Chinese pocket bike pair

More
04 Mar 2013 15:50 #575287 by apbling
Chinese pocket bike pair was created by apbling
Hi All,

I got myself a free (although wrecked) chinese pocket bike. Supposidly 49 cc 2 stroke. It looks like a pissed off weed eater motor.

Anyway, its wrecked because the little tike that owned it smashed into a tree. He broke the recoil, flywheel and part of the cast aluminum housing around the flyhweel. I know you can't weld cast aluminum well, but I need to patch it up a bit to be able to mount the recoil and the coil. (think of a lawnmower engine setup) So, a guy at work recommended some sort of putty (similar to JB Weld) that works really well. I was told that you can even tap it after it's cured. I also was told it can be purchased Fastenal... any ideas? I'd love to get it going for the kid on the way.... :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
04 Mar 2013 16:00 #575288 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
Post a picture of it,you can weld cast aluminum just depends on where its broken B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
04 Mar 2013 16:09 #575290 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
No reason you can't weld cast aluminum, I've had it done a few times on different projects.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
04 Mar 2013 19:35 #575317 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
I've had some success using Alumalloy (it's also under a few other brand names). It's basically like braze-welding or soldering. On a successful repair, the repair was stronger than the base metal. The base metal bent and broke long before the I could get the Alumalloy to separate from the base. It only requires a simple propane torch (don't use mapp, it's too hot).

The problem is, you have to get the base metal super clean to even have a chance at it working.

There are a few videos on youtube for it, if you want to look it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

More
04 Mar 2013 20:47 #575333 by apbling
Replied by apbling on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
Sure, he's a picture. You can see not only is it broken, but theres some material missing. The missing part isn't so bad, but the broken off piece needs to be strong enough to hold the coil at the right position, plus be able to hold the recoil, especially when pulling it to start.

Attachment photo.JPG not found

Attachments:

More
04 Mar 2013 20:48 #575334 by apbling
it's upside down...so the pipe actually faces downwards to the ground... you get the idea. :)

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 00:49 #575362 by wireman
Get the case pieces back as close together as you can and take a picture so we can see what is missing from the casting,looks like its pretty screwed up in that picture :sick:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
05 Mar 2013 11:24 - 05 Mar 2013 11:24 #575428 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationfor $75.00 i could make new pieces for the missing ones and weld it up.

for $60.00 you can buy this engine

bolt it on and keep the one you have for parts.

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 05 Mar 2013 11:24 by 531blackbanshee.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
05 Mar 2013 12:19 #575434 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
That's a trip, a brand new motor and carb for sixty bucks :whistle:

78 KZ1000 A2A

More
05 Mar 2013 13:11 - 05 Mar 2013 13:12 #575450 by apbling
wireman, if you look at the cresecnt moon shaped piece closest to the pipe that is the broken part. The gap that is there now is pretty darn close to what is missing. It really wouldn't be a problem but the left hand side (as the picture lays) is the mount for the coil. Plus, I'm worried that once it's put together and you yank one time on the recoil it'll come apart again.

As for replacement motor... The bike looks to be used pretty roughly already and I really don't want to stick much cash into it. Was hoping just to maybe tack it in place and use some JB weld or similar to fill in/support and see if this thing runs. If not, to the trash pile it will go. I'd much rather take the $60 and put it towards fixing up my childhood 78 Honda Z 50.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2013 13:12 by apbling.

• wireman
  • User
More
05 Mar 2013 15:42 #575470 by wireman
yeah if you can snag a motor for $60 Id be all over that,when you consider what it will take to fix that cover the right way .
By the time you spend a lot of time/money to piece that cover back together then come to find out something else is screwed up inside that motor Id be all pissed off ,then Id take sledgehammer to it! :sick:
Much better to gamble on a complete $60.00 motor in my book anyway. :laugh:

More
05 Mar 2013 17:32 #575475 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Chinese pocket bike pair
That's the biggest problem with those chinabikes, no replacement part availability.

Like wireman said, if the chassis is good, drop a $60 engine in there and be done with it. Can't find a running minibike for $60.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125