Throttle cable/throttle housing help

More
01 Dec 2011 21:09 #491027 by sweetbro
Throttle cable/throttle housing help was created by sweetbro
Hey guys,

I need help with a throttle housing issue. Didnt really see a more specific place for hand control stuff. Anyway, here is my deal. I have a "universal" throttle housing from Motion Pro. Turns out it is based off old honda stuff. I am using it on my KZ1000. My issue is this. The threaded elbows that come out of my stock KZ are the same thread, but the "push" cable hole on the motion pro unit is larger. I would rather not order a custom just to basically adapt the size of this thread. Ironically, I ordered a new push cable for the KZ 2 weeks ago.

Does anyone have any ideas? And I mean ideas like "go to home depot and.............."

Not "Order new cables!"

Lemme know if you know anything clever.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2011 21:56 #491032 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help
:unsure: Is the problem at hand a matter of the KZ cable fitting wallowing around inside the hole?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
02 Dec 2011 02:39 #491057 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help
THE MOTION PRO UNIT HOLE WAS PROBALLY STRIPPED OUT.
FILL IT WITH AN EPOXY OR A JB WELD TYPE OF STUFF.
GOOD INDUSTRIAL DEV-CON PRODUCTS HAVE A RELEASE AGENT. LIKE A GREASE SO THE CABLE CAN STILL BE TURNED
AFTER IS HAS HARDENED AROUND IT.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

More
02 Dec 2011 05:31 #491066 by sweetbro
Replied by sweetbro on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help
I will post some pics tomorrow, but nothing is damaged, both parts are fresh out of the packaging with in the last 2 weeks. I think that a metal apoxy might work, especially if I used a spray wax on it so it wouldnt stick.

-Josh

More
04 Dec 2011 12:05 #491446 by s1elr
Replied by s1elr on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help
my plans for cr 33 w/push/pull setup is a 06 zx600r stock. I dont have pics yet, but have seen them complete for less than 30.00 on ebay. hope this helps.s1elr

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
04 Dec 2011 12:11 - 04 Dec 2011 12:11 #491447 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help

sweetbro wrote: I will post some pics tomorrow, but nothing is damaged, both parts are fresh out of the packaging with in the last 2 weeks. I think that a metal apoxy might work, especially if I used a spray wax on it so it wouldnt stick.
-Josh

Throw up a couple of pictures, that would help.
But I'm thinking a piece of Nylon Bushing. You could slot it to go over the cable if needed. Lowes or Ace has them, sorry Homedepot probably not.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...
Last edit: 04 Dec 2011 12:11 by Motor Head.

More
05 Dec 2011 20:16 #491754 by sweetbro
Replied by sweetbro on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help
K, so I olbviously slacked on the pics. But here is the problem, the elbow is smaller diameter at the threads than the throttle housing.

I tried teflon tape, but it didnt cut it, just too much space to take up.

I ended up going with JB Weld. I white lithium waxed the threads on the elbow and let it dry. Then I jammed it full of JB Weld. I let it dry and I was able to thread it out. Then I cleaned up the throttle body with an exacto knife. It works great! Ha

More
05 Dec 2011 21:23 #491771 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Throttle cable/throttle housing help
Unless you seriously want the look of dual cables, I'd just toss the push cable and run only the pull. Fill the void in the housing with JB weld or whatever.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.