A dead stop at Pike Place Market, Seattle

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2012 01:35 #556896 by donthaveakawman
Replied by donthaveakawman on topic A dead stop at Pike Place Market, Seattle
I can't see your profile pic too well, but general intuition tells me if you lay that thing down without a crash bar you are going to be missing some engine cooling fins buddy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
03 Nov 2012 01:39 - 03 Nov 2012 02:01 #556898 by donthaveakawman

peavylotus wrote: I was riding through the Pike Place Market a few blocks from my apartment. When I stopped at the stop sign at the end of the brick road, Its been pouring rain all day, I let off the clutch on a feathered throttle to take off. At some point unbeknown to me, the rear tire lost traction and spun. I had let off the clutch and started to pull away. When I cocked the bars left to turn, I swung a complete 180 degrees and I was now facing and heading towards the car behind me. I pulled the clutch once I unfroze from confusion as to what was happening. I didn't fall or kill the bike but It scared me like no other. All day my rear tire got loose on the rainy asphalt. So if your in Seattle, all that oil on the roads from our drought is really apparent in this heavy rain.

I have to get a new front tire soon, but am curious whether the break-in period for 100 miles can be altered if I get the mechanic to take some sandpaper to the tire while it is being balanced. I don't want to ride with a new tire in the rain, as that could be slippery even when it is dry.
I actually lost a perfectly good Shinko 712 rear tire about 4000 miles ago going through Seattle on the autobahn. my extra set of shoes fell off the back rack and into the swing arm. :( I really miss that tire I got it with 16000 miles on the bike, it matched my front one :blush: .
Last edit: 03 Nov 2012 02:01 by donthaveakawman.

More
03 Nov 2012 06:57 #556915 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic A dead stop at Pike Place Market, Seattle
We used to scuff in slicks when dirt racing using a 4" grinder with a flap wheel so I dont see why you couldn't do basically the same thing with bike tires.

Les

• donthaveakawman
  • Visitor
04 Nov 2012 17:08 #557041 by donthaveakawman

SeattleKZ wrote: I can't believe you're riding in this rain. I'm in Seattle too. The rain has been dumping. Hit me up on a dry day for some riding sometime.
grgcvl@gmail.com

can i go too?

• peavylotus
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Movin on up
More
04 Nov 2012 21:11 #557052 by peavylotus
Replied by peavylotus on topic A dead stop at Pike Place Market, Seattle

donthaveakawman wrote:

SeattleKZ wrote: I can't believe you're riding in this rain. I'm in Seattle too. The rain has been dumping. Hit me up on a dry day for some riding sometime.
grgcvl@gmail.com

can i go too?

hell yeah, just throw up your email and well set something up for the near future guys. I have to fix my charging system before I can go for a long ride but after I work out the kinks on the bike I am totally down.

1980 KZ 1045 LTD Currently Workin' It Out