Z-wheelies

More
02 Sep 2012 13:50 #546218 by OldSchoolZ
Z-wheelies was created by OldSchoolZ
I was curious if anyone here has done standup wheelies on a KZ. My sportbikes, no problem easy, but back when I rode Z's years ago, no-one knew what a standup was. If you could sit down wheelie, you were doing great. The wheelbase is much longer, so it shouldnt have to come up as high to find balance point. Might have to bounce the crap out if it to bring it up though.
Rear sets should help also, getting your standing weight back a bit more.
Guess I'll go play with it some when I get my Z on the road. Just thought it would be fun to do next to a few sportbikes, especially if they cant :laugh:
I've got a few videos over at uponone.com if anyone wants a link.

Remember, don't work on your bike so much you never ride it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2012 17:03 #546253 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic Z-wheelies
could not find you there?

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

More
02 Sep 2012 21:34 - 07 Sep 2012 18:24 #546279 by OldSchoolZ
Replied by OldSchoolZ on topic Z-wheelies
Titled " No Slow Here" I never got into slow stunting and circles and stuff, too much like dancing with your motorcycle. Plus anyone can learn the slow stuff.
That was my slow Gixxer 1000 :P
My other vids I guess were replaced? or too old IDK.

Last edit: 07 Sep 2012 18:24 by OldSchoolZ.

More
02 Sep 2012 22:35 #546290 by kzcurt
Replied by kzcurt on topic Z-wheelies
crazy. :S wish i was younger :P
I dont quite understand how the bike goes up? does it have that large of a balance point? It appears to go up slowly and that would make me think you were almost all throttle to pull up.
never ridden a crotch rocket. my son has a Gsxr 1100 guess I should take it for a ride! :)

Flag carrier #23
9 @ 50-2053,

More
03 Sep 2012 00:59 - 03 Sep 2012 01:07 #546313 by OldSchoolZ
Hey Whats up Curt. I'm 45 :laugh: been riding since I was a kid, had one of the first GSXR750s to hit Houston Tx in 1986, first aluminum frame production cafe racer.

When you stand up, the wind pushes on your upper body hard, and standing up changes the bikes center of gravity. In that vid, its second gear 75-80 mph at about 7-8k rpm just lean back a small bit and roll on throttle then shift 3rd if you like, wind gets to be too much in a stand up after about 120-130( you dont want to let off the gas and the bike keep floating). Its much harder controlling the throttle on a 1000. 750s are simple. If you throttle slightly too much on the 1000 it can spit you over in a split second.

Cross wind is a major factor as well. I usually wouldnt do it if the wind has more than 7-10 mph cross wind. You steer in the wind by dropping the nose just a bit and turning the front wheel, keep in mind that only controls the front of the bike, to get the rear wheel to track even with the front in the wind, you have to put more weight on one footpeg or the other, this allows the bike to turn sideways slightly and the rear wheel will line up with the front.
If winds behind you easy, if winds in front, not too bad except wheel comes up faster and you have to be ready.
I can pull the front wheel and carry it from 100 mph in 3rd with slight clutch and a small bounce on the front end, compressing the forks.
I never push anyone to wheelie and explain to them what can go wrong.

I once sat the wheel down at 120 and my arms had arm pump(muscle fatigue) the front wheel came down slightly turned and it instantly went into a 120 mph tank slapper, yanked the bars right out of my hands. I sprained both my wrists grabbing at the bars in panic. Somehow I got a hold of them, the tire was squacking loudly and forcing me to the side of the road.
I still wonder how terrible that crash would have been hadn't I grabbed the bars before I went off the road.
My friends were all seasoned riders and they were freaking out watching. :laugh:

When I was 21 I back flipped at about 90 with a 1/2 shirt on and no gloves, I laid on the floor for 3 months and had rash on 80 percent of my back, almost to the bone on my elbows.
You'll notice in my avatar, thats a knee-in-the-seat wheelie, pretty dangerous since you have no foot covering the rear brake.

I always say if you cant handle the pain, dont play the game.

Last edit: 03 Sep 2012 01:07 by OldSchoolZ.

More
03 Sep 2012 01:19 #546316 by Tomolu5
Replied by Tomolu5 on topic Z-wheelies
I dunno man, I can ride em all day long at 70+mph, 04 gsxr 750 70 mph, lots of clutch and pre load; do it all, slow down, change lanes, round bends. Tryin to ride em slow (10 or less) takes a buttload more balance, gotta stand that thing straight up to get balance. The wind really let's you ride it a lot lower.

That said, I'm sure with clutch and bounce, the old girl will get it up, but you better make damn sure you got some power left on tap for setting that heavy sumbitch down, the old girls leave a bit to be desired in the gooseneck strengthwise. That said, I'm dumb, ill try it!

Mine:
04 Honda rebel 250(wifes)
04 GSXR 750(bolt on galore)
98 CBR 600F3(filter, pipe, adjustable cam sprokets, dyno tune)
76 KZ900A (LTD gauge pods, crash bars, LTD(style)pipes, dyna coils and ignition,headwork and mild port cleanup by cavanaugh racing, K&N filter pods, heck I dunno.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Sep 2012 01:58 #546320 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Z-wheelies
Wheelies are easy on old 900s,theyre even easier when you have an 1197 top end on top of it with a stock length swingarm! :woohoo:
We were doing 100mph wheelies and flat tracking these old things like kenny roberts 30 years ago,long before there was sport bikes with good suspension and frames that could handle 150 plus hp motors! :woohoo:
These new bikes are like flying an f16 yeah theyre freaking fast but theyre like flying a video game!
Now riding fast on an old z1 is like flying an old ww1 bi-plane with a ww2 p51 mustang motor stuffed into it,totally interactive experiance trying to keep the ass end from passing up the front end! :woohoo:

Attachment imagesCALQ3R6M_2012-09-03.jpg not found

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldSchoolZ

More
03 Sep 2012 02:02 #546321 by OldSchoolZ
:laugh: Tomolu5, wear full gear! :) I'd feel bad if something happened :( Curious though.
The weight will be the getting used too.
And Wireman...Giggidy Giggidy :laugh:

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
03 Sep 2012 02:18 #546324 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Z-wheelies

Attachment 011_11_0001_2012-09-03.JPG not found

I used that same old worn out ltd seat on several bikes besides the 1197 z1,had it on my 1327 bike also.
Notice where its smashed in the center between the 2 levels,thats where my ass spent most of its time with rest of me laying over the tank trying to keep from back flipping off of it in my stupid days! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.
Attachments:

More
03 Sep 2012 08:07 #546339 by Sorf
Replied by Sorf on topic Z-wheelies
Like this?

More
03 Sep 2012 10:56 #546350 by OldSchoolZ
B) I had a feeling this thread might turn into fun. Good pics.
Hey Sorf, is that the balance point on your bike? That seems so high :ohmy:

The following user(s) said Thank You: wireman

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
03 Sep 2012 11:13 #546355 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic Z-wheelies
God i love this thread. More kz shenanigans

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..