Winter Storage

• KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Dec 2011 14:19 #491674 by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
Winter Storage was created by KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA
OK, I put a stablizer in the gas and oil and ran the carbs dry until she died with the petcock off.

Sprayed light oil on the chrome and all nut and screwheads. She's in and covered but it is in cold storage.

The inside of the gas tank concerns me. Should I drain it and keep it in the warm house for the winter? Or just fill it all the way up?

I'd like to bring it in the house for the winter but you-know-who would complain.
Any suggestions?

1979 KZ1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2011 14:32 #491679 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Winter Storage

KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA wrote: OK, I put a stablizer in the gas and oil and ran the carbs dry until she died with the petcock off.

Sprayed light oil on the chrome and all nut and screwheads. She's in and covered but it is in cold storage.

The inside of the gas tank concerns me. Should I drain it and keep it in the warm house for the winter? Or just fill it all the way up?

I'd like to bring it in the house for the winter but you-know-who would complain.
Any suggestions?

All good prep. :cheer:

Would just fill the tank.

Would also consider removing the fuel hose from the petcock, attaching a temporary fuel hose, and pinching off the temporary fuel hose.

This is to prevent any fuel from reaching the carb bowls if the petcock happens to allow some fuel to pass despite being supposedly turned "off."

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: KZ1000LTDPENNSYLVANIA

More
06 Dec 2011 00:42 #491818 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Winter Storage
You only want to fill the tank if you can get ethanol free gas somewhere in your area. The ethanol sucks water out of the air and it will sit in the bottom of your tank. drain the tank and take it inside wrap it in plastic wrap so it's air tight or leave the cap open.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
06 Dec 2011 01:39 #491826 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Winter Storage
Why not just start it up about every week or 2 and let it run for 15-20 minutes? That keeps oil on cylinder walls, prevents carbs from gumming up, and keeps the battery charged. I've been doing that with mine for the past 34 years. The only time I ever had a problem was the one year I did not do that - result was gummed up carbs. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)