Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?

More
20 Sep 2012 10:23 - 20 Sep 2012 10:25 #549848 by EricHa
Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock? was created by EricHa
Well, the NHRA is FINALLY dropping it's unfair advantage to the Vance & Hines V-Rods for 2013.

nhra.com/story/2012/9/19/2013-PSM-engines/

No more “V-Rod” technology (4 valve head and double overhead cams) that the Buells could not use. In addition, Suzukis have to be 2 valve per cylinder heads too. That could mean we see Kawasakis come back in PSB.

1977 Kawasaki KZ900A5
1975 Honda CB550K
1996 Ducati 900SS CR
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 10:25 by EricHa.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2012 10:38 #549852 by LarryC
Replied by LarryC on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
Wonder how long that will last :blink:

Larry C.

More
20 Sep 2012 10:43 #549855 by JEFFG1
Replied by JEFFG1 on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
its about time i watch nhra everyrace but when the bikes come on i do something else i am sick of watching tractors going down the track dont get me wrong they are fast tractors but dont do anything for me

1976 KZ 900 PRO STREET 1977 kz1000 dragbike project

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
More
20 Sep 2012 12:16 #549877 by Street Fighter LTD
Replied by Street Fighter LTD on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?

I wonder if NHRA will start a new class called Pro Stock Pushrod so the harleys will run only against themselves ?
Seems like a hundred years ago their was a class called Top Fuel Pushrod so the Nitro Harleys could still compete at events and win. Has to do with fan appeal as our Top Fuelers were Kaws like the old Terminal Vanlines bike and fans were miffed the ground shaking Harleys couldnt compete headsup against us.
Funny to watch a thundering Harley get beat by a quiet turbo Funny bike
Maybe our old Kaws will be staging a comeback with our 2 valve heads

Only time will tell
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
Attachments:

More
20 Sep 2012 12:30 #549881 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
Yeah the Hardleys still have advantage in engine size, they'd get their asses handed to then if they were heads up one engines. They still run 160 cubic inch compared to 107 cubic inch non harley bikes.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
20 Sep 2012 22:49 #549984 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
The kawasaki cases are the weak link in their pro stock motors. I've seen photos of the bracing they had to do to make them rigid enough and it was extensive.
Suzuki cases are stronger is one reason they have lasted this long. One of the last Kawi runners said it just got to the point that even with all the bracing they did the cases flexed enough to cause problems. They tried to get billet cases approved for both the Kawi's and Suk's but NHRA wouldn't aprrove them, although both the Buell and H-D use billet cases...or billet motors is more like it.

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110
The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• 4TheKZ1000
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2012 23:01 - 20 Sep 2012 23:09 #549987 by 4TheKZ1000
Replied by 4TheKZ1000 on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
I hate Harley's. Went to bike night.....wont say where.....out of 400 bikes only about 6 had been heavly wrenched on....the harleys were all showroom bitches that havent seen a customer wrench...but all the owners chests were pumped out?...all the bikes looked the same other than pipes, chrome packages or paint....boring.

What happened to NHRA is a crying shame....Kaw caried that sport and they owe intrest to Kaw...also what they did to Suki who tried to hang in after Kaw bailed sucks also....man, did they sell out bigtime....the history ment nothing to them. Oh shoot...dont get me started...I need a drink now...ohhhh myyy... :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Last edit: 20 Sep 2012 23:09 by 4TheKZ1000.

• gearheadmm
  • User
  • MUCH MORE BOOST..........I mean BRAVO
More
21 Sep 2012 02:42 #550020 by gearheadmm
Replied by gearheadmm on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
There was a local Chicago guy running a KZ in NHRA prostock a few years back and qualified a few times. Don't remember his name. Funny bikes make twice the power and have had problems with cases but I think the problem is stock casting 2 valve heads just can't flow enough to be competitive with 4 valve heads without breaks. Pro stock means stock. Vance & Hinds aren't playing fair.
Huckin' Farleys!!!

General Joeseph Dunford FOR PRESIDENT!!!
69.46.28.106/forum/11-projects/413221-80-kz-1000-st-recycled

More
21 Sep 2012 07:01 #550028 by les holt
Replied by les holt on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
Ray Bellucci, the man was fast! And not at just prostock. I seen one of his motors make 217 hp at the rear wheel, all MOTOR! Button start with a 900 head, not no J model or GPZ head. This motor is still on the street in, well, lets just say it's around. :evil:

Les

More
21 Sep 2012 08:18 #550035 by etbike3135
Replied by etbike3135 on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
This change will not bring Kawasaki back as a player. The Suzukis already have a 2 valve heads so nothing is going to change there. The suzukis cannot hang with the Buells right not and it will remain that way.

1973 Kawasaki Z1
18 years in dragbikes

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
21 Sep 2012 08:38 #550038 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?
untill kawasaki decides to make a limited production run of kz based streetbikes with an air cooled 16v motor i think we're pretty well screwed,Im thinking it will probably happen about the same time ford brings back a production run of flat heads with overhead cam hemi head conversion on them to make it nhra legal! :sick: :woohoo:
Screw the nhra,ill stick with little back woods tracks where people actually ride their stuff during the week and race it on the weekends.
The same way it used to be before big money hijacked the sport way back when! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
21 Sep 2012 14:43 #550108 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Kawasakis back in NHRA Pro Stock?

JEFFG1 wrote: its about time i watch nhra everyrace but when the bikes come on i do something else i am sick of watching tractors going down the track dont get me wrong they are fast tractors but dont do anything for me

+++ Infinity!

I agree with another poster, when the bikes come on I watch until the Zukes are out and then don't pay it any mind. As far as the bike class goes, NHRA is a complete sellout and it's boring, boring, boring. I was glad when the kid won the championship in 2010 as a mostly privateer effort on a Zuke. I'll bet that the powers that be over at HOG reamed the NHRA good over that one and NHRA has seen to it that nothing other than some ugly V-twin is getting close to the "championship".

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )