A shocker from the folks that got me into this.

More
11 Nov 2012 03:14 #557858 by Mullineaux
My brother in laws bugged me for years before I succumbed this year. got a scoot and learned to ride it. They're big bagger, full fairing, $7k+ Harley guys that thought my kz650 was kinda funny. So yesterday we're all together for a big family dinner and I mentioned to them that I had an itch to ride, I had actually been dreaming about it, so I went out for a quick 20 or so mi. They were flabbergasted. "It's 45degF out and you went riding!?! I never go out under 60deg. I went out once in 50deg and got sick!" etc. etc. I said it was no big deal, just put my helmet, hoodie, leather jacket and gloves on and I got a little cold but it wasn't that bad. The were guffawing "Well, I'd NEVER wear a full helmet, blah, blah." I'm sitting there thinking Seriously? These numbnuts that ragged on me for years see this as some sort of rolling fashion show? That's not what I thought I was getting into. I'm not trying to be hardcore or anything, I just think it's fun and I'm willing to be a little uncomfortable to have that fun plus I really don't give a crap what anyone else on 2 wheel thinks about how I look. I definitely wouldn't ride in the 30's or anything with real frostbite potential. I'm still a little dumbfounded. Am I way out there or do others still ride sub 60deg? I kinda assumed that's why they make cold weather riding gear. :blink: What's most people's cutoff? Not that I'd change I'm just trying to figure out if or how weird I am.

KZ650 ( '77 Engine, '78 frame, 80's ignition, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Pods, lowered [links])
1980 XS1100 full Vetter dresser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2012 04:16 #557875 by bluezbike
Replied by bluezbike on topic A shocker from the folks that got me into this.
Ride in whatever weather or conditions that make you feel good, long as it puts a smile on your face who should care but you. I rode for years in London in cold/hot/wet/anything.....first on a Suzuki GSX 250 (which I even took on a cross-Europe month long tour - you should have heard the negativity I got from fellow riders on that one!!!!!That remains one of my most enduring memories) then on a BMW R100RS. Started off as a way to beat the traffic as well as for the fun of it but before I knew it it became a drug and I found myself riding at all hours for no reason at all.

I will be doing a build this winter but I just couldn't wait any longer so I picked up a 79 KZ650 which I love and ride all over Seattle and Bainbridge as much as I can.

I think 35 degrees should be about the limit as then you run into ice on road issues.

79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)

More
11 Nov 2012 04:51 #557877 by Haybus
Sometimes in the teens, but not for pleasure. My commute is only 18 miles and I don't wear heated gear. If it was much further I would get heated gear. We have many months in the 40's, and a couple months in the 30's. If its in the 40's and I need to run to the store I take a car.

1976 KZ900 LTD (sort of)
2005 FJR
2009 Hayabusa
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/557845...-streetfighter-build

More
11 Nov 2012 07:32 #557885 by boatdrinks
Replied by boatdrinks on topic A shocker from the folks that got me into this.
I went for about an 80 mile ride yesterday. My wife asked me where I was going. I replied I'm on the bike it really doesn't matter! Granted it was perfect here yesterday, mid 60s and sunny but for me as long as the sun is shining and I can dress for it I'm going to ride.

Charles
Madison, AL
1978 KZ650 B2A, Luminous Dark Blue

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
11 Nov 2012 11:22 #557896 by bluej58
It's supposed to get into the 60s today and be windy, last nice day in the foreseeable future.

I'm going to do my Starved Rock loop and probably pull it into the basement for some cleaning and maintenance.

I'll ride as long as there is no chance of snow or ice, don't like rain any more either.

JD

78 KZ1000 A2A

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
11 Nov 2012 11:55 #557901 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic A shocker from the folks that got me into this.

I like to ride year round. As long as its over 40 degrees and climbing. This was from a ride with friends North East of Santa Fe New Mexico. Snow on ground , but not on roads. Just dress for it.

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

• DoctoRot
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
11 Nov 2012 13:21 - 11 Nov 2012 13:23 #557909 by DoctoRot
i ride year round. i have rode in the teens on a road trip. problem is, when its that cold your bike wont get up to operating temperature, i had to block off some of the fins with aluminum foil to get the bike warm.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2012 13:23 by DoctoRot.

More
11 Nov 2012 17:01 #557929 by OKC_Kent
Mullineaux,
Stay as far away from those in-laws as possible. They sound like the typical RUB, Rich Urban Biker. Nothing good can come of it. :)

You are in it for all the right reasons, be thankful they planted the seed. Are you involved in the relay?

kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/504860...=20&start=180#557832

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
11 Nov 2012 19:30 #557950 by moneypit
I saw a guy alot last year/winter. Coldest day I saw him it was 8 BELOW zero.
He had a side car, so its alittle safer but damn.

2-76 kz900
St Paul MN

More
11 Nov 2012 19:43 #557952 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic A shocker from the folks that got me into this.
spent a year on my bike at the time 2002 Harley FLSTS bedding down at friends houses put 10000 miles' I rember it being like 40 degrees and didnt stop raining for days 3 of us on the road al day everyday til it got to 0 and below still road but fewer and farther betweem

I came back to my senses got a job climbed back into society the 2 other guys riding with me
never have but they are still alive

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
11 Nov 2012 20:56 #557968 by bluej58
Good ride today, put on about 80 miles, filled her up 87 oct. and dumped in the Marine Stabil
It's possibly going to snow tomorrow.

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:

More
11 Nov 2012 21:26 #557972 by Topper
I have ridden in the mid 30's but prefer not to. I ride for fun, not to prove anything. So if it isn't fun, I'm not going to do it.

I've got about a 45 minute commute to work. I'll ride to work in the morning if it's in the low 40's so long as there's a promise a warmer ride home in the evening.

I have some motorcycle overpants and a quilted liner in my jacket. Other than that and some long underwear I don't really have any special winter gear.

I know plenty of Harley riders who will ride in just about any weather, rain, cold, whatever. So it's more about the rider than the ride.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys