New Bike Wrong Title

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
16 Sep 2012 01:32 #548992 by HeartOfSwords
Replied by HeartOfSwords on topic New Bike Wrong Title

ramtough_63 wrote: the easiest way to do it would be if the guy the PO got it from would sign an affidavit stating he holds no interest in the vehicle and gives you power of attorney to do with it as you see fit
then its just a matter of the affidavit and a police report. if he wont go to the DMV with you. (and as long as it was titled in his name)

Where the problems come in with titles these day is the child support laws have allowed the courts to
put leins on vehicles and they hold interest in the vehicle until the child support arrearage has been settled.

Thank you, you have been a major help with all of this so far! Im guessing I will be stuck hunting down a replacement titled frame or something of the sort if things go south from here... Anyways, I will try and keep this thread updated as things unfold. Thanks again everyone who responded!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2012 02:27 #548999 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic New Bike Wrong Title

That is basically an old wives tale in most states without a signed work order or some sort of agreement from said person listing work to be performed and staorge fee disclosure no court will give you the lein.

But I am sure there are other ways via the court system. I had a buddy buy a harley from a sherrifs
sale with all of the propper paperwork he still had to have a court order to license it. it was only like 35.00 filing fee but took 6 weeks to do.

What state are you In?

We actually acquired an old Porsche 914 via claiming abandoned vehicle once. In AZ, so laws vary by state of course. A friend graduated from college and left it, with notarized title for us to sell for him, and a guy bought it sight unseen, sent the money, collected the title, it was legally his. But he never picked the thing up, so after three months, we filed for an abandoned vehicle with the motor vehicle department, since it was on our property. Had to send him a notification letter to pick up his car, and then I want to say there was another 30 or 60 day waiting period, and then it was ours. Brought all the documentation to the MVD and got the title for it. Never heard back from the guy.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

More
16 Sep 2012 02:31 #549000 by Del_Herring
Replied by Del_Herring on topic New Bike Wrong Title
So that may be a feasible route for you, though it takes longer, bill of sale would be easier since you say he's actually working with you. Both will essentailly go through the same stuff. They'll check the VIN to make sure it isn't reported stolen, and if it isn't and your other stuff's in order, they'll get you a title.

1983 KZ750-N2 Spectre

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
16 Sep 2012 03:37 #549002 by HeartOfSwords
Yeah that definately sounds like itd be what I need to do. The hard part is that the guy who is working with me is the one I traded with, but according to our discovery the guy he got the bike from may be the registered owner. I dont know for sure but if he is he is claiming to be waiting for the title in the mail. I dont know who this other guy is though. Thats why I am researching other methods in case people "disappear" on me...

More
16 Sep 2012 14:13 - 16 Sep 2012 14:15 #549073 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic New Bike Wrong Title
Tell him to fix the issue or you'll show up unannounced for batting practice. :)
Oh well lesson learned, always check VINs and ask for sellers drivers license.Always make sure there is no lien as well. If they wont do that, walk away.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 14:15 by OldSchoolZ.

• HeartOfSwords
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Yeah, I Can Fly...
More
16 Sep 2012 16:23 #549087 by HeartOfSwords

OldSchoolZ wrote: Tell him to fix the issue or you'll show up unannounced for batting practice. :)
Oh well lesson learned, always check VINs and ask for sellers drivers license.Always make sure there is no lien as well. If they wont do that, walk away.

LOL, now theres an idea! :laugh: The thing is, the guy I traded with was completely sure that he had bought a Yamaha frame and replaced the old frame with it until I told him that the VIN doesnt match. He had the title in his name and we transferred it to me no problem. Only problem was that the title is to another bike... :unsure: So I am writing up a bill of sale with the bikes actual VIN number and having him sign it so I will have some sort of record. My prob is not with the guy I traded with, but with the fact that I am relying on someone who I do not know and have no contact with...