Mad Dogs

More
13 Oct 2013 15:25 #609862 by KZJOE900
Mad Dogs was created by KZJOE900
Was planing a short ride in the country today and looking at the Google satellite. I thought I may further explore some roads I have rode already traveled. I was reminded of a topic I have wanted to ask the members on this site about. What has been people's experience in regard to coming upon unleashed dogs running loose on the road or sitting at property entrances. Just two days when going out for a one hour evening ride I ran into this situation twice. All on the same road within 2 miles of each other. One dog had crossed the road about 500 yards ahead. Well, you easily determine the hazard involved with that. However, the dog seemed (some pit bull mix) pretty passive so no problem. The other dog was sitting at the entrance of a property (driveway) at the side of the road. Again, no problem, just sat there as I went buy. However, last year I had couple of dogs chase me as I went buy. One was when I ran into a cul-de-sac there was this big overweight Pit breed with couple of small lap dogs (punters) as I approached the cul-de-sac they all came running out. I passed them before they reached the road and had to go past them again to exit. The little punters were causing me more worries than the big dog. As I got close, then I gunned it and made it past, LOL. On another occasion, I was going in 30 mph zone and a German shepherd gave chase. Got pasted and then ran into a dead end. Of course had to get past the dog on the way back again. Anyone have any stories regarding mad dogs? What tactic do you use?

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
13 Oct 2013 16:43 #609873 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Mad Dogs
my mom had a 6 pound wire terrier and that little chit would bite my hands like a piranha. I have dozens od 1/4 inch long white scars all over my hands from that little ball of teeth. It was like a buzz saw.

More
13 Oct 2013 16:53 #609874 by Nebr_Rex
Replied by Nebr_Rex on topic Mad Dogs
Defend yourself, you have weight and power on your side. If an aggressive animal isn't afraid to get close
to the machine, give it a reason to be. Dogs are no problem unless you have no clear shot to accelerate
away from the situation. Now deer, cattle and Buffalo are a different story. Buffalo seem to not like the
exhaust tone of my ZRX,. They like to chase certain 'noises'.

2002 ZRX1200R
81 GPz1100
79 KZ1000st daily ride
79 KZ1000mk2 prodject
78 KZ650sr
78 KZ650b
81 KZ750e
80 KZ750ltd
77 KZ400/440 cafe project
76 KZ400/440 Fuel Injected

www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=39120.0

More
14 Oct 2013 02:04 #609933 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic Mad Dogs
I have noticed that once dogs decide to charge you (on a bike, bicycle or in a car) they tend to go in a straight line towards you and do not veer off easily. So my tactic has been to steer towards the set of teeth, let the dog pick it's line, then a little shimmy at the last moment and I'm past them.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
14 Oct 2013 13:43 #609973 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Mad Dogs
I thought I had posted this already but anyhow..

A buddy of mine hit a shepherd size dog midship at highway speeds. He was on his way to Sturgis and the dog came flying out from under a grain truck after the bike in front of him. He ended up going end over end. He messed up his hammering arm ( he was a framer) and tore up his head some (no gear). The 76 Electra glide had some major damage to including tweeked front forks.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
14 Oct 2013 21:01 #610017 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Mad Dogs

4TheKZ1000 wrote: my mom had a 6 pound wire terrier and that little chit would bite my hands like a piranha. I have dozens od 1/4 inch long white scars all over my hands from that little ball of teeth. It was like a buzz saw.

And thereby the term "Punter" was invented, LOL. To describe just such a rowdy little dog. Kidding of course. I couldn't hurt a dog.

76 KZ900
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450

More
14 Oct 2013 21:17 #610018 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic Mad Dogs

kzz1king wrote: I thought I had posted this already but anyhow..

A buddy of mine hit a shepherd size dog midship at highway speeds. He was on his way to Sturgis and the dog came flying out from under a grain truck after the bike in front of him. He ended up going end over end. He messed up his hammering arm ( he was a framer) and tore up his head some (no gear). The 76 Electra glide had some major damage to including tweeked front forks.
Wayne

Well, this is what irks me. Why owners leave dogs run loose. It shouldn't happen, even on less traveled country roads. I have a small 8 lb Chihuahua. A couple of years ago I had problem with the kids leaving the door open and the dog would get out (normally with someone outside with him). My wife was just as bad as the kids. The dog started run after people. Now he doesn't bite, but he will touch your heals if you don't turn and confront him. If you do turn towards him he will run for cover until you turn your back again. Anyhow, I had the mind set that he will never bite anyone and that he is harmless and wasn't force full enough taking steps to keep him from getting out. I did tell the kids many times to not let him out but was not listened to, especially by my wife. Well, one day I learned from the neighbor across from us that he had chased after another neighbor riding on a bike. And although the gentleman was not scared of the dog by any means, the dog got in his way and almost caused him to crash. That was the last straw, I gave the family an ultimatum. Keep letting the dog out and he will be given away. And I would have done it too. No more problems ever since. Not worth having anybody get hurt no matter home much I love the dog.

76 KZ900
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450