You gotta love young naive harley riders

More
18 Apr 2013 18:08 - 18 Apr 2013 18:09 #582980 by baldy110
Last Saturday I rode my ELR clone to the local O-Reilly's parts store to get some parts for my sons car. While in the store I heard a large group of harley riders pull into the parking lot. I bought my stuff and walked out to the parking lot. I saw about a dozen harley's parked and a small group of them wandered over to by bike. An older guy about my age was really friendly and asked some questions about my bike. After talking about the bike he asked, "Is it fast?" I answered, "Very." A young man in his early 20's was standing next to the older guy I was talking to. This kid stares hard at me and say's, "It's not harley fast." Now this just pushed my button so I asked him what he rode. He said he rides a 2010 1200 sportster and proudly pointed to it. I asked him if he has ever ridden anything else. He proudly said, "I only ride harleys." I asked him if he wanted to race his 3 year old harley against my 31 year old Kawasaki. He said, "hell yes." I then told him I only race people for titles and if he wanted to race me it would be for titles. He promply said,"Yeah."
The older gentleman stepped in looked at me and said, "There is no way I'm a going to let him race you."
I told the older guy, "Ah, the voice of reason, maybe someone needs to educate this youg man a little or better yet broaden his mind and get him to ride something other than a harley."
The older guy apologized for the kids attitude and they all walked away. The kid was not a happy camper but the rest of them were quite friendly. I really hope the older guy told him what a mistake racing would have been. I was looking forward to owning then quickly selling a harley. Maybe another day.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 18:09 by baldy110.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2013 18:24 - 18 Apr 2013 18:29 #582983 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
If you look up the word "slow" in Webster's Dictionary the definition given says "Harley Fast." :laugh: :laugh: Ed

If you want a real chuckle take a look at this posting...

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/534727...ional-tractor#534727

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 18:29 by 650ed.

More
18 Apr 2013 20:48 #582999 by 650mod
Replied by 650mod on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
Would have taught him pretty quick what an old girl can do :)

78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

More
18 Apr 2013 20:56 - 18 Apr 2013 20:57 #583001 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
Hmmm, "Harley fast"? That's a new one on me. Is that kind of like Microsoft secure?

It would have been nice to hear about an ELR taking a young squirt to school. At least the one guy was a gentleman and saved him a lot of dough. Who knows, maybe he was still making payments. :blink:

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )
Last edit: 18 Apr 2013 20:57 by N0NB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightitup

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2013 09:21 #583065 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
Harley Davidson makes a good windbreaker if you travel behind one, like diving 25 feet into water with your arms ahead of your face vs face first.
they are not much in the way of horsepower although they have gobs of torque. undersquare engine design =Harley

More
19 Apr 2013 09:26 - 19 Apr 2013 09:27 #583067 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Luv it! B)

Had a similar situation many moons ago (Honda 750 interceptor).
Anyways, north of Phoenix in Carefree, Satisfied Frog for a burger, HD weekend warrior hang out... Chromed HD, bandanna wearing, leather you name it...

We (GF & I) stop, off the bike walking passing a group of yuppy wannabes,one smaller guy with perfectly manicured hands by the way standing next to a huge SOB starts giving me shit, Jap this, POS Honda etc... At first just ignored it but this asswipe wouldn't stop...

So I turned somewhat politely, walk over to him and calmly start drilling him about his build... "What's the displacement, bore/stroke, compression, ignition timing set at, camshafts installed, rear wheel HP, torque etc..." on his bad ass build.

Well obviously, he had no idea WTF I was talking about and the big guy just chuckled for he saw I was bitch slapping his little side kick with only words something fierce... Nothing more to say at that point and walked into the place for our burgers.

Not all HD riders are douche bags for most I have found luv the old KZ's.... Hell, most of them have asked for me to start her up just to hear that old familiar sound they remember.

There are sport bike & other rider types as well that have chips on their shoulders, just the way it is.

Anyhoot, loved hearing your story.... B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 09:27 by Old Man Rock.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
19 Apr 2013 10:44 #583077 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
Just ask a Harley rider what it is about Harleys that they can't make the gobs of horsepower that the newer Jap bikes can, like 3 per cubic inch or so. You get all kinds of answers like they're built for reliability or they have carbs, not FI. The answer, of course is they are air cooled. To make horsepower you get heat as a by product and that rear cylinder swimming in the hot air from the front one just can't get rid of the heat. Harleys are old technology. What H-D is best at is marketing. They sell an image as much as a motorcycle and the Harley crowd eats it up. That said, there are a lot of savvy Harley riders. Many of them had the big Kaws in their past and they appreciate us keeping them alive. Besides H-D is good for local economy. They sponser a stage at Summerfest and throw some wild ass parties on their anniversaries.

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
19 Apr 2013 10:59 #583081 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
As a motorcyclist who happens to ride both a Harley and my Kaw I do get a charge out of the uneducated bikers who really believe that a Harley is meant to be the king of style and performance. I stop in at the Damsite Inn here in Hell MI. for bike events and know most of the local bikers and shop owners. The bikers in the know are aware of my Killer Kaw and do enjoy setting up another guy to boast about how fast their Softtail with a stage 3 kit is the ultimate performance cycle. Then thay whisper to me to go get the Turbo bike. Its funny to see the boastfull Harley guy as the lights comes on and they realize they brought a Knife to a Gunfight LOL
It would be great fun but no one has decided to race the Kaw once they see me or my son pull up sounding like a indy car and their buddies poking them telling them they have bit off way more than they can chew :evil:

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

More
19 Apr 2013 11:01 #583082 by Hollywoodmx
Replied by Hollywoodmx on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
Its funny, I had an un interesting 78 yamaha xs750 and I cleaned it up and cafe'd it. Between that bike and my cleaned up GPz I get all kinds of people talking to me.

Now if I had bought a brand new R1, harley, ducati... I would expect no one would be randomly talking to me about the bike.

- 82 GPz1100injection
- 77 Kz1075 Supercharged
- 81 Yamaha TR-1
- 81 Yamaha xv920
Calgary

More
19 Apr 2013 16:26 - 19 Apr 2013 16:27 #583122 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
Comparing the two bikes is foolish. My bagger will destroy my KZ900 in the 1/4 mile. Never race a guy on a Harley if he has several friends and you are alone. The Old Harley guy respects these old bikes. We were all young once and thought our first bike was fast. Want to race your KLR clone against my 2008 100% stock Bagger? Or my 1990 V-Max?...Russ

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 19 Apr 2013 16:27 by Russ Jackson.

More
19 Apr 2013 16:46 #583123 by Lorcan
Replied by Lorcan on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders
I appreciate Harleys for what they are. One day I hope to grow old enough to want to ride one...

760cc - 8.69@162mph
810cc, 211mph www.750turbo.com
www.stormdragbike.com

• Street Fighter LTD
  • Away
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
19 Apr 2013 17:27 #583129 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic You gotta love young naive harley riders

Lorcan wrote: I appreciate Harleys for what they are. One day I hope to grow old enough to want to ride one...

Thats Me today, Ridimg my Geezer Glide Ultra but switching over to my Kaw to blow the stick off myself ;)

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn