Raingear question.

More
24 Dec 2013 20:32 - 24 Dec 2013 22:39 #616347 by anotherZ
Raingear question. was created by anotherZ
Can someone from the wet North give me some advice? Being from CenTx I haven't ridden in the rain much. Next year I have planned a longer trip. What raingear would you recommend?. Of course it should be cheap, 100% waterproof, lightweight.... B)
Thanks, Olaf

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Saved it from becoming a drag bike
Smaller tank
Last edit: 24 Dec 2013 22:39 by KZQ.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2013 23:18 #616351 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Raingear question.
Frog Togs.Got mine at Academy

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
25 Dec 2013 06:18 #616362 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Raingear question.
Check out Jafrum on the net.
Rainsuits 30 Dollars and up. I paid 30 bucks 3 years ago and have had great luck with the suit when I rode to New York on the 10th anniversary of 911 with Rolling Thunder and it rained hard on us 75 percent of the time from Detroit to Ground Zero and back Great selection and great prices. Good Luck

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
25 Dec 2013 18:23 #616404 by anotherZ
Replied by anotherZ on topic Raingear question.
So it seems you are pretty happy with the cheaper ones? You don't see a need to pay $100 for a jacket and pants each?

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Smaller tank

• Street Fighter LTD
More
26 Dec 2013 05:12 #616418 by Street Fighter LTD

anotherZ wrote: So it seems you are pretty happy with the cheaper ones? You don't see a need to pay $100 for a jacket and pants each?

That would be correct. I don't try and ride in the rain but I bought one for me and one for my wife and have had no issues with either suit. They have about 8o hours of seat time each and haven't failed. So my cheap suits have more than paid for themselves. 90 percent of this riding was at freeway speeds
Hope this helps

Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: anotherZ

More
26 Dec 2013 09:12 #616427 by anotherZ
Cool thanks, saves me some bucks. That helps this time of the year!

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Smaller tank

More
26 Dec 2013 09:24 #616429 by mdouglas71
Replied by mdouglas71 on topic Raingear question.
You'll definitely want to avoid Jafrum, they're not the highest of quality. However, check out www.motorcyclehouse.com/Motorcycle-Rain-Gear.htm . They should have a lot of different similar options. The only reason why I can't recommend Jafrum, is because their pricing is too ridiculously low to know what you're really getting. Think about it.. 40$ for a rain suit.. how cheaply made does that have to be...?

• Street Fighter LTD
More
26 Dec 2013 09:41 #616431 by Street Fighter LTD

mdouglas71 wrote: You'll definitely want to avoid Jafrum, they're not the highest of quality. However, check out www.motorcyclehouse.com/Motorcycle-Rain-Gear.htm . They should have a lot of different similar options. The only reason why I can't recommend Jafrum, is because their pricing is too ridiculously low to know what you're really getting. Think about it.. 40$ for a rain suit.. how cheaply made does that have to be...?

Buy what and where you want, but I had great luck with them buying rain gear ( Name Brand By the way ) and Helmets( Name Brand also ) and goggles. They also were great to work with on exchanges for different sizes as I ordered my first set of rain gear to large

More
26 Dec 2013 18:13 #616484 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Raingear question.
+1 on those. Nice and compact and can stash them under seat. I got the nelson rigg and it was a bit pricey at 100 something but very well made with awesome guarantee and customer service. I complained about leak and they sent me a new pair of pants without so much as batting an eye.

TexasKZ wrote: Frog Togs.Got mine at Academy

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
26 Dec 2013 19:54 #616491 by murquiza
Replied by murquiza on topic Raingear question.

TexasKZ wrote: Frog Togs.Got mine at Academy

+1

Get the Frogg Toggs Road Toads

Bikes:
1979 KZ650-D2 SR
2006 Vulcan 2000-A
2006 ZX10R
2008 Versys KLE650

More
26 Dec 2013 20:48 #616493 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Raingear question.
I had the Frog Toggs, whatever the name is, roadtoads and got soaked every time it rained, then one day it started raining, so I pull off the road and the wind blows my wife's set down the highway, as I struggle to get into mine, then my legs get in a pretzel shape trying to put them on, I fall down on the road, and since the Frog Toggs are like .001" thick of course they tear, then I have more leaks to contend with. A good motorist collects the wifes Road Toads and brings them to us so we are back on the road. Before this I always used the old Dry Rider PVC suits from the 70s and they worked fabulous except were torture to wear.
I knew there was another way and saw John Ryan ride the 5600 miles from Pruhdoe Bay, AK to Key West in 3 1/2 days and he didn't stop every 100 miles to put on a Chinese rain suit, wore the Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. I got me a suit after that and wear it. It rains, don't rain, makes no difference, just ride. Of course the suit is not cheap at like $900, but I love it.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
27 Dec 2013 10:00 #616518 by anotherZ
Thanks guys. I am going to check out the cheap ones and then decide whether to go with them or spend more or not...

79 KZ 1000 LTD
Smaller tank