I might be getting into some trouble...

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Dec 2011 22:07 #494666 by Kitten Tooth
I might be getting into some trouble... was created by Kitten Tooth
Alrighty, a friend of mine has a Kawasaki bayou 220 ATV that he wants to get rid of. He got it a few years back and road it damn near all the time. Im not quite sure how it ran as long as it did but it finally pooped out last Spring. My friend isn't too good with ATVs and motorcycles and he never stored it away properly for the winter so the carb got all nasty from old gas. If something broke, he took it to a shop to get it fixed. Anyways, this last spring, him and his dad tore the carburetor apart... COMPLETELY apart. even the little cir-clip that holds to needle into the diaphragm. I guess they shot the hell out of it with carb cleaner and then did their best to put it back together. They turned the fuel on and it wouldn't start so there it sat for like half of the summer. I finally convinced his dad to let me take a look at it and what i found was not pretty. Both the clamps that held that carb into place were missing and when i removed the top cap to remove the throttle cable off the carb, i found that the needle was just sticking out of the main jet and the cir-clip was gone. They also put the needle valve in backwards so all the gas poured out. Basically, they worked on it and now i don't know whats what. He wants 400 bucks for it. Cosmetically its pretty much beautiful... (or at least as beautiful as an ATV can be). The motor felt like it had great compression when i pulled the pull starter on the side of the motor. I found a carb on ebay for about 80 bucks and i found rebuild kits on there for about 14 bucks. Do you guys think its worth it? Also The price aint gonna go down any more. i got him down to 400 from 600 bucks.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Dec 2011 07:34 #494691 by Beaker
Replied by Beaker on topic I might be getting into some trouble...
Your in better shape than you think just luckily they didnt run it with the carb in that shape otherwise i believe the top end would be torched out so i would check my top end get the carb and the rebuild kit after all its an E bay carb so you need a kit and spare parts wich your original carb will supply,,,have fun

Beaker

• andy9802gt
  • User
  • If it tastes that good, eat it yourself.
More
26 Dec 2011 10:53 #494703 by andy9802gt
Replied by andy9802gt on topic I might be getting into some trouble...
Buy it! Fix the carb and get it running and then sell it for $800 and buy bike parts.

'78 KZ1075 LTD
stage 1 head by Larry Cavanaugh
race built crank by John Pearson
Mikuni rs34's
k410 cams
back cut tranny
8" over D&G swinger
proving once again that age and treachery is better than youth and enthusiasm