Possibly returning to the forums! (with a KZ750E1)

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Oct 2011 19:58 #482203 by DivideOverflow
I was on these forums a long time ago when I had my 1979 KZ650, which became my brother's when I got another bike, then was neglected, and was eventually sold.

I've gone through several bikes since then, and I've been bikeless for almost a year (damn expensive house that needs work is what did it)! But now I've annoyed my wife enough, we are trying to pull together to get me another bike. I always enjoyed the 650, so when I saw a nice 750 pop up on craigslist it got my attention.

The bike is a 1980 KZ750E1. It is a Canadian bike, though, but it is titled correctly here so that shouldn't be a problem. I was wondering if anyone knew any differences between the canadian and US version (aside from the small horsepower difference of 77hp vs 74hp respectively, and the silly kph speedometer :laugh: ).

The bike appears to be very clean, and only has 5000 miles on it.

Here are a few pics for looking:

I'm going to see it on Tuesday, I'm hoping it is a clean as it looks, and there aren't any hidden problems.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2011 20:19 #482206 by Boostable
I dont know of any differences myself, but it looks like a very clean bike!! Best of luck.

~Jack

1982 KZ1000 J2 ~ Project (Street Fighter - Project Section)
1976 KZ900 - Daily Rider

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
09 Oct 2011 22:06 #482213 by Motor Head
That looks like a very nice bike.
The biggest differences would be the lack of the Air injection system/ emissions. Also a Normal Jet Needle with grooves for tuning. Snatch that bad boy up and Enjoy!!!

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• tybolt99
  • User
  • From where KZs came
More
10 Oct 2011 00:40 #482258 by tybolt99
I was looking at the bike in CL.
Are you in NC?
Sounds like many things were done recently.
Looks very clean.
Good luck. ;)

82 KZ750 H3
76 KZ900 A4
74 Z1A
73 Z1 (on the shelf)
84 ZN1300
Franklinton, NC

• clutch
  • User
  • I wish I had a tad more patience to do it better!
More
10 Oct 2011 02:21 #482281 by clutch
The 750 E is a great bike. I love mine! It looks nice in the pics, but how recent are they? In one photo it has a 1/4 fairing and the other it does not. You might want to see the bike before you make an offer ;)

Southern Maryland, USA

1980 KZ250 LTD (traded, but still missed)
1982 KZ750 E3 (Cafe Project) (Dyna-S, Dyna Coils, V&H 4-1, K&N Pods, 6 Sigma Jet Kit, Acewell Computer, Woodcraft Clip-ons, Custom Rewire)
1966 A1 Samurai (Restoration Project)

Wish List:
KZ1000 P (For a "touring" bike)
Z1 (need I...

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2011 07:07 #482297 by DivideOverflow
Replied by DivideOverflow on topic Possibly returning to the forums! (with a KZ750E1)
Yeah, I'm in nc. They guy is close enough to meet me on our lunch break. I assume he at least has been to these forums, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up seeing the post. Lol.

The more recent pics he sent me have the quarter fairing on. I like it, personally.

The only issue with the bike, that he says doesn't work like it should, is an exhaust leak in the crossover pipe connections on the exhaust. He said it looks like it hit a speed bump or something, and there are no gaskets at the connections.

I'm definitely going to see it tomorrow before making any kind of offer. I've bought enough bikes to never buy sight unseen.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
10 Oct 2011 09:02 #482306 by testarossa
Keep in mind that the silly kph speedometer also counts the odometer as kilometers. 5000km = 3106.8 miles. Even better! Looks like a good bike from the pictures, but we all know how many flaws a CL picture will hide. Good luck, and welcome back.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
10 Oct 2011 14:08 #482342 by Jack
Biggest difference is the Canadian / Euro versions of the 79-80 KZ motors was no EPA mandated smog system in the cylinder head. No block off plates required, the castings are different. Nice looking low mileage bike.

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2011 14:50 #482345 by DivideOverflow
Replied by DivideOverflow on topic Possibly returning to the forums! (with a KZ750E1)

testarossa wrote: Keep in mind that the silly kph speedometer also counts the odometer as kilometers. 5000km = 3106.8 miles. Even better! Looks like a good bike from the pictures, but we all know how many flaws a CL picture will hide. Good luck, and welcome back.

It is 5000 miles, I already converted it for you :) I hope it at least has the mph as the inside numbers (like we have for kph on our speedos)

Also, he emailed me some nice high res pictures of the bike (the pics are also nearly 3 megs each). Physically, it looks good. The only thing I saw some surface rust on was the drop bar(engine guards), which is aftermarket anyway, and probably doesn't have as good of a chrome layer...I'm guessing it might polish out. I'm praying for no rust in the tank... that was a pain with my previous 650.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew

More
10 Oct 2011 20:42 #482401 by JR
Looks very good. Looks pretty much all original. It would be great if you could could mend that cross pipe.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
11 Oct 2011 15:25 - 11 Oct 2011 15:28 #482568 by DivideOverflow
Well, I went to see it. It looks pretty good, the pictures are a fair representation. A little surface rust on the pipes in a few places, and on the engine guard, but I saw that in the pics I have.

The tires are basically brand new, he did go up a size on both the front and the rear in size. I forgot to write down what they were, maybe that would result in an accurate speedo. He did have to adjust the front fender a little to keep it from dragging on the larger tire, but it looks good.

The motor started right up with choke, the bike was cold when I got there. Quickly went to the beautiful kz idle we know and love. He had gone through the carbs and walked through what he did. He bypassed the vacuum reserve on the petcock so it is just gravity fed, he said he couldn't get the vacuum part to work right.

The gas tank looked pretty clean, but there was some overspray in there. It looks like the tank was touched up previously (hard to tell looking at it, it was a good job). He pointed out that there were light scratches on the exhaust on that side, and light scratches on the rubber bar end. It looks like it either tipped over at a walking pace, and someone almost saved it. Nothing was dented. He does have an inline fuel filter... I might try to get that overspray out though... it is just a little just inside the neck.

All the lights and electric were great. He said he replaced the brake cylinders, and the brakes seemed to work fine. The front forks felt good too.

On one of the rear shocks, the adjuster at the top of the shock turns freely, and he doesn't have the tool for the bottom adjustment. He said the bottom can be turned by hand on the center stand, but he couldn't get the top one fixed on that side. I'm assuming the top is rebound. Any way to fix that aside from setting the setting with the shock apart? He set it second from the softest. I'm about 100 lbs heavier than him, plus I want to do 2up on it. So I want that sucker cranked up.

Overall, it looks like a good bike that should fit what I am looking for. We came to an agreement, so ill probably pick it up this week.

Edit: oh! And it definitely leaks on both sides of the cross pipe. He said he couldn't find the appropriate gasket for that connection. Any ideas? He tried the exhaust wrap and it blew out. I guess worst case I could weld it, or does it need to separate to be removed?

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew
Last edit: 11 Oct 2011 15:28 by DivideOverflow.

• DivideOverflow
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
13 Oct 2011 22:37 #483041 by DivideOverflow
Well, I got it! It is some old school fun, definitely has some character.

Anyone know if there are gaskets that fit the cross pipe?

Also, anyone know what universal backrests may fit? I'm looking for a small one, not the 3 ft tall ones. My wife doesn't like to ride without one.

1980 KZ750E1
North Carolina Crew