Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 14 Mar 2012 12:27 #509581

• Heyst
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Really a shame there isnt anyone in eastern canada for the eastern leg. Im talking primarily the maritimes (ns, nb, pei) and newfieland. I saw T_Dub was in NFLD but there is no one between us and ontario haha. No frenchers ride KZ's? or is it Z de K haha. im not hating! Quebec has some of the best beer haha 8.5%

if the flag is traveling east of ontario I wouldnt mind seeing an updated map!I checked the eastern leg and its all ontario. so really it should be called the central leg haha
Baseball = 1 ball
Basketball = 1 ball
football = 1 ball
Building your own hardtail? = 2 balls
1980 Kz550 Hardtail Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 15 Mar 2012 17:23 #509842

• koolaid_kid
  • User
  • Thank you received: 99
Well, I just had lunch with Brian Wringer (bwringer on GSR) and told him what we are doing. I asked and he accepted to be our guide on the day les holt and I get the flags. For those of you who do not know him, a bit of history. He runs the yearly GSR Brown County Rally. He knows southern Indiana like the back of his hand. He is unbelievable smooth and fast, even on a lowly GS850. He also owns a KLR650 if the group requires him to ride a Kawasaki. He is, overall, just one heck of a guy.
So, anyone in group 2, specifically (but not exclusively) RAMTOUGH_63, ANDY9802gt, les holt, and KZ_Rage, want to enjoy a day of absolutely awesome twisties, be sure to attend.
1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 15 Mar 2012 17:33 #509846

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
Sounds great to me, I'll bring up the rear. :laugh: Love to watch those road course guys but I'm not one!
Any idea when this might be coming? I'm supposed to go to another facility for 2 week but when is kinda up to me.

Les

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 15 Mar 2012 17:54 #509852

• koolaid_kid
  • User
I'll answer the last question first: there has only been one handoff in one week, and that is only the first Eastern group. We are the second Eastern group. So I suspect it will be a while.

Now, about riding group style in the twisties. We require that every rider ride at a pace they are comfortable with. This is known as The Pace. If you get behind, we don't care. We stop at both stop signs and turns and wait for everyone to catch up. If we grow concerned, the group will backtrack until we find you.
We had one rider that rode at what we called "Stop and Smell the Roses" pace. We did not care. For larger groups we break up into groups that ride at roughly the same pace, but our group is too small. If required, I will lead the slower group, although I personally prefer to keep Brian in sight because I can pace myself to his speed. We will also be stopping for photo opportunities, such as covered bridges and quaint spots, which allows everyone to regroup and share lies, I mean experiences. It is a good time, I assure you.
The last requirement is that every rider is ATGATT. If you show up and you are not, we will respectfully ask you to not proceed any further. Well, we will actually tell you to go home. We do not compromise on this requirement. At all.
1983 GPz 750

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 15 Mar 2012 19:07 #509866

• les holt
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 288
ATGATT?
I'm really not all that bad, just overly cautious in unknown territory if you know what I mean. One little slip can do more than take out the ride. Had a guy get killed few yrs ago around here, just simply missed a corner on a road he knew because he was paying attention to the other riders more than the road.

Les

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 15 Mar 2012 19:43 #509877

• koolaid_kid
  • User

les holt wrote: ATGATT?
I'm really not all that bad, just overly cautious in unknown territory if you know what I mean. One little slip can do more than take out the ride. Had a guy get killed few yrs ago around here, just simply missed a corner on a road he knew because he was paying attention to the other riders more than the road.

Les

That is the beauty of group riding. You can follow the person in front of you and know that your speed and lines are acceptable for the conditions. Not sure about that particular accident, but if you group ride correctly you always look where you want to go, not where you are. I can find some material if you wish and point you to it. The way we ride no one would ever consider losing sight of the road.
We also pay attention to the riding style of a new rider. If we feel he is exceeding his skills (we can tell) we discuss it with him and ask him to ride within his limits. It's not about going balls to the walls, it is about having fun on some of the most fantastic roads around.

ATGATT is All The Gear All The Time>
Boots
Riding pants (not jeans)
Riding jacket (not a street jacket)
Riding gloves (not driving gloves)
Full face or flip up helmet
ATGATT affords the most protection while participating in a very dangerous sport, every cage on the road is out to get us.
Standard gear for a motorcyclist, not a biker,whose gear may be tennis shoes, jeans, blue jean jacket and no helmet.
1983 GPz 750

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 15 Mar 2012 19:48 #509881

• koolaid_kid
  • User
IN GSR we have had quite a few accidents, several with skilled riders, most with folk who exceeded their skill level. I personally have witnessed two. Both riders were exceeding their skill levels and I saw it way before it happened. I told myself, this is not going to be good, and both times I helped pull the bike off them.
1983 GPz 750

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 16 Mar 2012 10:59 #510002

• koolaid_kid
  • User
I would like to add that if folks don't want to ride any twisties that is fine also. This is a group thing, and I will go with whatever everyone wants. It is just that the area we will be in has some of the finest roads in Indiana and I thought folk would welcome the opportunity to have a bit of fun. It was only a suggestion.
Thanks
1983 GPz 750

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 16 Mar 2012 11:08 #510003

• ramtough_63
  • User
  • Thank you received: 132
I will have momma on the back with me not that we dont like twisties. I am up for a ride through the countryside for sure.
1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 16 Mar 2012 11:41 #510008

• koolaid_kid
  • User
That's kool. I am certain that we can find some gentle roads where we can see some interesting things like covered bridges, quaint villages, that sort of stuff without getting into anything radical.
Thanks for responding.
1983 GPz 750

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 16 Mar 2012 12:05 #510009

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
  • Thank you received: 18
I love carving it up but with an 8" over arm it's a little hard to do.
'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm

North American Relay Ride Leg #2 16 Mar 2012 12:14 #510012

• koolaid_kid
  • User

andy9802gt wrote: I love carving it up but with an 8" over arm it's a little hard to do.

O.K., you lost me. What is an 8" over arm?
1983 GPz 750