Possibly returning to the forums! (with a KZ750E1)

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
14 Oct 2011 01:38 - 14 Oct 2011 01:58 #483081 by clutch
Congrats on the new bike! It looks to be in pretty good shape!!! I'm not sure about the gaskets or backrest, but I do have a lot of parts laying around that I took off my bike, so if you run into anything you need, feel free to let me know.

~Clutch :)

EDIT: This is what mine looked like when I picked it up...yours is in WAY better shape!

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...
Last edit: 14 Oct 2011 01:58 by clutch.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2011 06:24 #483112 by Patton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

DivideOverflow wrote: ...anyone know what universal backrests may fit? I'm looking for a small one, not the 3 ft tall ones. My wife doesn't like to ride without one.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 Oct 2011 06:32 #483113 by Patton

DivideOverflow wrote: ...Anyone know if there are gaskets that fit the cross pipe?....

Per kawasaki.com, the gasket is part no. 11060-1051, and remains "active," meaning it's still available through Kawasaki dealerships.

Lots of good info on kawasaki.com, including parts diagrams, part numbers, models sharing same part, availability, etc.

Here's a link for help with navigating the site and finding information.

Click > kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...w&catid=13&id=376734

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
14 Oct 2011 09:52 #483131 by Motor Head
That's great that it worked out to get it, very clean Bike you got there.
The best racks and back rests I've found have been local through Craigs List. Although Feebay does have quite a few. I like the K&G rack with adjustable Back Rest/ Sissy Bar, it has a clamp on each side so you can slide the bar forward or backwards.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2011 09:55 #483132 by DivideOverflow
Replied by DivideOverflow on topic Possibly returning to the forums! (with a KZ750E1)
Thanks! I bought the back rest and the exhaust gaskets. Those gaskets aren't cheap.. best I found was 8.50/piece plus shipping (with a 15% discount). I hope they do the trick.

The only functional issue other than the exhaust leak is the clutch cable needs a good cleaning/lubing. Ill probably do the throttle cable while I'm at it.

I hope that back rest looks decent, it is hard to tell from the pictures what it looks like on the bike.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew

• Motor Head
  • User
More
14 Oct 2011 10:00 #483134 by Motor Head
If the clutch feels stiff, lube the cable, but also the Pivot mechanism in the left engine sprocket cover. There is the Lever and Balls that get pretty dirty, lots of old chain lube collecting road grime. Best to go right over and check, lube, service, everything. That way its ready for riding without worries.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2011 10:28 - 14 Oct 2011 10:30 #483140 by DivideOverflow
Replied by DivideOverflow on topic Possibly returning to the forums! (with a KZ750E1)
Yeah, that pivot sounds a bit squeaky. I definitely need to clean that part up.

I just saw a picture of a harley with that backrest I bought on it... looks too raked back. Ill have to see when I get it, and ill need to get a pad for it.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew
Last edit: 14 Oct 2011 10:30 by DivideOverflow.

More
15 Oct 2011 10:49 #483316 by JR
Here's mine
Picture looks a lot better than it really is. A lot of not stock - read salvage yard - parts like chain guard, mirrors, turn signals, airbox etc + oil cooler and a recovered seat. One of these days I'll pick up a chrome 4->2 exhaust.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Attachments:

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Oct 2011 12:41 #483336 by DivideOverflow
It does look good in the pic! Nothing wrong with junk yard parts. Otherwise, there wouldn't be half of the running bikes out there that there are. I like the shiny chain guard, it looks like it goes with the bike.

Did anyone have an answer on how to fix one of my rear shocks? The top adjuster spins freely, and doesn't actually change the value.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew

More
15 Oct 2011 19:12 #483379 by JR

DivideOverflow wrote: ..............Did anyone have an answer on how to fix one of my rear shocks? The top adjuster spins freely, and doesn't actually change the value.

One of my shocks has always been like that. I just leave the shock on the highest setting. If I ever need to change it I have a strap wrench I can use. I think my best solution would be to buy a new pair of shocks.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Oct 2011 17:22 #483556 by DivideOverflow
Wow! I'm going through the bike to make sure everything is set correctly, and I found that the chain is pulled banjo tight. I'm embarrassed I didn't check it before riding it home. I never did understand how people think that is how it is supposed to be. I hope the PO wasn't riding around too long like that.

Now I have half a mind to go through the carbs to check up on what he did (said he just did a carb kit to stock specifications). It is a little slow to warm up, but seems to run fine once warm. I guess I should invest in a carb sync tool and at least make sure they are synced.

Considering my bro has a CB900, we could both use it.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew

• Motor Head
  • User
More
16 Oct 2011 19:04 #483575 by Motor Head
"Now I have half a mind to go through the carbs to check up on what he did (said he just did a carb kit to stock specifications). It is a little slow to warm up, but seems to run fine once warm. I guess I should invest in a carb sync tool and at least make sure they are synced."

Have a look at this.
www.kzrider.com/filebase/doc_download/18...fferential-manometer
Super easy to build, and works very well. :)