what made you buy your kz

More
13 Dec 2012 16:38 #562830 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic what made you buy your kz
This "coupon" has no reason to be in this thread. This is not the chit chat forum.

lushbaugh wrote: had this coupon... figured id use it.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Dec 2012 16:53 #562832 by 650mod
Replied by 650mod on topic what made you buy your kz
About 4 years ago, I was riding a little Yamaha Maxim 400. A good little bike for getting around town, but I couldn't really ride it like I wanted to. One weekend, I was reading through the classifieds section in my local paper. I saw an add for a "78 Kawasaki kz 650, good condition, $1,000". I then googled images of the bike, and saw that they were fairly customizable. I think I instantly fell in love with the old-school curves of the bike.

So I figured I would call the guy and see what was up with the bike. Turns out it sat in his shed from 1987-2009 covered over. When I showed up to take a peek at the bike, I knew I couldn't say no to it. Paint was nice and clean, chrome was still decent, and the frame was clean, little bit of rust here and there. Charged the battery up, tinkered with it a bit, and got it running. It ran ok, but cold starts weren't great. I knew it would take some work, but I already had an idea as to what I wanted to do with the bike.

The guy settled on $800 for it, and I rode it home a weekend after. Almost 4 years later, a few grand spend, and a complete tear down, engine rebuild, frame paint and body paint job later, I almost have her where I want her. This winter, I'm updating the suspension and brakes- she's getting a '99 Ninja 900 rear end (monoshock) with a 2001 Buell X1 Lightning front end. By the time I'm done, she's going to be a Franken-kaw, but that's just what I like about these bikes- there's almost endless possibilities :)

78 kz 650 custom
Wiseco 720cc big bore
Dynajet stage 3 carb kit with pods
2002 Kawasaki Z750 exhaust
2001 Buell lightning front end
1999 Ninja 600 swingarm with 1999 Ninja 900 rear rim
converted to monoshock rear
Too many goodies to list fully

• lushbaugh
  • User
  • everybodys a pro......
More
13 Dec 2012 17:04 #562833 by lushbaugh
Replied by lushbaugh on topic what made you buy your kz
it was a joke mtbspeedfreak, sorry it bothered you. anyway, i purchased my bike off my dad because hes to beat up to ride it and i would rather have it than someone else

79 kz1000 ltd all apart
the best advice i can give is dont take dnthavakawmans advice..

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Dec 2012 17:21 #562836 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic what made you buy your kz
:)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
13 Dec 2012 17:23 #562837 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic what made you buy your kz
After 11 years, I was tired of the extreme maintenance required running a BSA flattrack engine on the street. Being accustomed to my 300 pound BSA I didn’t want a really big bike, so the 1000cc bikes were out. I saw the following 2 ads and read all the road tests on the KZ650 and other brands in the 650 – 750cc range. My choices narrowed down to the KZ650 or the Ducati 750SS. Once I saw the KZ650 in person I was hooked, and I’ve never wanted to switch. It’s the perfect bike for me. Ed

Attachment 00002.jpg not found

Mine...

Attachment LEFTBIKE0001.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2012 18:38 #562843 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic what made you buy your kz
My mid-life crisis came a little early and I took the MSF class. Then I bought the cheapest POS motorcycle I could afford in Craigslist. I didn't want a crotch rocket, didn't want a HOG, so I found a '88 KZ305. That particular bike wasn't horrible, but it was in the hands of a terrible mechanic (me) and a novice rider (also me) and I managed to kill it, but not before I developed a love and appreciation for these old Kawasakis.

Now I'm riding a '79 KZ750. Not a real in demand model, but I love it. It's easy to work on, fun to ride and reliable(ish). ;)

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
13 Dec 2012 18:56 #562848 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic what made you buy your kz

This was my first KZ. Before that the only Kawasaki I had was the 750 tripple Bought it cause it was just about mint with 4k on it. It was to nice to ride and keep covered outside so rented a garage and bought another to ride and then a few more since I got the disease!
Attachments:

More
13 Dec 2012 20:04 #562858 by flhwesty
Replied by flhwesty on topic what made you buy your kz
MAD MAX

1983 GPZ750
1977 KZ1000LTD
1978 Z1R
1981 GPz1100 KZ1100-B1

More
13 Dec 2012 22:31 #562879 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic what made you buy your kz
Something to ride HARD and put away wet. lol

LarryC wrote: I bought mine because it came with an accessory....this way you have something to ride indoors and out... :kiss:

Attachment 4597.jpg not found

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
13 Dec 2012 22:56 #562883 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic what made you buy your kz
My 74 900 was my first street bike, still have it! It was the only time in my life that I g=had the fastest production anything :cheer: Have had a few more since,some for parts, some fixed and sold, one to chop and all to enjoy.
Wayne

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
14 Dec 2012 00:30 - 14 Dec 2012 00:32 #562891 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic what made you buy your kz
Well, I remember clearly, my father had purchased an 850 Suzuki rotary one of the first liquid cooled bikes on the street at that time I believe. I remember riding on the back of all of his motorcycles. He had so many bikes it was crazy. This bike he bought because it was a bit of a novelty. So, he was thinking the fan wasn't working to cool the bike and took it in to the shop so they could look at it and in return they gave him a 73 Z1 that was one of the mechanic's bikes. Man it wasn't any ordinary bike. I clearly remember as if it were like five seconds ago him cracking open that throttle in front of St. Mary's church in Aurora. The comments made just before were directed at the guy riding an H2 who almost lost it going around a corner on Root St. He said those bikes were all widow makers. I asked him why and he responded that more of those bikes ended up wrapped around telephone poles that stayed on the rode just before he cracked open the throttle and caused me to be scared outta my mind. In that same moment I KNEW I would own one of those bikes. It was just a matter of time. 1974-5, I was six years old maybe?
None of the motorcycles he ever owned has affected me in that way. I always wanted that Z1. HOWEVER, the crazy thing is that they were always very expensive. I found a Z1 for about 900 dollars back in 87. It looked a little molested but he wouldn't come down on the price. I made the mistake of telling a friend of my wild passion and he passed it on to a friend of his. Well, I finally came up with the rest of the cash and went back. Someone had just gone the day before to buy it. Guess who? Now, this guy was a wild child. He tore the bike up within a week and turned it into a basket case. Literally, he took it apart piece by piece. I was devastated. I always wanted a Z with the oval tail and cool side covers and fat tank. Damn! So, I scoured the papers and went from place to place looking at them. Saw several Z's with oval tail lights and all of them with serious issues.

FINALLY, one came up again. Was a 79 with 5k on the clock. Price was much higher than what I got it for. I remember going to check it out and throttle was frozen closed and the tank was just as bad as the carbs. Seat looked perfect till I sat on it and then it cracked at the seams. All original and never molested, just severely neglected. Well, I began to negotiate the price way down and every day I would hound him, nobody was going to buy a bike like that for a grand when they could get one working condition albeit newer for a grand with 10k miles and a worn out rear tire on it. So, finally one day I decided to walk over and bring five hundred cash with me to buy the bike. Can't remember if we had talked on phone earlier and he finally agreed. I went over to his house and knocked on the door. No answer, but I told him I would be by. WTF? I wanted this bike before anyone else realized it was for sale and snagged it. I kept knocking and finally he came to the door in a towel. Talk about coitus kawruptus. I apologized profusely to him said that I would come back later when he was dressed and finished with what I had interupted. He laughed and said forget about it and told me to wait till he got some clothes on. I think he said 600 and I brought 500 and told him that I would end up buying new battery, carbs, tank and a seat and that my offer was more than generous and he should take it. I caught him at a weak moment so he probably said ok just to get rid of me. lol
I remember not being able to start it up so my friend and I pushed it all the way to my house were I tore it apart and after a thousand attempts at trying to get those carbs clean and running right I tore them off and finally got a set of smoothbore carbs.
I still have that bike, it's in my avatar pic. I have gotten a taste of ZRX and loved it so much I bought two of them but still can't get that out of my system. I will never sell my kz's or even my REX's. I love Ma Kaw. No two ways about it the Z bikes are the real deal.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 14 Dec 2012 00:32 by saxjonz.

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
More
14 Dec 2012 01:25 #562909 by bluej58
Replied by bluej58 on topic what made you buy your kz
Because, that's what you rode ;)

78 KZ1000 A2A
Attachments: