The dark side

More
15 May 2012 14:47 #522521 by T_Dub
Replied by T_Dub on topic The dark side
Nice!! I bet you really rip it up with that. :woohoo:

Josh, you're a smart guy. Why the hell did they put an oil tube on the back of the engine from the block to the head? Seems like a case of lazy engineers to me. And I know theres a case for having two cam chains but it sure adds complexity/weight. And how did they make a 750 with 4 valves/cylinder that has no more power than a KZ750 engine? I like the appearance of the bike but I definitely could question some of their design decisions. Ah well, should be a fun build.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2012 16:06 #522537 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic The dark side
aw :sick: ,

i just feel sorry for your mother :whistle: ,

she always had such high hopes for you :P !

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

More
15 May 2012 16:39 - 15 May 2012 16:40 #522544 by T_Dub
Ha! I still have a KZ that I think is far superior to the Honda. The handling on the KZ feels great by the way. Havent done much on her yet but I bet that swingarm is one of the best ever fitted to a KZ.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler
Last edit: 15 May 2012 16:40 by T_Dub.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 531blackbanshee

More
15 May 2012 17:27 - 15 May 2012 17:31 #522549 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic The dark side
aw nice tyler, :blush: make me feel like a chump for ribbing you,by complimenting my mad fab skills on your swingarm :whistle: .

i was just joking :woohoo: i didn't realize you were going to get all passive aggressive on me :pinch: .

i think it would make a great "buddy bike"that way you keep em in there place. :P

which is behind your kz :evil: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0
Last edit: 15 May 2012 17:31 by 531blackbanshee.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
15 May 2012 22:13 #522594 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic The dark side

T_Dub wrote: Nice!! I bet you really rip it up with that. :woohoo:

Josh, you're a smart guy. Why the hell did they put an oil tube on the back of the engine from the block to the head? Seems like a case of lazy engineers to me. And I know theres a case for having two cam chains but it sure adds complexity/weight. And how did they make a 750 with 4 valves/cylinder that has no more power than a KZ750 engine? I like the appearance of the bike but I definitely could question some of their design decisions. Ah well, should be a fun build.

You caused me to actually look at that bike for the first time in a while. Honestly, I hadn't noticed that line before, but it looks like a return line to me. I could see running it outside of the block to keep from soaking in heat from the cylinders. Brought to you by the company that designed the SOHC 750. Look at the oil flow diagram for that motor and you will think the DOHC is simple.

I think Honda has tried lots of stuff just to try it. They have a lot of financial resources and have come up with some advancements, so it's logical that they would have tried some things that don't make sense. Heck they made oval pistons. I bet the guys who had to make the rings were real happy when they got those prints.

I'm not a big fan of dual cam chains either. I think the less chains the better. Those kind of things make me wish I could have been there when they designed the thing so I could better understand the decision making process. If I know anything about Honda, it's that they aren't afraid of complexity. Generally, I disagree with that principal, but we wouldn't have lots of things that we take for granted these days if we tried to keep everything as simple as can be.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
15 May 2012 22:21 - 15 May 2012 22:37 #522595 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic The dark side

;) B) :) :P :laugh: :ohmy: :sick: :angry: :blink: :( :unsure: :kiss: :woohoo: :lol: :silly: :pinch: :side: :whistle: :evil: :S :blush: :cheer: :huh: :dry:

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 May 2012 22:37 by bluej58.

More
16 May 2012 09:51 #522664 by T_Dub

testarossa wrote: You caused me to actually look at that bike for the first time in a while. Honestly, I hadn't noticed that line before, but it looks like a return line to me. I could see running it outside of the block to keep from soaking in heat from the cylinders. Brought to you by the company that designed the SOHC 750. Look at the oil flow diagram for that motor and you will think the DOHC is simple.

I think Honda has tried lots of stuff just to try it. They have a lot of financial resources and have come up with some advancements, so it's logical that they would have tried some things that don't make sense. Heck they made oval pistons. I bet the guys who had to make the rings were real happy when they got those prints.

I'm not a big fan of dual cam chains either. I think the less chains the better. Those kind of things make me wish I could have been there when they designed the thing so I could better understand the decision making process. If I know anything about Honda, it's that they aren't afraid of complexity. Generally, I disagree with that principal, but we wouldn't have lots of things that we take for granted these days if we tried to keep everything as simple as can be.

I dont mind a bit of complexity, but not at the cost of performance/reliability. I've read though that the dual cam chains was so the cam tunnel was further forward so that the intake ports could be shorter. They fixed that later on with downdraught carbs, liquid cooling and sprockets on the end of the cams.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler