Harley davidson or vulcan

More
10 Mar 2012 13:07 #508877 by KraZyRIDER
Replied by KraZyRIDER on topic Harley davidson or vulcan

faffi wrote: What matter is that we ride, not what we ride.

...I would agree with you on that, but it's not exactly what people ride that separates them, it's HOW they ride that separates them.

...for instance, it's not unusual to see and Ninja and a Hayabusa riding together. As a matter of fact, I see it all the time. What I don't see, is a Ninja, or a Hayabuse riding with a Super Glide. Why, because of the different riding styles. That even applies to riders with the same brand of motorcycle. Like how many times do you see a Vulcan cruising with a ZX14-R, or a Electra Glide Classic riding with a Nightster. Not very often, if at all.

...that doesn't mean we won't sit down and have a beer with each other, or jaw about bikes, sports, or whatever. We just march to the beat of a different drummer when it comes to riding bikes.

...like I said, I agree, it's the fact that we ride and not what we ride. With that being said, there will still always be competition between brands of bikes. A love hate relationship that has been around since the first two wheeler hit the streets. What fun would it be, when you and a few friends were hangin' out on your Z's and KZ's and another friend comes along with a brand new YZF he just got and you all looked at it and said, what a nice bike you got! Borrrrring! It's lots more fun riding his ass telling him that it reminds you of your wife's new washing machine, isn't it? You can always tell him later that its a nice ride.

... ;)

Mean Green Speed Machine!
1979 KZ 650-C3 (Cafe Project)
1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2012 21:02 #508933 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Harley davidson or vulcan
Actually, I see very different bikes riding together all the time; sport, tour, dual-sport and cruiser riding is a group is surprisingly common.

Never understood this loyalty to a brand, either. It's what the bike is and can do that counts, not the label on the fuel tank.

Many years ago, I had a Honda CB350 Four. I had modified the stock 4-4 exhaust system into a much neater 4-2 by using only the upper muffler on each side. I'd also painted the bike Laverda orange. The fun bit about it was the whereever I stopped, people would instantly gravitate towards it. Riding on board a ferry in UK, the crew totally ignored the Harley 1340 and shouted "He's got a 350 Four!". There could be new or old bikes around me, big or small, but my little anomaly was what people wanted to know about. For me, that showed that most people have the ability to look beyond brand and a certain style. If they see something of interest, they want to look closer. I know that for me, it will be the same bikes I gravitate towards no matter what I ride at the moment.

However, you are correct that a group will work best when everybody want to ride at a similar pace. That can work across any number of bike styles, but if they all want to go fast they will all need capable bikes, or there will be a mismatch that can annoy many. But I find that most sport bike riders have chicken strips at least an inch wide, which mean you can easily keep up with any cruiser B)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
10 Mar 2012 21:34 #508945 by KraZyRIDER

faffi wrote: Actually, I see very different bikes riding together all the time; sport, tour, dual-sport and cruiser riding is a group is surprisingly common.

...I see that around here, too. But, that's usually on a Friday night when all are heading to the local bar.

... :woohoo:

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
11 Mar 2012 10:44 #509017 by faffi
Replied by faffi on topic Harley davidson or vulcan
The limit here is BAC 0.2% before you lose your license for 2 years, so very, very few will ride to the pub. Which is a good thing B)

1977 KZ650B1
1980 F1 engine
B1 3-phase alternator
B1 Points ignition

More
11 Mar 2012 10:54 #509022 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Harley davidson or vulcan
Wife wants the comfort w/wrap around back rest... Still a Kawi so I'm good with it...

No brainer...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2012 12:07 #509042 by KraZyRIDER

faffi wrote: The limit here is BAC 0.2% before you lose your license for 2 years, so very, very few will ride to the pub. Which is a good thing B)

...that's why you keep it local and drink responsibly. B)

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
11 Mar 2012 12:18 #509045 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Harley davidson or vulcan

Attachment omrurinalclownbeer.jpg not found

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2012 19:12 #509085 by KraZyRIDER
...hahahaha, great pic! :laugh:

...but, I'm still afraid of Clowns. :unsure:

1982 GPz 750-R1
1981 GPz 1100-B1
2005 H-D XL1200C
2006 H-D XL1200C

More
11 Mar 2012 20:22 #509103 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic Harley davidson or vulcan

Old Man Rock wrote: Wife wants the comfort w/wrap around back rest... Still a Kawi so I'm good with it...

No brainer...

Way to go OMR. I just bought an 07 1600 Vulcan Nomad. Great Bike, And it didn't cost me 15K like a Harley would have. I considered an HD till I really "looked" into them. Harley is just way to old school for me. Come on," Pushrod motors" this is 2012. Sure they hold their value, but who buys a bike just to resell it?? I bought mine to ride, not to haul around in my truck and say "hey look at me,I have a Harley." That's just not worth the extra dough and wrenchtime that a Harley requires. Kawasaki all the way !!!! Go Mother Kaw.

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

More
11 Mar 2012 20:51 #509107 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Harley davidson or vulcan
As was said earlier, look at the type of riding that you want to do. Are you carrying baggage with you? Will you be? Are you getting something to ride some distance on, or are you bar-hopping? Are you getting a bike for everyone to look at you? Or are you getting a bike to ride?
I had a 94 883 sportster, and put 90k on it in 3 1/2 years. Other than changing the rocker-box gaskets and a new spedo cable, the only other thing I did was change the oil! I take that back, I did once have to fix a wire that came loose and the fuse box, and replace a fuel line. But for 90,000 miles, I think that's pretty good.
I don't know too much about the vulcan. How it rides, how it runs, and so on. I'd check it out, and see how those that ride one like it, and go from there. Who cares what a bike looks like? If someone brings that up, it's their own insecurities talking. I'm much more "function" over "form".

I'd say ride them both, see what one you like, and go with that one. And let the words of anyone who speaks disrespectfully get lost in the wind. ;)

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive

More
11 Mar 2012 21:00 #509112 by jonnybravo
Replied by jonnybravo on topic Harley davidson or vulcan
and now the discussion degenerates, here's another opinion, cruisers are for pussies, buy a fukin car if u want comfort, :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
11 Mar 2012 21:03 #509114 by Chaotic Reason
Replied by Chaotic Reason on topic Harley davidson or vulcan
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michael
1980 KZ1000 shaft drive