New ideas for these Old things

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
29 Sep 2011 14:56 #480440 by daveo
New ideas for these Old things was created by daveo
If you are anything like me, and have owned your old bike for a dozen years (or so)...you may have had an idea (or two) that improves the way it works.
I am there too, but keeping some improvements a secret...when so many other KZ zeek's would benefit from them as well, seems selfish.
But here's the rub...some ideas you can't just give away. Kind of like telling everyone about your favorite Walleye fishing hole. They are worth much more than the time invested, especially when considering they are proven, fully functional, and working.

So, what's the point?

I don't know...except that I've got to start making some money (somehow), or I'll be having an extra (small) helmet if I don't.

1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2011 16:02 #480446 by KZJOE900
Replied by KZJOE900 on topic New ideas for these Old things
Just like any idea that has the potential of making money, you should have it patented so only you will have the legal right to profit. From a scientific perspective, you should post your ideas in a journal or forum (what better forum than KZR?) for your peers to review. Thereby, the they may point out it has already been done. Or, they can test your ideas and confirm your results can be replicated. This may save you a lot of time in the long run. Good luck.

Current project 76 KZ900 (This was a Vetter model)
76 KZ900
81 XJ550H SECA (Current Project)
82 XJ550R SECA
Past:
86 FJ1200
74 Z1900
72 CB450
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

More
29 Sep 2011 16:10 #480447 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic New ideas for these Old things
I post pretty much any idea or knowledge that I think will help.

I'd rather help people to maintain these bikes in running condition for as little money as possible. That will keep more of these bikes on the road.

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
29 Sep 2011 16:17 - 29 Sep 2011 16:20 #480448 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic New ideas for these Old things
Dear KZJOE900,

Thank you for the thoughtful suggestions. How would you suggest exposing an idea on this (wonderful!) forum? I have no desire or resources to pursue a patent, and believe the market for this particular idea would be limited.

Please view at my post on the Carburator subject of "Pods vs. Air Box"

1982 KZ1100-A2

Last edit: 29 Sep 2011 16:20 by daveo. Reason: mistake

More
29 Sep 2011 16:27 #480449 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic New ideas for these Old things
A friend of mine was converting his lawn mower to propane, and I described to him a simple way to make a propane mixer. It worked great and cost virtually nothing. He posted it and someone used that to start selling instructions, on paper, on ebay. That guy has made a few bucks selling the plans.

You could try that.

The plans the guy sells are nothing earth shattering, and someone could easily piece it together through a bunch of google searches, but it would take a long time. I guess what he's really selling is a condensed set of information as a time saver.

More
29 Sep 2011 17:09 #480452 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic New ideas for these Old things
Not to sound xenophobic, but I wouldn't bother patenting anything because the countries that ignore patent laws (CHINA) will just rip it off anyway and sell it here for two cents each.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• daveo
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
More
29 Sep 2011 17:18 #480454 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic New ideas for these Old things
Unless I can make it better!

1982 KZ1100-A2

More
29 Sep 2011 22:09 #480501 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic New ideas for these Old things
If you plan to try to sell performance improvements I respectfully suggest you first provide dyno sheets that show the results of your improvements. Some folks honestly believe they have stumbled on a magic bullet when in fact they have simply made changes that improved the performance of a bike that was under-performing to start with and is now performing as well as a stock bike. Please understand that I’m not implying that is the case with you; it’s just that there are so many bogus "improvements" being offered in the auto/bike world that without some 3rd party evidence folks may doubt your claims. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
29 Sep 2011 22:25 #480510 by Godfrey
Replied by Godfrey on topic New ideas for these Old things
Actually its much easier and cheaper to copyright an idea then patent it, and easier to enforce if need be. Although I haven't done so myself I am also aware of more then a few patents , once issued , recieved a simple letter form the government stating in the interest of national security , you maynot persue marketing of this product, and thats legally binding. I don't believe thats an issue with a copyright.
I also know that people can sell plans for products that other people have a patent on and they can't be touched, again not so with a copyright.

Godfrey

1981 650CSR frame

1980 KZ750E engine

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
29 Sep 2011 22:27 - 29 Sep 2011 22:27 #480511 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic New ideas for these Old things
okay i'm game and... i'll buy two ,how much?

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 29 Sep 2011 22:27 by trianglelaguna.

More
29 Sep 2011 23:27 #480526 by ramtough_63
Replied by ramtough_63 on topic New ideas for these Old things
Cheap easy semi binding copyright. detail your plan hand written and typed Take Photos with a Film camera enclose a notarized copy (optional) stuff it all including negetives in an envelope Mail it to yourself. Then start marketing and showing people it works soliciting orders or improvement ideas.

If someone rips it off and makes millions, send them a registered letter indicating they are producing a product, design, or whatever the case. after you have designed and started marketing it.

if they dont respond let a bulldog lawyer take it from there. Dont forget noone opens the letter after you receive it so make copies.

a music industry buddy of mine did that with his music, another friend had Coca Cola settle with him on a bottle design

Just a thought. Me i'm not that ambitious

1978 KZ1000 A2
Thrown Together To Ride Til Winter
Facebook Page
Free Range Custom Art

1982/83 750R/GPZ
1984 Goldwing 1200 Interstate
1982 Yamahopper QT50
Previous
2 79 HD sporty XLH
02 HD FLSTS Heritage
60's HD Hummer
70's Honda 550 Four
70 Yamaha 100
and various enduros dirtbikes minibikes...

More
04 Oct 2011 07:28 #481302 by Mookachacka
Replied by Mookachacka on topic New ideas for these Old things
Sharing is caring! If it's knowladge that would benefit the KZ comunity as a whole I would just share it, if it was some typ of product that requiers a level of manufacutrin that most people don't posess I would maybe try and sell either the product or the rights to manaufacutr it.

The thing is, if it's easy enough to make it yourself at least someone at some point will share the knowladge, and the it can be copied for ones own use without patent laws or copyright dito would enforce anything.