Air Tech clip-ons?

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Nothing professionally, only for fun...
More
16 Jan 2014 17:16 - 16 Jan 2014 17:17 #618881 by Serpent7
Air Tech clip-ons? was created by Serpent7
I'm' thinking about changing up the look of my KZ this year and removing the front fairing, and going with clip-ons instead of actual full handle bars. My questions are, How do they feel (comfort) compared to euro bars? Does anyone have experience with AirTech's quality? Do all the factory accessories fit back on the clip-ons? The Airtech clip-ons and accesories to mount my headlight are expensive, is the high price worth it, are there other companies out there who sell the same thing, with the same, or better quality for less?

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
79 Volkswagen Transporter
73 Volkswagen Thing
Last edit: 16 Jan 2014 17:17 by Serpent7.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2014 08:46 #618955 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Air Tech clip-ons?
I have found over the years that no aftermarket pieces just "bolts" on these alder bikes. I have ALWAYS ended up having to make the piece fit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Serpent7

More
17 Jan 2014 11:52 #618970 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Air Tech clip-ons?

baldy110 wrote: I have found over the years that no aftermarket pieces just "bolts" on these alder bikes. I have ALWAYS ended up having to make the piece fit.

You got that right!!!

BOLTS RIGHT ON After a few years around building bikes you will learn to hate those three words.

Everytime I hear those words the hair on the back of my neck stands up!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
24 Jan 2014 01:18 #619856 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Air Tech clip-ons?

Serpent7 wrote: I'm' thinking about changing up the look of my KZ this year and removing the front fairing, and going with clip-ons instead of actual full handle bars. My questions are, How do they feel (comfort) compared to euro bars? Does anyone have experience with AirTech's quality? Do all the factory accessories fit back on the clip-ons? The Airtech clip-ons and accesories to mount my headlight are expensive, is the high price worth it, are there other companies out there who sell the same thing, with the same, or better quality for less?

If you are interested in how clip-ons feel i would go to a bike dealer and sit on some bikes. I personally do not like clip-ons as it shifts alot of weight onto your arms and kills my wrists. i also feel like i have less low speed coordination because of the weight shift. i will admit they make your bike look pretty sleek. As far as quality, most of the things i have gotten from airtech have a nice finish, although i would be surprised if they made those bars in house. you will have to do some drilling on the bars to thread the wires through because your switches are currently fed through the handlebars. if you want a clean look you will have to find shorter throttle cables, and a shorter brake line to your splitter.

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2014 11:45 #621669 by Serpent7
Replied by Serpent7 on topic Air Tech clip-ons?

DoctoRot wrote:

Serpent7 wrote: I'm' thinking about changing up the look of my KZ this year and removing the front fairing, and going with clip-ons instead of actual full handle bars. My questions are, How do they feel (comfort) compared to euro bars? Does anyone have experience with AirTech's quality? Do all the factory accessories fit back on the clip-ons? The Airtech clip-ons and accesories to mount my headlight are expensive, is the high price worth it, are there other companies out there who sell the same thing, with the same, or better quality for less?

If you are interested in how clip-ons feel i would go to a bike dealer and sit on some bikes. I personally do not like clip-ons as it shifts alot of weight onto your arms and kills my wrists. i also feel like i have less low speed coordination because of the weight shift. i will admit they make your bike look pretty sleek. As far as quality, most of the things i have gotten from airtech have a nice finish, although i would be surprised if they made those bars in house. you will have to do some drilling on the bars to thread the wires through because your switches are currently fed through the handlebars. if you want a clean look you will have to find shorter throttle cables, and a shorter brake line to your splitter.

Good info Doc! Didn't think about my wiring through the handle bars... Something to consider.

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
09 Feb 2014 13:59 #621678 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Air Tech clip-ons?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

I used these for my dual headlights on my 77 1000a1 they were the same width as the stock single

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
09 Feb 2014 15:40 #621686 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Air Tech clip-ons?
I bought some airtech Steel clipons years ago. They worked great, but when I first got them, the black powder coat was too thick on the inside of the fork claping tubes, which made them too tight to fit the forks. I didn't want to spread them open since they wouldn't match the curve of the fork tube, so I had to sand a some of powder coating off of the inside of the clamping tubes. Then it fit perfectly. I had to find the right diameter cylinder to wrap sand paper around in order to make sure it was smooth, with a consistent radius.

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2014 16:01 #621688 by Serpent7

loudhvx wrote: I bought some airtech Steel clipons years ago. They worked great, but when I first got them, the black powder coat was too thick on the inside of the fork claping tubes, which made them too tight to fit the forks. I didn't want to spread them open since they wouldn't match the curve of the fork tube, so I had to sand a some of powder coating off of the inside of the clamping tubes. Then it fit perfectly. I had to find the right diameter cylinder to wrap sand paper around in order to make sure it was smooth, with a consistent radius.

Pretty sure they also sell the headlight clips too. Ima go with the chrome clip-ons.

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
09 Feb 2014 16:11 #621689 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Air Tech clip-ons?
The last few I've bought were chrome, Tommaselli replicas off ebay. Just over $50. They do fit better out of the box, but after getting wet a few times, rust will start to poke through the thin chrome. It cleans up easily and the pits disappear.

• Serpent7
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Feb 2014 16:19 #621690 by Serpent7

loudhvx wrote: The last few I've bought were chrome, Tommaselli replicas off ebay. Just over $50. They do fit better out of the box, but after getting wet a few times, rust will start to poke through the thin chrome. It cleans up easily and the pits disappear.

Yeah, I have found a few on ebay cheaper (around the $50 mark) that's why I'm wondering about these $85 from airtech. If I get a cheap pair off of ebay, I don't mind them rusting a little when wet. If I buy these $85 ones and it happens, Ima be a little upset.

19 Audi Q5
14 Volkswagen Touareg X
97 Honda Shadow Spirit
79 Kawasaki KZ1000 st
73 Volkswagen Thing

More
11 Feb 2014 07:34 #621889 by DesertKZ
Replied by DesertKZ on topic Air Tech clip-ons?
I got mine from fastfromthepast.com. Good quality, had them on a few years now and I love the look/feel.

1979 KZ1000 Shaft
1979 CX500C
1975 GT750 Smoker

More
13 Feb 2014 13:08 #622123 by Dumont
Replied by Dumont on topic Air Tech clip-ons?
I use Woodcraft clipons on my Ducati. It took some getting used to at first, but now I would not go back to the "motocross" bars it had. And of course it looks a TON better ;-)

78 KZ650(Project)
09 Monster 1100s
07 Monster S2R1000 sold
97 Daytona T595 sold
95 KX250 sold
82 GPz 550 sold
87 Ninja ZX10r sold
79 KZ650csr sold
82 CR250 sold