Chain drive, why do we want it again?

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
19 Jun 2013 16:56 #593100 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?

RonKZ650 wrote: Why in the world do they still fit chains to motorcycles. :sick:

Lighter weight, lower cost and you can play with final drive ratios to suit your particular riding style. With very few exceptions (only one that I know of) you can't change rear end gear ratios on a shaftie.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
19 Jun 2013 17:31 - 19 Jun 2013 17:32 #593105 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
Never had a problem with a chain and like Grumpy Ole Artist said I don't like the feeling of getting lifted when I pegged it.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Last edit: 19 Jun 2013 17:32 by bluej58.

More
19 Jun 2013 19:11 #593120 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?

GPz550D1 wrote: I would be so happy if I was smart enough to fit a belt drive system to my current Gpz550. Chain racket drives me nuts.

I suggest you lift the rear wheel off the ground, put the bike in neutral with the engine off, and manually spin the rear wheel. You should be able to identify the source of the chain noise. Normally drive chains make very little noise and generally can only be heard if the bike is drifting with the engine shut off, so something may be wrong with the chain, the sprockets, or the rear wheel alignment. How many miles are on the chain/sprocket set? If the chain is not running true, (i.e. the rear wheel is not adjusted so it is parallel with the centerline of the bike, or if the axle spacers are not installed correctly) the chain can make noise rubbing the sprocket sides. Also, a chain that is too tight will make noise; do you have the appropriate amount of slack in the chain? Hopefully, you will be able to sort out this problem; if not, you may experience abnormal chain/sprocket wear. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
20 Jun 2013 07:59 #593192 by DoctoRot
Replied by DoctoRot on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
the new Triumphs are the yuppie scoot of choice. Id be willing to bet he never lubed his chain causing premature failure. seen that happen before.....

More
20 Jun 2013 12:39 #593222 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
I have been riding since 1974 and have put on well over 750,000 miles on various bikes during that time. I have ridden all over the United States, through Central America, Canada, Alaska, ect. Dirt bikes, Adventure bikes and street bikes. All those miles have been on chain driven motorcycles. I have NEVER had a chain failure even when the chain was neglected. I have had chains stretch and shear all the teeth on the rear sprockets off but never a failure. Until someone comes up with a better more effecient way to transfer power I will stick with the chain drive. I have seen lots of belt failures and the handling problems of a driveshaft I really dont' like.

More
20 Jun 2013 19:43 - 20 Jun 2013 19:46 #593265 by crh
Replied by crh on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
I'd take a belt drive over a chain any day of the week for most purposes. Not all situations but for the average street bike.....they're pretty darn nice.

I will also say that if your chain drive lets you down...it's probably your own fault so reap your reward for neglected maintenance.

Modern shaft drive bikes don't have near the chassis upset issues that early shaft drive Japanese bikes like the early 80's Yamaha 750 tripple had.

JMO
Last edit: 20 Jun 2013 19:46 by crh.

More
20 Jun 2013 21:32 #593275 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?

crh wrote: ................Modern shaft drive bikes don't have near the chassis upset issues that early shaft drive Japanese bikes like the early 80's Yamaha 750 tripple had.

JMO

Maybe, but it appears they self destruct (see link). This would be a far greater concern to me. I'll pass. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/589440...want-it-again#593029

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
20 Jun 2013 23:49 #593310 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
You all bring up some good points. Still to me chain is in the same catagory as carbs vs fuel injection and points ignition vs electronic. Guys always said the same thing about these things when they do rarely have problems for sure the simple points and carbs will be easier to fix than fuel injection and electronic ignition and much less expensive when they do fail, which is more frequent. To be honest I've never had a chain failure either in all these years, but still don't like chain drive and don't want any more of them. Some motorcycles with shaft have had big problems for sure, that is a fact. I've seen pictures of a couple BMWs with the single side swingarm where the whole swingarm snapped. That will leave a dent in the wallet for sure.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
20 Jun 2013 23:50 #593311 by Dr. Gamma
Replied by Dr. Gamma on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?

DoctoRot wrote: the new Triumphs are the yuppie scoot of choice. Id be willing to bet he never lubed his chain causing premature failure. seen that happen before.....

We had few of those type customers years ago. One brought his new bike back after a few weeks of riding. He was raising holy hell in the service department because he had loud noises comimg out from around his rear wheel. After inspection by our Service Manager, he found that the chain was dragging on the swing arm, and rusted like it just came out of a lake. He then explained to mr. yuppie that he had to lube, and adjust the chain once and awhile.

The yuppie's answer..."you mean I have to adjust MY chain!!! For what I paid YOU people for this bike, it ought to do that ITSELF"

We all looked at each other and walked away shaking our heads!! There are just certain folks that should not even sit on a bike let alone ride one!!!

1972 H2 750 Cafe Racer built in 1974.
1976 KH400 Production Road Racer.
1979 Kz1000 MK. II Old AMA/WERA Superbike.
1986 RG500G 2 stroke terror.
1986 GSXR750RG The one with the clutch that rattles!

Up in the hills near Prescott, Az.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
21 Jun 2013 00:03 - 21 Jun 2013 00:10 #593316 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?

650ed wrote:

crh wrote: ................Modern shaft drive bikes don't have near the chassis upset issues that early shaft drive Japanese bikes like the early 80's Yamaha 750 tripple had.

JMO

Maybe, but it appears they self destruct (see link). This would be a far greater concern to me. I'll pass. Ed

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/589440...want-it-again#593029

"Some" may self destruct. My Voyager has 96,000 miles on it and the shaft is in good shape. I did replace the rear end gears because they were noisy at 85,000 miles when I bought it, but they didn't self destruct. Cost. $65.00 plus shipping for a used rear end .I still have the old gears and will re-shim them to reduce the backlash and try them out again some day. The shaft, u-joint and bevel gears at the engine end are like new. Shaft drives are great on touring bikes. No maintenance issues on a long trip, clean, quiet, trouble free. I'll take the shaft on the Voyager and the chain on the KZ1000. I like them both. They are suited to the application. The handling of the Voyager is not an issue with the shaft. It's not a giddy-up go machine, but it will kick some Harley ass when I need it to. :woohoo:

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
Last edit: 21 Jun 2013 00:10 by TomW.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
22 Jun 2013 23:29 #593534 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
and how bout them pesky helmets and gloves...do we really need them too...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
26 Jun 2013 22:10 #594047 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic Chain drive, why do we want it again?
Back when i had my 76 750 i took it to work to show a guy who wanted to buy it (30 miles one way) and on the way home the chain thought it was a good time to go.

Long story short two hours $20 at the nearest tractor supply and i was good to go.

Now when i get a bike i toss the chain and get a new one on her right quick

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew