Eric Buell

More
24 Sep 2011 23:58 #479332 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Eric Buell

ultimate fighter wrote: Mr. buell has to differentiate from the harley buell. Harley is watching him like a hawk, because they hold his patents and will sue at the hint of him using one.

I applaud the break away. He will now have the consumer interest and the following to make and sell an exponentially better bike without having to run his plans by a group that prides itself on styling over performance.

Erik’s new venture will consist of the making and selling of Buell 1125R-based race-use-only motorcycles, which will are under license from Harley-Davidson.

LINK

The only patents Harley got from Erik are the ones he applied for as an employee of Harley (and Harley has licensed those patents to him), he keeps the patents he owned prior to his employment.

KD9JUR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2011 00:09 #479335 by elfmagic17
Replied by elfmagic17 on topic Eric Buell
Did anyone watch the video of the engine assembly in youtube? MAN THAT PISTON LOOKS HUGE!!! :woohoo:

Kenny Hicks
74 Honda CB550
75 Honda CB360 (runs and rides good but not a show bike)
77 KZ650B1 (Runs Great, but needs painted and a little work.)

More
25 Sep 2011 00:42 #479342 by Godfrey
Replied by Godfrey on topic Eric Buell
Actually I had a friend who was able to tour the manufacturing do some hands on,, his comments are as follows:

Harley bought him out and ran Buel into the ground....so he started EBR....uses a Rotax engine...190 HP, 345 lbs....our SAE section got to tour his new place and see his parts , bikes and stuff...pretty much a race ready bike for the street; but being a premium sport bike, it also comes with a similar price tag....he's pretty cool to hear speak....very passionate about it...we got to handle parts, see bikes going together.... talk with the engine builder,handle engine parts too.$40k for the base model,actually, with all the custom, billet and exotic materials we saw on that thing... $40 seemed cheap. magnesium cast wheels, front part of the frame is alum and also is the gas tank, rear part where the seat is magnesium....the front brake assy out performs duel caliper setups and is 7 lbs lighter....also meets all noise and pollution standards quite easily....50 state cert, just remove the resonator with the cat and go racing...they had this cool clutch on it...you could set it up to grab when you want... so you could be in 6th gear, dump it to first and it would just slip until you got to where you wanted it to grab....

Here is the link for the engine build:

72 deg V, they actually gut the engines, put all new internals, are buying raw castings from the head casting place and machining and porting it themselves...I think this is the bike he always wanted to build....Harely never wanted to try and go into that market...

Godfrey

1981 650CSR frame

1980 KZ750E engine

More
25 Sep 2011 10:21 #479388 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic Eric Buell
Aesthetics could be debated, but man, thats a lot of tech going into a bike and I would love to ride that beast. Cracking that throttle would be very addictive :silly:

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

More
25 Sep 2011 11:00 #479401 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Eric Buell
In one of my MC mags, they had a write up & pics on the new build... Seems the race model/build is going to compete with the big boys on the GP circuit. B)

I don't have a scanner so I'll take some pictures of the article and see how it comes out to post.... Interesting write up...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
26 Sep 2011 19:42 - 26 Sep 2011 19:42 #479769 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Eric Buell
I gotta go with Jeff on this one, to build a brand you have to get buyers when they're young, simply making them wish for one doesn't put more butts in seats later when they have disposable income. I just wonder how well this Buell type bike will translate when true cost cutting comes in for his affordable version.

"Be assured that the standard 1190RS won’t be any less expensive than was a Ducati 1098R, and the Carbon Edition will be more expensive yet. And also be assured that Erik Buell doesn’t plan on being in just the boutiquesport bike business; he intends to follow these $40,000-plus machines with more affordable versions." ~ Steve Anderson, Cycle World Quote

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)
Last edit: 26 Sep 2011 19:42 by KZ_Rage.

More
27 Sep 2011 20:36 #480040 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Eric Buell
Selling a few very expensive bikes will probably be very easy. There are a number of collectors that'll jump at the chance to own a 'limited Edition' bike. ut I doubt Buell will make much money on a few dozen specials.

I just can't see him getting his bikes down to a price point where local dealers will signup to sell them. Their investment in training across sales, service, parts, warranty, software, etc. will be high - and for how many different models? and how few unit sales? HD throws a fit when their dealers bring other brands into the same dealer building.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,