys KLE650

• AjKZBobber
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
20 Mar 2014 14:44 #625925 by AjKZBobber
Replied by AjKZBobber on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
I have a digital copy of the service manual, but it's really hard to see what the pictures are showing, and without that is difficult for me to understand. I can be pretty dyslexic just reading. I need more of a visual aid.

More
20 Mar 2014 15:05 #625928 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
There's a youtuber with the username mrmaxstorey (I believe he may also be a member on here?) who has a lot of how to videos that helped me out a lot when I was just getting into repairs. He also runs a website www.themotorcyclemedic.com that can take you step by step to fix a motorcycle that isn't running

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
More
20 Mar 2014 17:00 #625943 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
Start doing the routine maintenance outlined in the owner's manual & use the Kawasaki factory service manual as an aid if necessary. Easy stuff like proper chain adjustment & lubrication or cable lubrication or install a new air filter.... that sort of thing.

You'll need a couple of torque wrenches: one in ft-lbs for most of the typical stuff & another one in INCH-lbs for doing the smaller bolts. Use common sense & reference the manual when tightening stuff... you don't need to crank down everything tight w brute force. Torque specs are scattered throughout the manual, but there is also a list in the 1st chapter or thereabouts & there may be a torque spec guidance page for those cases in which there isn't a spec listed.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
20 Mar 2014 17:06 #625945 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
Good to hear from you AJ, you missed the relay.
What's giving you trouble?

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

• AjKZBobber
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2014 11:41 #626036 by AjKZBobber
The only issues that I have right now with the bike is that the tail light stays on all the time and doesnt change to a brighter setting during braking. Also, I rode the bike around the block the other day for the first run of the season(since its been so cold here), and it died a few times. I think this is because of the battery though, since I had to jump start it anyways.

• AjKZBobber
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Mar 2014 11:42 #626037 by AjKZBobber

bluej58 wrote: Good to hear from you AJ, you missed the relay.

I didnt get an email notification when you contacted me about the relay. I didnt see the message until a couple days after you came through town. Would have loved to have been there.

More
21 Mar 2014 16:06 - 22 Mar 2014 05:06 #626076 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
The tail light problem could be the bulb. It should be dual filament. One filament is illuminated all the time & the other one illuminates when you apply the brake, making the tail light brighter.

I guess the bike has a bare bones wiring setup? Most KZs have a brake indicator/warning light, usually at the tachometer. When the brake is applied, it illuminates. If there's a brake light problem, it flashes.

Starting problem. Be sure to check the battery. It would be good to have a battery trickle charger. I've been using an old Schumacher charger, but I just received a Ctek charger today. After charging, the battery should have at least 12.6 VDC, but a good battery will be higher (~13.1+ VDC). A digital multimeter is handy to have. I use a VC97.... the Robotroom rated it a good one. (eebbaayy ~ $30).
Last edit: 22 Mar 2014 05:06 by martin_csr.

More
21 Mar 2014 16:37 #626080 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
If you want to learn how to work on a bike look at the link I posted

More
21 Mar 2014 19:01 #626094 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic how to learn more about fixing my bike.
Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: