Suzuki dent in piston?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2011 21:50 #491561 by Kitten Tooth
Suzuki dent in piston? was created by Kitten Tooth
Hey guys. i just had a quick question about my suzuki that i had rebuilt a few years ago.. a few posts on here, i mentioned it and started thinking about it again. Its a 1983 suzuki GS300L twin. when i re-assembled everything after i got it back from the machine shop, i had it sitting under a work bench in my kitchen (before we moved) with no spark plugs in it. I must has cleaned off the table and a little tiny nail dropped down into the combustion chamber from the table... i didnt know it until i did the timing and put a wrench on the end of the crank to make sure everything was ok... i cranked it and something felt wrong so i disassembled everything to take a look. After removing the head i found a nail sitting on top of the piston and when i took it out i also found a very small dent in the piston and on the bottom of the head (on a flat surface of the head). I would post this issue on the GSResources but i cant remember my login so i figured i would ask you guys. I already asked my local mechanic and he said it might cause a hot spot in the piston. I have been scared to torque everything down in fear of needing to dis-assemble it again and having to get new gaskets and im scared to even start it up cause i dont want to ruin the motor. So really my question is... should i be scared? :D back then i had some money in my pocket and it was supposed to be a parts bike for my 82' GS300L (my first bike). We decided to get some stuff for the parts bike and try to get it running. We found it had bad compression so i took it to my mechanic to have it took apart. He didnt charge me anything to pull it apart but we found surface rust on the cylinder walls. So about 4-500 dollars later i had a machined head and nice honed cylinders with new rings. Then my own stupidity might have ruined the motor again:/ i only have 700 bucks into the little bastard including buying it. I dont even have a title for it either..

any help would be greatly appreciated,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Dec 2011 21:52 #491563 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Suzuki dent in piston?

Just a fun video of my first bike
:)

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
06 Dec 2011 03:47 #491836 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Suzuki dent in piston?
Just smooth or round off any sharp edges, then you'll never tell the difference.

KD9JUR